Gaming Madden 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Just give us a better franchise mode already. It's like nothing on it has changed over the last few years. Even the gimmicky innovations they did back in 2005ish made the game more enjoyable.

RPO wouldnt be hard to implement. it just wouldnt work well because of how fast you need to decide.

It would be the same base mechanic as PA when you can hold R2 to cancel the PA fake, just from shotgun. you will need to decide if you pull the ball and throw just before the snap to get it done.

RPO wouldnt be hard to implement. it just wouldnt work well because of how fast you need to decide.

It would be the same base mechanic as PA when you can hold R2 to cancel the PA fake, just from shotgun. you will need to decide if you pull the ball and throw just before the snap to get it done.
There is already a pitch option mechanic for designed plays. Surely it wouldn't be too hard to incorporate that into PA

Online competitive play - in MUT and Franchise - is going to be the promotional focus of Madden going forward. Really, that direction has been clear since M16.

With all that said, I think we can all agree that the user vs CPU experience doesn't remotely prepare a new or even a veteran player for online competitive play. On the field, the CPU doesn't even attempt 75% of the pre-snap adjustments the top competitive Madden players are routinely using every play, and that's a problem. Tiburon necessarily must continue to invest in the single-player experience in order to groom the stick skills and strategic thinking abilities of the game's player base and thus increase Madden's competitive player population, else it will not be a successful competitive game.

"Stick skills" don't really matter right now. The game is largely dependent on animations and dice rolls, as it has been for god knows how many years... and that's largely due to the fact they've neglected the AI for so long, that animations and dice rolls are really the only fall-back they have to mask the poor AI logic/strategy.

Case in point, I'll use another EA game as an example, Need For Speed...

I believe the last NFS game I played was 4-6 years ago, can't recall the exact iteration... but I was currently in a "trophy hunting" phase on the PS4, and while I usually only kept to the story-mode aspect of the game, there were multi-player trophies I needed for 100%. So after I spent the vast majority of my time in single-player, I eventually had to go MP for said trophies...

In NFS, though, the AI was extremely challenging. Not because they could beat you time and time again w/ inferior cars, but because the AI knew the proper strategies to take during the race; drafting, when to brake and when to go balls out, proper angles going into and out of curves, etc. The AI actually had me wanting to throw my controller at my TV... NOT because I felt as though I was being cheated, but because I truly felt the AI was simply BETTER than I was. I spent so many hours retrying matches I lost at the very last second, I'd lost count.

But after finally getting all the single-player trophies, it wasn't until I went online to get the multi-player trophies when I realized just how well playing against the AI prepared me...

No exaggeration... I literally won every race I participated in. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bragging, by any means. But I just remember how floored I was at how badly the other racers were in MP compared to the AI in SP. I honestly went into the MP experience thinking I was going to get my *** handed to me, and came out of it untouchable. All because spending so much time racing against the challenging AI in SP prepared me enough for it.

Of course, programming the AI in a racing game will (I assume) always be 10x easier than programming the AI in a football game, where you have 22 individual players performing a certain task at the same time on every given play... but, IMHO, if they upped their AI in Madden to actually challenge people using true-to-life strategies (or at the very least, challenge them in pre-snap user adjustments) it would absolutely go a LONG way in improving the MP experience instead of people just using the latest exploits in animations and/or 100 rated speedsters to win every game.

isnt that just a matter of sliders? The game is hard as **** if you allow it to be
I agree that those comments are kind of wrong. Not sliders, but on All-Madden, the CPU makes tons of pre-snap adjustments, it constantly hits drag routes, if it sees you in man press it often takes a deep shot that's successful, the WR getting behind your CB, and on D, the CPU constantly spams the cover 0 blitzes (like online gamers do).

'Madden 19' News: Carlos Guerrero Takes Over As Senior Producer For Series
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianm...ero-takes-over-as-senior-producer-for-series/

Think we'll see him try to make Madden as a bigger game in the esport community and go in that new direction that Rex talked about.

"Prior to that, he worked for esports giant Blizzard Entertainment on games like Overwatch and World of Warcraft."

I really worry what this means for Franchise Mode come Madden 20 (as that would be his first actual dev cycle in his new role).

I'm excited for the future of Madden & embrace change. I feel Madden needed a shakeup in some way. The band marches on.

Last November Rex had mentioned that he was no longer primarily focused on gameplay anymore and that he had creative oversight over the entire Madden franchise while gameplay was now primarily being handled by Clint.

Add in the fact that Rex seemed to be leading the charge for significant CFM changes paired with the nature of his exit and perceived direction that Madden is heading, and I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to think that this move could have an impact on franchise mode. Most likely not this year, but certainly moving forward.

Here are the games Carlos has been a part of:

Starcraft: Brood war, 1998
Warcraft II: Battle.net edition, 1999
Diablo II, 2000
Starcraft 64, 2000
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, 2001
World of Warcraft, 2004
World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade, 2007
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, 2008
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, 2010
World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria, 2012
Warlords of Draenor 2014
Overwatch 2016

RPG games all the way.. As many may know, these games are heavy on strategy. They involve a lot of strength and weakness mechanics; with each attack used, player skill, there is a counter.

There is generally a bunch of ways to set up a character for combat in these games which allows for a lot of strategy...Those who put in the time will be rewarded with greater results.

As many also probably know - YouTube and Twitch are filled with the content of these games provided by the community. Everything from theory to actual mechanics and strategy..

I love strategy. I am most likely reading too much into this, but I will allow my mind to wander to my best idea of Madden, and the future looks awesome.

(I am extremely bias though; outside of football, I think World of Warcraft is probably, consistently, the greatest game) I could sit and play, just the Auction House, for hours.

I think of something Mills has said constantly on his streams....paraphrasing, but the gist was that sports games were basically RPGs with a sports backdrop. That's really a fairly accurate statement....we are essentially role-playing as either players or coaches/GMs. Guerrero's resume is heavy into this genre (and certainly with games featuring a heavy online focus). In those respects, his expertise in those areas would seem to jive.

RPGs are heavy into strategic countermoves AND dice-rolls....two things which are fundamental aspects of having a quality football experience. I'm confident that Clint, if left to his own devices, can create the appropriate football backdrop and hopefully in a sim fashion...if Carlos can complement that backdrop with the strategic elements, this could wind-up being a fine move for gameplay.

The core of football (both on the field and on the virtual gridiron) is about tactics and strategies and having the appropriate pieces (players) to successfully execute them. Whether it is placing a pikeman against a mounted unit or a Cover 2 LB against a TE, it is all about moves and countermoves. Stick skills (even on competitive modes) is really secondary to the tactics.

I'm intrigued...there is potential here....

One thing is for sure, there’s no way Madden can have a hope of being successful in the eSports arena with AI players being driven on top of this old legacy code.

Unless there’s going to be an 11- on-11 introduced, the AI will play a major role during gameplay.

Seeing old code rear its head up live on national tv, was simply ugly and funny at the same time.

So maybe this venture into eSports forces them to finally deal with the AI issue, especially if it’s going to be on tv.

We can only wait and see what the waters will feel like as a new captain steers the ship.

This guy's background screams E-sports and micro transactions which...

I fear we may have just lost madden for another 5 or so years. I hope his RPG background plays into creating a more strategic game with realism as it's basis, but I think EA just wants that E-sports money and more cash from MUT.

I don't expect to see franchise fully monetized like a DLC style package. But, I do see microtransactions becoming at least a part of it so EA can make money off of it. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a concession Rex was willing to make to get the suits to pay attention to the Sim community.

I'd expect something along the lines of NBA 2k.

"Want a faster developing rookie QB? Get 20,000 XP for $9.99"

https://forums.ea.com/en/madden-nfl/discussion/200876/dynamic-difficulty-adjustment

Dynamic Difficulty Adjustment

I just wanted to express concern over EAs Dynamic Difficulty Adjustment or DDA. It has ruined my fellow gamers friend's and my experience with Madden. No longer can a gamer work to become a better player but instead the difficulty will simply "adjust" to manufacture a close "exciting" game.

Though most complaints have been with MUT, it reveals itself in franchise as well and has resulted in my group of core gamers to halt our participation in Madden.

The short-term increase with in-game purchases that DDA exudes WILL inevitably result in long-term loss of Madden supporters as a result of not providing a true simulation game play experience.

For those unaware, DDA includes an algorithm which will pair players in MUT that will most likely result in a purchase from a gamer. For example, you may be paired with a player with purchased player packs that will most likely win to encourage you to purchase the players yourself.

Also, DDA will simply cause the game play to become more or less difficult depending on how a gamer performs within a game. An example of this would be the a.i. defense easily block shedding after you went up 2 scores early or perhaps the a.i. went up 2 scores early and now you are breaking a suspicious large number of tackles.

I have contacted EA on the matter and was told it cannot be fixed and is built into the game's design. However, I was told to submit these concerns on the forum in order to make the issue known to future developers.

If you are reading this as a gamer, please comment and express concerns as well. I would hate to see a game that we've grown up with continue down this path.

DDA is real. On average I can’t go past an 8x Win streak without losing in some ridiculous way. Some will call me salty but when I throw to a WIDE open receiver and it bounces off his hand and is then intercepted, then that’s a bit suspect. Or getting lag when I’m trying to throw the ball away, then I get fumbled instead. I’m literally not in control when it’s lagged, I can’t do anything.

Or when you play PERFECT defense and no one can make a tackle (conservative) on the RB, and he just slips by and scores.

Furthermore, when someone comes out in nickel, dime, quarter (zone defenses), and you can’t run the ball up the middle. Despite there being wide open space down the middle, but for some reason your opponents D line just shed their blocks instantly. People you can’t say DDA isn’t real.

The only reason I ever lose is because I accidentally throw to the wrong receiver, play stupid by going for it on 4th and long, or because of the rubbish that occurs in the game like aforementioned above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DDA previously existed in Madden NFL 09 and acted by silently adjusting gameplay sliders in the background as you succeeded or failed against the CPU.

This DDA is discussing a technology for which EA has applied for a patent. With this technology, EA would (in any of its games, not just Madden) facilitate matchmaking in multiplayer games (or adjust settings in single-player games in reaction to user actions) in order to increase metrics such as playtime, retention, or spending. The technology could be used, for example, to reduce the difficulty of a hard boss following many failed attempts to ensure the user defeats the boss and keeps playing the game, thus increasing user retention. Dynamic difficulty in Madden 09 could be considered an extremely simplified version of this idea. The obvious concern - and what I think OP wants to allude to - is using technology such as this to encourage micro transactions, which have been under much scrutiny from games media over the past calendar year (especially following Star Wars Battlefront II).

This patent is somewhat related to a similar patent application Activision-Blizzard filed recently, where in their games technology would exist to match-make users in multiplayer games dependent on micro transaction purchases. The example given was matching a junior Call Of Duty player who wished to become a great sniper with a more skilled player who had spent money on many sniper-related microtransactions. The idea in this example, of course, is to encourage the junior player to make those micro transaction payments.

Both EA and Activision have stated that neither of their respective patented technologies have been deployed in any released titles.

I agree that those comments are kind of wrong. Not sliders, but on All-Madden, the CPU makes tons of pre-snap adjustments, it constantly hits drag routes, if it sees you in man press it often takes a deep shot that's successful, the WR getting behind your CB, and on D, the CPU constantly spams the cover 0 blitzes (like online gamers do).

I've noticed some pre snap adjustments/audibling the last couple mut challenges I played, not a lot but it is happening. Be great to see a ramped up AI in 19.

The Dynamic Difficulty Adjustment is so true.

I don't want to win every game by 3 points. I want to win some by 14 points. Not every game is going to be a one score game.

The pattern I see with All-madden is that 85% of games finish within 6 points.

The other 15% come down to either:

a. My team is no match for theirs, and I get blown out 10% of the time

b. I actually blow the other team out, even with an inferior team 5% of the time - the CPU just doesn't come to play

But 85% of the time the CPU adjusts the difficulty to keep it close, pull off some cheese, it's unrealistic

One thing I'd really like to see is more awareness after a fumble, mainly from both the fumbler & defender who caused it, both usually stand around, wander off or lie there while their teammates eventually twig & rush in to recover.

Been rumored CFM is rebuilt from the ground up. But then this bit of info from a poster on Operation Sports...

There is a very small detail that leads me to believe it is not though.

Many many years ago while Ian was still there they redesigned the player info card interface, and they made a very dumb mistake -- they forgot to put draft info on it. Ian came out on this forum and said that it simply slipped their mind. He said they were putting it under the awards section in a patch. Mentioned how it wasn't ideal but the best they could do to get the info into the game.

Guess where draft info can be found today? They're still using that patch job from 6 years ago.

So this year will have the once a decade overhaul of franchise mode.

Finally having custom draft classes looks like i will have fun making some for our franchise while we wait for the roster update so we start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back