Movie Mad Max Fury Road

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
I watched this a couple of months ago. Its pretty good as far as action goes. Not much of a story line. It feels like the final act of number 2 stretched out for a whole movie. I'd probably give it about a 7.5/10

Shane Hird

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan The Cult of Robbo Essendon Player Sponsor 2016
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
I watched this a couple of months ago. Its pretty good as far as action goes. Not much of a story line. It feels like the final act of number 2 stretched out for a whole movie. I'd probably give it about a 7.5/10

That's the point..there is no story line for Max. He wanders the wastelands trying to find fuel and avoid trouble. But it never works out like that for long.

Interesting reading this thread for first time. It seems people either don't like it at all or they give it a 10. There's no real middle ground.

But as we all know now, 90% of punters adore this masterpiece of action filming.

What some don't realise is that the real stars of all the Mad Max films are the vehicles. V8 super charged mayhem that's been copied in many other films but none have never came close to the way Millar does it.

As with MM 1 and 2, the ones with the vehicles in the wastelands are kings. If you don't have a reliable supercharged vehicle or arnt part of some gang who have heaps of them..you're nothing.

You're easy prey and your chances of making some sort of life in this world of hell are pretty much zero.

Warlords take over resources when society collapses and in this case water is the currency the baddies in this part of the world hold.

But all that is a back story to what these films are really about.

All GM had to do in this reboot to satisfy us lovers of the original, is find a reason to have multiple super charged vehicles drivin by psychopaths chase someone down the dusty wasteland highways.

Instead of going down the old storyline road of fuel shortage and the battle to control it, Millar goes completely left field and creates a situation where Max is forced to trust and partner up with someone to survive.
Max is mentally damaged from way back. Mental case lunatics ran over and killed his beautiful wife and young baby which has left him devoid of all emotion.

He's not a superhero or a guy who goes out of his way to help people. He's a survivor and a loner who really has no purpose in life.

The minimal dialogue by Max in Fury Road fits perfectly in sync with the other three films. Once again other characters around him take the spotlight and Max is just caught up in the craziness of their plight.

Another thing younger viewers of this film don't realise is that Max's XB Falcon V8 coupe is the real star us oldies from the 80s MM films loved the most. We get a bit of action at the start with his awesome beast of a car, but it quickly turns to the battle truck as the main focus of this film.

A bit disappointing but you just know the coupe will be back in the follow up film...hopefully.

Either way, at least here in Fury Road the XB joins in the chase along with all the other awesome vehicles...and on it goes for two hours.

Name one car action film that's better? There is none.

This is a relentless, violent film that leaves you spellbound by the never ending action.

It's a 10 for me.

The quote in my sig says it all best.
This films 1 giant metaphor.

Where must we go ?....

3 mins 33secs
" the nod "
:cry::cry:

Think of how you felt at the end of the 1st 3 movies and compare them to how you felt at the end of this one.
( Fans of all the movies i mean )

1 - yay he got his vengence...but the worlds going to s**t and his lifes ****ed.
2 - yep......you got played mate , oh well tomorrows a new day
3 - Well um....s**t......

4 - TRIUMPH !!!!!

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Interesting reading this thread for first time. It seems people either don't like it at all or they give it a 10. There's no real middle ground.

But as we all know now, 90% of punters adore this masterpiece of action filming.

What some don't realise is that the real stars of all the Mad Max films are the vehicles. V8 super charged mayhem that's been copied in many other films but none have never came close to the way Millar does it.

As with MM 1 and 2, the ones with the vehicles in the wastelands are kings. If you don't have a reliable supercharged vehicle or arnt part of some gang who have heaps of them..you're nothing.

You're easy prey and your chances of making some sort of life in this world of hell are pretty much zero.

Warlords take over resources when society collapses and in this case water is the currency the baddies in this part of the world hold.

But all that is a back story to what these films are really about.

All GM had to do in this reboot to satisfy us lovers of the original, is find a reason to have multiple super charged vehicles drivin by psychopaths chase someone down the dusty wasteland highways.

Instead of going down the old storyline road of fuel shortage and the battle to control it, Millar goes completely left field and creates a situation where Max is forced to trust and partner up with someone to survive.
Max is mentally damaged from way back. Mental case lunatics ran over and killed his beautiful wife and young baby which has left him devoid of all emotion.

He's not a superhero or a guy who goes out of his way to help people. He's a survivor and a loner who really has no purpose in life.

The minimal dialogue by Max in Fury Road fits perfectly in sync with the other three films. Once again other characters around him take the spotlight and Max is just caught up in the craziness of their plight.

Another thing younger viewers of this film don't realise is that Max's XB Falcon V8 coupe is the real star us oldies from the 80s MM films loved the most. We get a bit of action at the start with his awesome beast of a car, but it quickly turns to the battle truck as the main focus of this film.

A bit disappointing but you just know the coupe will be back in the follow up film...hopefully.

Either way, at least here in Fury Road the XB joins in the chase along with all the other awesome vehicles...and on it goes for two hours.

Name one car action film that's better? There is none.

This is a relentless, violent film that leaves you spellbound by the never ending action.

It's a 10 for me.

Nailed it Shane Hird. So many of us fell in love with that coupe the minute we saw it & Miller knows it so she'll be back for sure.

Like many fans of 1 & 2, I was a bit suspect when FR was announced but to put it simply - they couldn't have done it any better & it's easily a 10.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
No, I never really got the hype. Though, idiot that I am, I never actually saw it in the cinema, and can see how maybe getting to see it on the big screen, nice and loud would have been cool. But I wasn't overly taken with the narrative or the performances themselves and have no real inclination to watch it again.

Am I the only one that hated this? And this is coming from someone that loved the first 2 especially Road Warrior which I've probably watched 100+ times.

Only seen this a couple of times maybe need to give it another go.

why would you watch it (for third time) if you hate it?

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
Things that stand out in my mind, was the over-dramatic music (SOMETHING EMOTIONAL IS HAPPENING NOW), and the nux romance which was hilariously bad. didn't warm to the movie but didn't hate it either, kind of want to watch it again to see if it bores me, or if I like it more the next time around.

Deathray

All Australian
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Am I the only one that hated this? And this is coming from someone that loved the first 2 especially Road Warrior which I've probably watched 100+ times.

I'm of exactly the same view and will watch again coz i really want to like it. Thought Immortan Joe was suitably awesome looking but that was about it.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong

My wife and I both found it as boring as bat s**t.

Back