News Mackay signs *another* contract extension to the end of 2020!

Will David Mackay get another contract?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
This is the latest we know... from Lee Gaskin...

"The Crows have yet to offer 220-game stalwart Mackay, 31, a contract for next year."
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-11/2019-free-agents-who-will-stay-who-will-go-latest-whispers
We are just waiting for the exodus of players in the trade period so we know how much coin we can offer him.

The value he adds in not clogging up the weights room is worth a few $100kay alone.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
We are just waiting for the exodus of players in the trade period so we know how much coin we can offer him.

The value he adds in not clogging up the weights room is worth a few $100kay alone.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Or, we've told him he's not getting a contract (pretty, please), and he and his manager are weighing up his options. Does he retire, or leave himself to be delisted? He's a free agent, so maybe hoping for some interest from elsewhere (unlikely). Anyway, I'm just hoping for this scenario.

He should have been told the same day as Douggie that he was not required.

Last edited:
Watch us hide the Mackay contract extension announcement at the bottom of the new coach signing article.

CrowMan90

Team Captain
Sep 23, 2014
Japan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool,Barcelona, Roma
Delisting Hunter is apparently likely to be our only list change until trade week. It's happening.
Maybe the decision depends on who comes and goes during the trade period. But I’m sure most on here feel it shouldn’t come to that.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe the decision depends on who comes and goes during the trade period. But I’m sure most on here feel it shouldn’t come to that.

Very much so. If we’re looking at pick 105 or Mackay, the little spud will get another year on, I hope, very little. I think we’ll genuinely be needing to do a couple of 1 out, 2 usable picks in type trades to avoid extending Mackay. We’re not strong enough to not give a 12 year ‘loyal servant’ a 1 year gift in favour of pick 100+ in the draft.

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Mackay should be gone by now. Hopefully, the new coach will see it that way.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
If we delist everyone this year then we will have to trade out some good players next year to comply with AFL rules. One year extensions for a few back up players makes sense (like Andy Otten last year). Our biggest problem is that we can’t resist playing these guys if we get a few injuries.

I have no problem with us playing Wilson and Mackay in the Twos.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rowey said yesterday Mackay has a contract offer in front of him, must be s**t for him not to have signed it yet

Scrogdogg

Club Legend
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
You'd think so - it's been his best season. He was however back to his normal standard of turnovers against the witches hats on weekend and in the Port game, but that appears to be what the coaches like, so I'm assuming he's safe.

Would love to see a compilation of his contests and physical body'work' over the last 5 or so seasons. My bet is he is nullified and dispossessed in 99% of those occasions.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rowey said yesterday Mackay has a contract offer in front of him, must be s**t for him not to have signed it yet

Appalling list management. Why would you sign a 30+ year old fringe player prior to a appointing a new senior coach and possibly senior assistant? Sheer stupidity.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Maybe he has been inundated with offers from other clubs and is sifting through them

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Appalling list management. Why would you sign a 30+ year old fringe player prior to a appointing a new senior coach and possibly senior assistant? Sheer stupidity.
I can only assume it's a 1 year deal on min wage.

I'm sure there will be a raft of teams lining up with multi year deals for him given his elite run and carry. A direct replacement for Brad Hill at Freo or Geelong can do with more midfield speed.🙄

Actually, what about Nobes gets him up to Brisbane...🤔

Sep 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

No worse than pushing out Betts, Greenwood and particularly Alex Keath - unfortunately very confident MacKay will be on the list next year, which is okay provided he is in behind every 25 and under player on the list for a game in the 1’s

Back