Unsolved Madeleine McCann - New Leads Being Reported

Remove this Banner Ad

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
... the responsibility of allowing that to happen would haunt me for the rest of my life.
Excellent point. People should keep the point you've raised in mind when forming their own opinions. I think most parents, and guardians, would feel a sense of failed responsibility if a child in their care disappeared, or was hurt; regardless of circumstances. Like you, I would feel haunted for the rest of my days for having failed to prevent it. That doesn't mean a parent/s is blameworthy.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
I just don't see how they could have done it and it still be concealed all this time.
It is said that she, along with her siblings was in day care during the day of the disappearance, they were collected and within a few hours she disappears and is never found.
Its not like they were home and in familiar surroundings, so the question must be asked, if it wasn't premeditated, and nothing would suggest that was the case, it was either spur of the moment homicide or accidental.
With that in mind, and knowing the Police/media attention which ensued, the window of opportunity to dispose of the body would have been very narrow and this would need to also account for the actual incident, the decision to cover it up, convincing everyone in their party to go along with it and finding somewhere close by to dispose of the body which to this day has not been uncovered.
Compare that to an abduction by an unknown person and I know what is easier to believe just based on what is most likely to be pulled off without fault.

Ive never been to Portugal but i've been to a few resorts and been on a number of cruises and one thing that has stuck out to me in these environments is that despite the belief that the hosts/crews job is to make you feel welcomed, after dark, when they are off duty, the often sinister feeling you get leaves you feeling in no uncertain terms that they are not your friends and sometimes quite the opposite.
They are there to provide a service and you are there to provide an income, if your not upholding your end of the deal it would stand out.
It was said in the Doco that Gerry wasn't a person that you could easily take to and from his demeanour in the weeks following he appeared to have a hard edge, combine this with the fact that they lost a child who was left virtually unsupervised which could have been avoided had they spent a few extra dollars on the creche where they would have been safe and sound like hundreds if not thousands of kids before them and to me it points to perhaps the initial abduction may have been to teach them a lesson, perhaps a ransom may have been part of the plan, however, once it became a media circus, the opportunity to cash in dried up but the problem of what to do with Madi remained.
What they did with her is anybody's guess, but i dont believe the parents were involved, however, they may have known more than they let on which is why they hung around so long and continued to suggest that she was alive.

Thoughts.

Last edited:

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I have no opinion on guilt or innocence but if it's right that the kids were put in day care while they were ALL on holidays it sends a message that the kids weren't all that loved. Leaving them alone while you were out for dinner says the same. Surely a holiday is for the whole family?

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
I have no opinion on guilt or innocence but if it's right that the kids were put in day care while they were ALL on holidays it sends a message that the kids weren't all that loved. Leaving them alone while you were out for dinner says the same. Surely a holiday is for the whole family?

I think Day Care is probably the wrong terminology on my part, it was a Kids Club type scenario where you book them in and they are taken during the day for different activities.
It was said that during one of these activities throughout the week that Madeleine fell from a boat or some type of water craft and hit her head.
Its also said that someone fitting the description of one of the people seen in the vicinity of the apartment block during the week was also seen watching the children at the beach.
But you are right though, and this adds to what I was suggesting in my previous post, I get the impression from the movements and actions of the parents that the children may have been a burden on their experience.
I get the impression that spending money on themselves for whatever they were doing whilst the kids were in Kids Club, probably shopping or drinking, and dining out in the evening was quite acceptable, but they couldn't stretch their money to cover Creche at night and excused it by suggesting that picking them up after dinner would inconvenience the kids too much due to the time of day it would have been.
For people with their income, its telling.
When you think about it, of all the kids who go there on holiday, what made this one stand out?
Im thinking its more to do with what was going on within the group than anything that set her apart from all the rest.

juzza316

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton Member
Parent nothing to do with it for mine. Terrible parenting leaving them alone but not murderers.
The location of the apartment (street corner) also makes it much more sense to be an abduction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
It's difficult to fathom why this paedohile, in Portugal at the time didn't get more attention. At the time, when it happened not 12 years later.

Look at it from their perspective, the local economy thrives on the tourist dollar, its safer in the short term to point the finger at the Parents than admit that these types of characters are within the community and scare off future business, too many livelihoods at stake including their own.
Look at the Chamberlain case, NT relies on tourism, admitting one of thousands of wild animals roaming the countryside is capable of stealing a child from right under your nose isn't good for business, blame the parent and there's nothing more to see.

Its a terrible thought but the desire to lay blame probably took precedence over finding the child very early on.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Madeleine's parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, both doctors and devout Catholics, have always pledged never to give up the search for their daughter

What has this to do with anything? I find it odd that their religion is constantly referenced.
Because religious people don’t commit crimes.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Or because they do. The Catholic Church has been taking a lot of heat over what has been seen as protection of paedophile priests the last few years, not just in Australia. It's loose but News Ltd trying to link it in perhaps.
Sorry I was being facetious.

Last edited:

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
It's just another angle for a story to evolve. Catholic haters will comment on their religion and those 'less well off' will comment on them being privileged (so maybe they should have hired babysitters, for example). The more info the media has and prints the more it can create comment/outrage, which sells papers.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Or because they do. The Catholic Church has been taking a lot of heat over what has been seen as protection of paedophile priests the last few years, not just in Australia. It's loose but News Ltd trying to link it in perhaps.
Do you believe, however loosely, that News Ltd was trying to make that link? or are you wanting to make that link?

I'm not sure that a reasonable inference of the article leads to implied negativity of the Catholic faith; in the same way as mentioning the fact that they are doctors would lead to negative inference of the medical profession. Typically, both references have traditionally been used to imply integrity; this is why Froggy's reply seemed, for lack a better word, reasonable.

Do you believe, however loosely, that News Ltd was trying to make that link? or are you wanting to make that link?

I hadn't made the link myself until the question was raised here but did notice the reference on the initial reading. The only other time I've seen the McCanns connected to the Catholic Church was when they were still in Portugal and Madeleine not long gone.

Edit: I feel like I should however say Madeleine's abduction has nothing whatsoever to do with the McCann's religion. Nor do I believe the McCann's had anything to do with her disappearance.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Have they arrested the Podesta's as yet, or just wasting our time with yet more red herrings & deflections in order to try & mask what Wikileaks revealed clear enough.....That the 2 wanted men in connection with her abduction, fit their descriptions precisely.

Have they arrested the Podesta's as yet, or just wasting our time with yet more red herrings & deflections in order to try & mask what Wikileaks revealed clear enough.....That the 2 wanted men in connection with her abduction, fit their descriptions precisely.

Whuuu?

Wikileaks and the Podesta's?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back