News Maddy Prespakis and Georgia Gee request trade to Essendon & other possible player movements

Remove this Banner Ad

So at this stage it’s looking like:

Out - Prespakis, Gee (Essendon), Egan (Richmond), Stevens (St Kilda), Jones (GC), Brazzale (Collingwood), Wilson (Melbourne)
In - McWilliams (Geelong), Velardo (Collingwood)

Seven departures, five of those to existing clubs. We are going to be busy during trade week 😵‍💫

Everyone talking about the Dogs getting hit, but I feel we’re faring even worse than them right now…

Yes that's the only upside, but I think Wilson is a good player and just didn't have a great season.

Jones to the Suns is much worse, if it happens, at least it'll be a trade.

Jones is a huge loss. She has a bit of white line fever and we need that. The only softener is that her decision making and disposal outside of the forward 50 can be a bit iffy, and it does seem like we are looking for smart footballers with skill.

Jones is a huge loss. She has a bit of white line fever and we need that. The only softener is that her decision making and disposal outside of the forward 50 can be a bit iffy, and it does seem like we are looking for smart footballers with skill.
Looks like we will be looking for a lot of footballers if the exodus continues

If the idea for sending her to FNQ to "work on her game" came from someone at the club, they might be kicking themselves now.

She is definitely a huge loss, and I think the downside that you refer to will iron out with experience and time. She's got all the tools to be a very good footballer. Shame she'll be doing it somewhere else :(

I wonder if they considered trying to make a forward out of Charlotte? She read the play well, got herself into good positions to intercept etc. And this year she looked like she'd put on the sort of muscle that would have made her a pretty strong contested mark.

It's a real shame that we've lost her too.

I wonder if they considered trying to make a forward out of Charlotte? She read the play well, got herself into good positions to intercept etc. And this year she looked like she'd put on the sort of muscle that would have made her a pretty strong contested mark.

It's a real shame that we've lost her too.
I agree, there was certainly a lot to work with.

She is good mates with Abbie Mckay and Mimi Hill so thought she might stay where it seems the other clique being Maddy, GG, Grace Egan had all walked out.

I agree, there was certainly a lot to work with.

She is good mates with Abbie Mckay and Mimi Hill so thought she might stay where it seems the other clique being Maddy, GG, Grace Egan had all walked out.
I think I even remember a mention of a wedding between Charlotte and Breann Moody (not sure if it was some mad Monday "mock" thing) during one of the game changers podcasts, so she must be pretty close to Bre as well.

Wish we knew what happened, cos it only seems to strengthen an already strong team while disadvantaging the blues (currently an average team).

But at the end of the day, you can't blame her for leaving if she's not getting a game.

Brooke Walker has left us to play NRL... no compensation for that.

The AFLW’s bumper pay rise was not enough to stop Carlton Blues star Brooke Walker from defecting to the Parramatta Eels to play in what she believes is “the best women’s sport product in Australia”.

Walker told News Corp she did not hesitate to request a release from her two-year deal with the Blues to join the Eels when the powerhouse Sydney club came knocking.

“Female sport at the moment is very competitive,” Walker said. “In saying that, I think the NRLW product, in my opinion, was the best-displayed product of female sport in Australia.

“I honestly didn’t expect it to be such an increase,” Walker said. “I had no idea which way the AFLW were going to go with the CBA but I just knew I wanted the opportunity to play with the Eels more than any sort of dollar amount or increase in the AFLW.

“Playing rugby league was something I dreamt of when I was little.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently walker will only miss 2-3 games at this stage. She will return to Carlton after her rugby commitments. Carlton are working out the details with her. Still its one less player we have for that time though.

Draft order announced. Our picks are currently:

21, 38, 55, 71.

First 14 picks cannot be traded. Likely we’ll try and move up the order, seeing as we’ve got more players going out than in 😣

We need established players though too. I hope we are going for Jess Wushner (spelling) from Brisbane as she is a gun.

Trade period net:

OUT: Wilson, Brazzale, Stevens, 38, 89
IN: Velardo, 28, 42, 73

Basically Velardo & 28 for Wilson, Brazzale, and Stevens. Ugh.

What the f*** is going on?

What do you disagree with?

#42 for Wilson
#28 for Stevens
Velardo and #38 for Brazzale and an upgrade.

Brazzale is 28, slow for a winger and fell out of our best side last season. Velardo is 20, a #25 2 years ago and can play multiple positions.

Stevens is 29 and not part of our long term future. That's a good pick in a compromised draft. It's currently Pick 10 in the Victorian pool, 9 if Geelong still have their own pool.

Some will think that Wilson had all the potential in the world but she was overtaken by Trudgeon who is a close checking tall, who can recover the ground ball, which Wilson hasn't demonstrated. She left because she saw she was going to be behind Trudgeon.

A reminder that the Egan and Jones trades are yet to be done.

I feel sure we are talking 18 for Egan and 19 for Jones.

This will give us 9, 10 and 11 in the Victorian pool.

We still have Harrington, Laloifi, Trudgeon, Pound, Plane, Dal Pos, Lee and Daisy Walker in defence.

We have Vescio, McWilliams, Gibbs, Milford, Brooke Walker, Schaap up forward.

We have O'Dea, McEvoy, Hill, Guerin, Hammans, McKay, Sherar, Vickers, Velardo in the midfield.

Moody and Good in the ruck.

There is still a team there. Still got inside grunt, have outside run and ball use.

We will have a taller presence up forward so Vescio can stay down.

I'm liking what we are building.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back