Madrid: ATP Masters/WTA premier

Remove this Banner Ad

He's had his chances but every time it seems like he'll get a break he plays a loose point. Been comprehensively outplayed in the 2nd breaker, Nishikori lifted a gear. Nick really needs to add a bit more variety in his game off the ground. He's trying so hard to hit through Nishikori- he needs to try some more angles and mix up the pace of his shot more. If he adds a slice backhand to his game he'll be set- I can see grand slams rolling in for him if he does. His 1 two punch combo (serve then 1st groundstroke) is probably the best in the game apart from Raonic at the moment. If he gets 10% better off the ground, adds a bit more variety he'll be a grand slam winner.

Another thing I've noticed with him is that he seems to have added more spin to his forehand. I hope he doesn't go the way of Andy Roddick where he used to have a lethal forhand but as he ages he played too safe and spinny on his forehand and lacked penetration to hit through the court. Yes, the extra topsin adds consistency but for Nick his forehand should be all be about setting the point up for him to blast a forehand winner. Needs more spin on his backhand though and tighten it up... I've noticed that he tends to struggle when people hit hard and deep to his backhand side. His movement is definitely improved and he's gotten stronger but if he adds a bit more to his defensive side to his game it'll help him even more. His serve has been really good, added some stick to it. Will always be world class. He seems to be taking more time to prepare for his serve which is good- played way too quick. Honestly he should easily be in the top 10 right now, with a few adjustments and improvement he should be challenging for slams and be in the top 5 category. I think Wimbledon this year he could do some serious damage though.

Last edited:
Lol, had money on Nick... cashed out at 10 dollars. Lost 40. Thought he had him covered, but Nishi just tanked it until the 2nd set tie-breaker then went nuts. :'(

Nishikori too good. Played the ciritical points better at 30-30, Deuce etc. and was too solid from the back. Though Nick had it... had lots of chances. Needs to cut down the unforced errors.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/...n/news-story/7ea4a9051b968efa25c2ebdaa10d08b7

It begins.

As I said before it would take a Cilic/Wawrinka-type run which happens rarely. Kyrgios would be the only player in a long time considered a contender to win a major seeded outside the top 10 (most likely).
There are probably only three or four players off the top of my head that I wouldn't go into a match thinking, "Nick's a chance here." I think with a bit of luck in the draw he's definitely a chance. It would need luck, but I don't think it's impossible. His game has grown rapidly since the US Open.

Was watching one of Nick's matches a while back when he was reeling off spectacular winners right, left and centre and the commentators were saying he is the up and coming player that most other players fear playing the most because they know his best is hard to beat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's had his chances but every time it seems like he'll get a break he plays a loose point. Been comprehensively outplayed in the 2nd breaker, Nishikori lifted a gear. Nick really needs to add a bit more variety in his game off the ground. He's trying so hard to hit through Nishikori- he needs to try some more angles and mix up the pace of his shot more. If he adds a slice backhand to his game he'll be set- I can see grand slams rolling in for him if he does. His 1 two punch combo (serve then 1st groundstroke) is probably the best in the game apart from Raonic at the moment. If he gets 10% better off the ground, adds a bit more variety he'll be a grand slam winner.

Another thing I've noticed with him is that he seems to have added more spin to his forehand. I hope he doesn't go the way of Andy Roddick where he used to have a lethal forhand but as he ages he played too safe and spinny on his forehand and lacked penetration to hit through the court. Yes, the extra topsin adds consistency but for Nick his forehand should be all be about setting the point up for him to blast a forehand winner. Needs more spin on his backhand though and tighten it up... I've noticed that he tends to struggle when people hit hard and deep to his backhand side. His movement is definitely improved and he's gotten stronger but if he adds a bit more to his defensive side to his game it'll help him even more. His serve has been really good, added some stick to it. Will always be world class. He seems to be taking more time to prepare for his serve which is good- played way too quick. Honestly he should easily be in the top 10 right now, with a few adjustments and improvement he should be challenging for slams and be in the top 5 category. I think Wimbledon this year he could do some serious damage though.

One of the most common phrases from players in tennis is 'to keep improving' and essentially what that means is adding more tools to their arsenal.

If you look at Djokovic, he can beat 99% of players on the tour standing 2-3 meters behind the baseline and grinding all day. Then, when he has to face someone like Nadal or Federer, he changes his approach depending on the severity of the match-up. Against Nadal, as we've seen since 2015, Novak is the one up on the baseline dictating play and hitting through his shots, especially on that forehand.

The same can be said of Kyrgios and his forehand. Yes, more often than not he's hitting it with extra clearance and spin, but he absolutely has the ability on a dime to rip it as well. Thiem, Fognini, Verdasco, Monfils and Djokovic are all prime examples of this too. There's many guys that have this ability but it's whether they have the willingness to do so. The same can be said of the Kyrgios backhand. He can mix up the paces of it with seduction and has that bunt kinda shot which can be unsettling for his opponents. He definitely still has things he needs to work on but he's tracking very, very well.

I'm disappointed he lost to Nishikori too. In two of the three losses to Nishikori he's won the first set and twice in a row now the loss has resulted in missing an opportunity to play Novak. It's the number one match I'm waiting to see in 2016.

As for Roddick, that was one of the defining moments in his career. He got to No. 1 playing very aggressively but would he have had the longevity in the top 10 if he didn't add the changes he did? Jack Sock has a very similar game today but hits with more spin on the serve and forehand but can he iron out the problems on the backhand like Roddick did? Roddick's backhand was never a weapon but it was as dependable as any on tour.

The draw for Rome is out with 1st Round matches, including Tomic, starting tonight. Bernie faces Benoit Paire.

Kyrgios is playing Italian wild card Salvatore Caruso so assuming he wins that one, he should then face Raonic in R2 with potentially Nadal in R3 and Djokovic in the QF. A minimum effort from Nick would be a third round match with Nadal.

The draw is definitely top-heavy with Djokovic, Nadal, Raonic, Kyrgios, Federer, Thiem and Nishikori all featuring.

Would love to see Fognini in the bottom half of the draw make a run. Blew his match vs. Nishikori in Madrid but in terms of form, is starting to come good.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back