Remove this Banner Ad

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
A bit of talk about Harry lately.
We all know how good he can be at his best, but is he now past his best?
I'm always torn when a champ gets towards the end. But, of course, the team must come first.

An excerpt from the following article poses this very question...

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2018/12/11/mortality

"If you’re a Geelong supporter, you’d feel quite comfortable with Harry Taylor nearing the end. Jack Henry slotted into the Geelong defence seamlessly in 2018, complementing a stingy bunch consisting of Bews, Blicavs, Stewart and Kolodjashnij (thanks AFL app – I have never once spelt that name correctly from memory). After just eight games in 2018, and turning 33 during season 2019, Taylor is staring down the barrel of what could be his final year. He was there for the glory days, but with that back six looking solid without him, Harry’s time as a top-level defender may be past him.

Reports out of Geelong are Harry is in tremendous nick, but you hear that every year about many players every year. If he is, having Taylor down back at the moment is a
luxury, because the future has already arrived in Geelong, and his name is Jack Henry."

l don't think Henry is tall enough to play as a central key, more the 3rd tall forward or back.
Harry is 195cm compared to Henry's 191cm so in reality he's just tall medium flanker size.
I've seen Taylor have to use plenty of smarts against the bigger forwards so l wouldn't like Henry's chances at only 191cm standing flat footed.
Atm l definitely see a position for Taylor, with him and Blicavs central l think we can neutralize forward aerial threats and Henry the 3rd up intercept option.

Last edited:
The one I see on the outer is Henderson. With Blicavs' emergence as a key defender, plus the fact that Harry has enough runs on the board to at least have first crack at being our 2nd key defender, that leaves Henderson out of the side for mine, as long as SavRat and Hawkins are holding down the key forward positions as well.

The one I see on the outer is Henderson. With Blicavs' emergence as a key defender, plus the fact that Harry has enough runs on the board to at least have first crack at being our 2nd key defender, that leaves Henderson out of the side for mine, as long as SavRat and Hawkins are holding down the key forward positions as well.
You might be on the money there.
Although I'm not 100% convinced Henderson is finished, I think he is first in the firing line when it comes to the tall backs.

only need 2 big tall defenders and a couple of mediums

having more than 4 of those types is terrible and stifles run and carry

2 out of Taylor, Henderson, Blicavs, Kolo
2 out of Henry, Stewart, Kolo

just play Taylor and Henderson in the VFL as cover

Taylor might be in great condition but its his last year and we already have suitable replacements.

Henderson is in a similar position but if we are persisting with Kolo then he has to be backup.

Team balance and structures should always take priority over individual players.

YES!!! Henderson is OUT!!! Taylor is just too smart a player and too good at reading the flight of the ball, to not try to find a role for him somewhere close to goal, either as a defender or forward! At the very least, a good bench warmer as a swingman!
I have been making that KPD call for Blicavs ever since his first season when everyone was calling for him to become a key forward. Good defenders need to be super fit athletically and aerobically which is exactly Blicavs, he has that wiry frame/reach and defense is the best way to find confidence at the top level, coming from another sport! I knew that he would slot in there eventually and he'll grow in confidence now that he's found his place in the team!

Taylor might be in great condition but its his last year and we already have suitable replacements.

Henderson is in a similar position but if we are persisting with Kolo then he has to be backup.

Team balance and structures should always take priority over individual players.
Agree with that, but I'd still like to see Harry's form before turfing him out the door.

Agree 100%

The 2 keys I'd go are: Blicavs (no.1 stopper) & Kolo (2nd tall and young). Taylor and Hendo should only be backups
Then I'd go Henry as the 3rd tall in the roaming 'Lever-type' role

The remaining medium/smalls in the 22 are: Stewart, Tuohy, O'Connor (who I think will have a breakout year) and then 1 of Bews/Clark.

We cannot fit more than 1 of Kolo/Hendo/Taylor in the side with Blicavs and Henry locks. It f*cks our structure and costs us games. Scott needs to stop playing 3 or 4 of them with Kolo on a wing in 2019.

Also Guthrie is not best 22 until he proves himself worthy IMO. Cam has regressed immensely since 2013 and gets caught HTB far too often.

First part of the year at least,Henry,Blicavs,Stewart,Tuohy,Bews,one of Henderson,Taylor,Kolo, picked on form,no freebie's to Kolo based on age if he wants it bad enough let him show it,I'd be for throwing Taylor/Hendo under the bus in the second half of the year if we get to the stage we are not finals bound but other than that you earn your spot.

Agree 100%

The 2 keys I'd go are: Blicavs (no.1 stopper) & Kolo (2nd tall and young). Taylor and Hendo should only be backups
Then I'd go Henry as the 3rd tall in the roaming 'Lever-type' role

The remaining medium/smalls in the 22 are: Stewart, Tuohy, O'Connor (who I think will have a breakout year) and then 1 of Bews/Clark.

We cannot fit more than 1 of Kolo/Hendo/Taylor in the side with Blicavs and Henry locks. It f*cks our structure and costs us games. Scott needs to stop playing 3 or 4 of them with Kolo on a wing in 2019.

Also Guthrie is not best 22 until he proves himself worthy IMO. Cam has regressed immensely since 2013 and gets caught HTB far too often.

I couldn't care if Kolo is younger, play whoever is in better form. Whether that be Kolo, Henry, Taylor, Hendo, Blicavs etc. We haven't bottomed out and are not in a rebuilding phase. Age should be irrelevant, only form and what fits the team structure/gameplan.

As much as C.Guthrie frustrates me he has to be in our best 22 at the start of the season unless someone surpasses him on FORM. We have too many see ball, get ball players in the midfield and we desperately need defensive midfielders. S.Selwood was ordinary at best last season, and Blicavs moving to defence left us horribly exposed in this department last year.

I couldn't care if Kolo is younger, play whoever is in better form. Whether that be Kolo, Henry, Taylor, Hendo, Blicavs etc. We haven't bottomed out and are not in a rebuilding phase. Age should be irrelevant, only form and what fits the team structure/gameplan.

As much as C.Guthrie frustrates me he has to be in our best 22 at the start of the season unless someone surpasses him on FORM. We have too many see ball, get ball players in the midfield and we desperately need defensive midfielders. S.Selwood was ordinary at best last season, and Blicavs moving to defence left us horribly exposed in this department last year.
Like the first bit,I can't agree on Guthrie it would take a form reversal for him to be of any value,giving games to Cam on the last couple of years out put for a player who has some talent and should be in his prime is something that should have been looked at in any post season review,sets a horrible example for the rest of the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like the first bit,I can't agree on Guthrie it would take a form reversal for him to be of any value,giving games to Cam on the last couple of years out put for a player who has some talent and should be in his prime is something that should have been looked at in any post season review,sets a horrible example for the rest of the team.

I hear what you're saying, but who plays as a defensive midfielder this year?
I personally think S.Selwood is cooked and can't see who else plays that role outside of C.Guthrie. Atkins? maybe another one of the kids?
For me it's our biggest headache heading into the season.

I personally think S.Selwood is cooked and can't see who else plays that role outside of C.Guthrie. Atkins? maybe another one of the kids?
Atkins is a chance as is Constable,may be change up Duncans role with Dahlhaus and Parfitt having a run on the pill.A fit Cockatoo would open up some options,but not holding my breath.

It all depends on our season status ... if we in and around the top there is no reason to not play Harry IF he is playing at his best..or at least as the best kpd ... if we are 1-7 after 8 rounds then obviously hard choices will have to be looked at... and thats not just Harry but a few players ..
It would be a sad day but that's how I see it to,most other clubs supporters will be glad to see the arse end of Harry Taylor he's been a rock.

HT could still play CHB if he's fully fit.

Btw, Henderson can play as a Key Forward. Its not like Esava is a lock either.
Although he has played longer stints there in the past, since he's been at Geelong he hasn't shown a lot up forward.
In fact, Tuohy looked more at home than Hendo when he ventured forward.

Still our best option for CHB until proven otherwise IMO, him and Blicave in the two key spots, Henry the third tall with Stewart, Touhy and Bews rounding out our defensive six looks pretty good to me, have a horrible feeling the MC will try squeezing Kolodjashnij and Henderson into the mix in some capacity though.

He will make a mockery of the doubters this year. He is an out and out champion and far from finished. If injury free he will at least be in the 40 man AA squad. Book mark it!

Don't know about AA at this stage of his career, but I'm (quietly) confident he can hold down the CHB position, if injury free of course.

I think Menegola has all the attributes to be a defensive midfielder who can also hurt on the rebound.
Also plays to his elite endurance , good tackler as well but would he want to do the role?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back