ATP/WTA Madrid and Rome

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought tsitsipas was like bagdatis not do much after the oz open guess I was wrong
And to think that Baghdatis' last five tournaments recently, he's been hacking around in Challengers in Asia. Though he did win one of them. Surely he must have better things to do with his life than that. He can't be short of a Euro.

Federer has decided to olay Rome, so he must be happy with his form on the clay.

Rafa may go without a clay title leading into Paris for the first time. I'd still have him as the favourite, but there are 3 players who can beat him in thiem, djokovic and now tsitsipas. If he can work himself into the tournament and the conditions suit him, still think he'll win.

Tsitsipas seems like the next number 1 out of the young guys. Can play on hard courts and now showing he has the game for the dirt as well.

Zverev drops 800 points after this week so not sure he'll maintain a top 4 ranking.

Zverev drops 800 points after this week so not sure he'll maintain a top 4 ranking.

Zverev already dropped to #5 after Thiem made the SF. Tsitsipas could/should overtake him soon depending on upcoming results. Needs to make up 1000 points, 400 of which are on offer if he can beat Djokovic.

Zverev 2018: Rome F, French QF
Tsitsipas 2018: Rome 2R, French 2R

Last edited:
Tsitsipas seems like the next number 1 out of the young guys. Can play on hard courts and now showing he has the game for the dirt as well.
Question: who will be the next men’s #1, and when? If Djokovic beats Tsitsipas and then opens up his gap to Nadal (~4000) who won at Rome and Roland Garros last year, I struggle to pinpoint when Djokovic will be dethroned.

Djokovic 2018: Rome SF, French QF
Nadal 2018: Rome W, French W

Last edited:
On the Tennis podcast a couple weeks ago, they were debating on who to bet on for the French: Nadal or the field. Who would you go for?

I’ll make a not very bold statement: Nadal will not win the French Open final in straight sets.

Nadal in 3: 2008, 2010, 2013, 2017-18
Nadal in 4: 2005-07, 2011-12, 2014
Other result: 2009, 2015, 2016

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly Madrid is not the best predictor of French open champions in the same year. I wonder which of the clay court tournaments has the most number of people winning the tournament, then going on to win in Paris. Maybe rome or Barcelona?

Rafa has 11 monte carlo masters and 11 Barcelona titles so they are probably his best indicator of going on to win rg.

Certainly Madrid is not the best predictor of French open champions in the same year. I wonder which of the clay court tournaments has the most number of people winning the tournament, then going on to win in Paris. Maybe rome or Barcelona?

Rafa has 11 monte carlo masters and 11 Barcelona titles so they are probably his best indicator of going on to win rg.
Monte Carlo I'd say. Conditions most similar to the French with very slow, high bouncing courts, and I'd say it's the only other clay tournament where the top contenders go all out for the win. Madrid and Rome occasionally see top players skip/lose early to rest and prepare for the french. And obviously barca is a 500 so not a top quality field.

Azarenka beats Svitolina in three after a long rain delay. Serving not a strong point with 17 breaks in 29 games. Made it interesting to watch though.

Zverev already dropped to #5 after Thiem made the SF. Tsitsipas could/should overtake him soon depending on upcoming results. Needs to make up 1000 points, 400 of which are on offer if he can beat Djokovic.

Zverev 2018: Rome F, French QF
Tsitsipas 2018: Rome 2R, French 2R

Zverev out in R2 losing 5 and 5 to 33-Berrettini

Kevin Anderson will drop from 6 to 8 if Tsitsipas and Nishikori both win their next matches.

Tsitsipas could rise to #5 if he makes the SF. He has Federer in the QF. That looks like being a potentially awesome match. If Nishikori can get past Cilic then he could make a SF where he would then be a mere 115 points behind Zverev. Kei is defending a 4R at RG but Zverev is probably not favoured to equal his QF from last year.

In WTA news, Serena withdrew against Venus.

Looking at the matches for tomorrow how the hell is Basilashvili ranked 18 in the world!

He finished last year at 21 on the back of 2 x 500 titles (Hamburg and Beijing) and 4th Rnd @ the USO. He has done enough this year to maintain his high ranking so far but will have alot of points to defend after Wimbledon.

After yesterday's washout, todays forecast is good. Big day at the office with many having to double up including all the big names male and female. Could see some withdrawls/retirements and some surprise results if first matches are tough going. Kyrgios if he beats Ruud then plays Goffin or JDP.
Azarenka and Barty both have singles against players doubling up but then are listed for a second doubles match if they win the first one.

Yeah, should be an interesting day. Grandstand will be packed with Fed, Novak and Rafa all potentially playing one match there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back