Sep 19, 2002
St Kilda
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
Magpiespower said:
1898 - 1913 Umpires decided medallist at season's end
1913 - 1928 Umpire awarded one vote to 'fairest and most brilliant' player in each match (no records kept)
1929 - 1946 Two umpire system (I presume - accounting for Wat Scott's 53 votes in 1930)
1946 - 1977 One umpre system.
1978 - 1985 Two umpire system.
1986 - One umpire system.

One umpire system but a 5 - 3 -1 voting system. Which explains some of the high totals from those days.

McAlmanac

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2002
Brunswick
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Woodville
Robranisgod said:
I am just privileged to have been old enough to see Robran, Ebert, Blight and Bagshaw play - one day I will bore you all with Baggy stories.
I have always put these four blokes in the one bracket. I plump for Robran when pressed. (Sidebar - I saw Nick dal Santo do a couple of Robran-like things on Sunday, in terms of melting out of trouble)

I was surprised to find recently that Ebert was dropped in his first season (last minor round - for the aging Peter Obst, no less) - I knew Blighty was in and out in his first year. I don't think this fate would ever have befallen Robran or Bagshaw.

I await the Bagshaw fireside stories.

The Toolman

Team Captain
Feb 15, 2005
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crows, Bays.
Good thread fellas.

Peter Marker was extremely unlucky to not win a medal as was Peter Carey. When Kym Hodgeman won in '78 he polled a huge number of votes didn't he? I remember in that year he not only won a lot of media awards, he also one the Bays B&F and topped their goal kicking with 51 goals...a big year!

Paul Bagshaw was one of my favourite players to watch, like Robran, he had so much time. From memory though, he didn't really poll that well did he? Another player that was similar, at least asthetically to both Bagshaw and Robran, was Peter Meuret from Westies. You could never get enough of watching those guys as they tip-toed through traffic, kick beautifully with both feet and handball so well in close.

The 70's in the SANFL were my favourite era....even though the Bays were so strong but could only win one flag! Good times though!

Robranisgod

Senior List
Aug 1, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
North Adelaide
The Toolman said:
Good thread fellas.

Paul Bagshaw was one of my favourite players to watch, like Robran, he had so much time. From memory though, he didn't really poll that well did he?

Baggy never polled well because if Sturt were playing and killing a bottom side he generally would just enjoy the stroll. He would never get a vote in a game that he considered didn't matter. But he was best on the ground in 3 premierships. What would we make of someone who won three Norm Smith medals. (I am biased but I rate those SANFL Grand Finals as equal to modern day AFL Grand Finals - hence the reference to Norm Smith medals).

We all remeber Baggy's checkside goal after he had been "dacked" at Adelaide Oval in 1973, such calmness under extreme pressure, but are anyone old enough to remember his goal at Unley in 1964, his first year of SANFL football. "Dodger" Ryan the full back for Sturt kicked a lovely droppy after a point had been scored. Baggy marked in a pack wheeled out of the pack, took off, bounced twice and launched a droppy from about 75 metres which went through for a goal. For all you trainspotter's out there is that the only occasion that a goal has been kicked with only two kicks to cover the whole ground (without a 50 metre penalty).

With due respect to Peter Meuret, he shouldn't be compared to Robran and Bagshaw. Darren Jarman, though had a touch of Baggy.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
The Toolman said:
When Kym Hodgeman won in '78 he polled a huge number of votes didn't he?

The 70's in the SANFL were my favourite era....even though the Bays were so strong but could only win one flag! Good times though!

Hodgeman polled 50 votes and beat Russell Ebert by 1 vote, but it was the era when both umpires awarded votes, so it equalled 25 votes which is still pretty good and would win most years.

You are right about Glenelg, they had a great side and probably should have won more flags than just the one in the 1970s. I guess you might put that down to running into a Norwood team in 1975 who hadn't won a flag for 25 years, and a hungry Port Adelaide in 1977 who hadn't won for 12 years.

Also, the Sturt teams they ran into in 1970 and 1974 were pretty handy teams. Although not a Glenelg fan, the 1973 Grand Final was one of my great memories and I am so glad I was there to witness it.

The Toolman

Team Captain
Feb 15, 2005
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crows, Bays.
Robranisgod said:
With due respect to Peter Meuret, he shouldn't be compared to Robran and Bagshaw. Darren Jarman, though had a touch of Baggy.

Don't get me wrong....Meuret was not in the same league as Robran, Baggy and co. No consistency and probably a bit soft? However, on his day, he could dance through traffic like those others and always appeared to have time that other players didn't have. The goal that he kicked from the pocket in the 83 GF is still etched in my memory.

Back onto Paul Bagshaw, in his latter years they played him as a permanent forward pocket. And one year he kicked a lot of goals didn't he? Also, remember the pale blue adidas boots Baggy, Davies, Brendan Howard and Gary Hardeman used to wear?

The Toolman

Team Captain
Feb 15, 2005
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crows, Bays.
Adelaide Hawk said:
You are right about Glenelg, they had a great side and probably should have won more flags than just the one in the 1970s. I guess you might put that down to running into a Norwood team in 1975 who hadn't won a flag for 25 years, and a hungry Port Adelaide in 1977 who hadn't won for 12 years.

Also, the Sturt teams they ran into in 1970 and 1974 were pretty handy teams. Although not a Glenelg fan, the 1973 Grand Final was one of my great memories and I am so glad I was there to witness it.

Glenelg were by far the best team in the comp in 74, 75 and 77....couldn't put it together on the day. Sturt beat us against the wind in the last quarter in 74 (after we busted our gut into it during the third); Fred Phillis kicked 0-6 against Norwood after booting over hundred for the year in 75; Port were too desparate in 77...Fed Phillis took out Tim Evans early and that galvanised the Port side even further...eckerman being stretchered off and coming back and playing a blinder...I still feel the pain!!!

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
The Toolman said:
Glenelg were by far the best team in the comp in 74, 75 and 77....couldn't put it together on the day.

I understand your disappointment at missing out in so many Grand Finals. However, I must argue the statement that Glenelg were by far the best team in the competition in 74, 75 & 77.

In 1974, Glenelg struggled most of the year to recapture their 73 premiership form. They actually finished 4th, 8 wins behind Sturt, 7 behind Port, and 5 behind Norwood, and they actually lost the last 3 minor round games that year to all three sides. They found form in the finals and made the GF from the elimination final which was a good effort.

1975, Glenelg finished second at the end of the minor round, one game behind minor premiers Norwood who had won 16 games in a row, including a win over Glenelg at Glenelg Oval.

In 1977, Glenelg finished 2nd at the end of the minor round but 3 wins and a draw less than minor premier Port. Port defeated Glenelg 4 out of the 5 times they met that season, including a 9 goal win in round 21, and a 25 point win in the 2nd Semi.

During this period, Glenelg were indeed a talented group of players, but I sometimes wonder if that 49 goals against Central in 1975 made us all think they were better than they actually were.

doubleblues

Debutant
Apr 4, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, Carlton
Great thread guys, I just love reading this stuff about the SANFL especially from this era as 1975 when I was 10 was when I moved to Adelaide and started going to the footy every week
so it was a shame I never saw Barrie Robran at his best but I saw the others play some great footy

and Toolman, yeh Baggy ended up playing as a permanent forward at the end of his career and kicked 74 goals to top the goalkicking for Sturt in 1978 which from memory included a bag of 10 against Port at Unley (I was there :) )

The Toolman

Team Captain
Feb 15, 2005
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crows, Bays.
Adelaide Hawk said:
I understand your disappointment at missing out in so many Grand Finals. However, I must argue the statement that Glenelg were by far the best team in the competition in 74, 75 & 77.

In 1974, Glenelg struggled most of the year to recapture their 73 premiership form. They actually finished 4th, 8 wins behind Sturt, 7 behind Port, and 5 behind Norwood, and they actually lost the last 3 minor round games that year to all three sides. They found form in the finals and made the GF from the elimination final which was a good effort.

1975, Glenelg finished second at the end of the minor round, one game behind minor premiers Norwood who had won 16 games in a row, including a win over Glenelg at Glenelg Oval.

In 1977, Glenelg finished 2nd at the end of the minor round but 3 wins and a draw less than minor premier Port. Port defeated Glenelg 4 out of the 5 times they met that season, including a 9 goal win in round 21, and a 25 point win in the 2nd Semi.

During this period, Glenelg were indeed a talented group of players, but I sometimes wonder if that 49 goals against Central in 1975 made us all think they were better than they actually were.

Thanks for bursting my bubble man!! :rolleyes:

Isn't it funny the older you get, the facts just blur into fantasy!!

Having said that, most pundits would agree that Glenelg did not capitalise on the side they had from 73 - 77.

Magpiespower

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan
Dec 16, 2004
Salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Toolman said:
Having said that, most pundits would agree that Glenelg did not capitalise on the side they had from 73 - 77.

That's being kind.

I think it's fair to say that the Bays didn't capitalise on the teams they had between 1973-1990.

The Toolman

Team Captain
Feb 15, 2005
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crows, Bays.
Magpiespower said:
That's being kind.

I think it's fair to say that the Bays didn't capitalise on the teams they had between 1973-1990.

14 Grand Finals from 69-92 for three wins....whatever do you mean!! :p

The Toolman said:
Glenelg were by far the best team in the comp in 74, 75 and 77....couldn't put it together on the day. Sturt beat us against the wind in the last quarter in 74 (after we busted our gut into it during the third); Fred Phillis kicked 0-6 against Norwood after booting over hundred for the year in 75; Port were too desparate in 77...Fed Phillis took out Tim Evans early and that galvanised the Port side even further...eckerman being stretchered off and coming back and playing a blinder...I still feel the pain!!!

Tim Evans still kicked 7-2 that day despite being king hit behind the play by Phillis. And Eckermann pulled a driver, so I don't remember him being stretchered (Kinnear was stretchered after copping a wayward knee to the head from G Cornes). Ivan did come back on to kick 3-2 standing on one leg in a forward pocket. Darrell Cahill badly sprained an ankle, so only Ivan could come on, because he could still move.

Port have won more grand finals against Glenelg than Glenelg have won Grand Finals. Isn't that an interesting stat? ;)

Leaping Lindner

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2002
St Kilda
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
Ford Fairlane said:
Tim Evans still kicked 7-2 that day despite being king hit behind the play by Phillis. And Eckermann pulled a driver, so I don't remember him being stretchered (Kinnear was stretchered after copping a wayward knee to the head from G Cornes). Ivan did come back on to kick 3-2 standing on one leg in a forward pocket. Darrell Cahill badly sprained an ankle, so only Ivan could come on, because he could still move.

Port have won more grand finals against Glenelg than Glenelg have won Grand Finals. Isn't that an interesting stat? ;)

IIRC (I was standing with Port Cheer Squad that day) didn't Nicholls finally move Phillis to full forward in the last qtr and he ended up kicking 3 goals in that qtr. A mate of mine (Bays supporter) is still convinced to this day that if Phillis had started the game at Full Forward the Bays would have won. Who knows? It was a great game to watch though (if you didn't care about the final result that much).

The Toolman

Team Captain
Feb 15, 2005
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crows, Bays.
Ford Fairlane said:

Yes....a really interesting stat! One that never needs to be talked of again!! :p

Are you sure Tim Evans kicked 7 that day?

The Toolman

Team Captain
Feb 15, 2005
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crows, Bays.
Leaping Lindner said:
IIRC (I was standing with Port Cheer Squad that day) didn't Nicholls finally move Phillis to full forward in the last qtr and he ended up kicking 3 goals in that qtr. A mate of mine (Bays supporter) is still convinced to this day that if Phillis had started the game at Full Forward the Bays would have won. Who knows? It was a great game to watch though (if you didn't care about the final result that much).

Fred was belatedly moved to FF and did kick 3 goals. From memory, Lutheran Minister cum Ruckman, Bob Paech, kicked 5 goals for the Bays.

The Toolman said:
Yes....a really interesting stat! One that never needs to be talked of again!! :p

Are you sure Tim Evans kicked 7 that day?

I knew you'd be thrilled ... :p

Indelibly etched in my memory - first premiership I saw Port win. And I still have a very yellow Sunday Mail liftout from the big day. Tim Evans, 10 kicks, 6 marks, 7.2.

Leaping Lindner said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. But Phillis had played FB all year and was probably behind Max James as the form FB (b4 Max moved onto the ball during the year). But he struggled containing Evans. Nicholls had that Cornes/Copping forward set up that yielded a lot of goals for the Bays early that year but by the end Cornes was back on ball and Copping on a wing. I still remember our Alberton homecoming in rd1 against the Bays. We won 25 goals to 20 in one of the great games and I reckon Cornes/Copping would've kicked a dozen between them.

doubleblues said:
and Toolman, yeh Baggy ended up playing as a permanent forward at the end of his career and kicked 74 goals to top the goalkicking for Sturt in 1978 which from memory included a bag of 10 against Port at Unley (I was there :) )

mind u those 10 were kicked on Chris Natt playing FB (I have a feeling he did that twice to us in 78, possibly Natt both times), so they don't really count ... ;) . Sturt gave poor Natty some terrible nightmares ...

The Toolman

Team Captain
Feb 15, 2005
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crows, Bays.
Ford Fairlane said:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. But Phillis had played FB all year and was probably behind Max James as the form FB (b4 Max moved onto the ball during the year). But he struggled containing Evans. Nicholls had that Cornes/Copping forward set up that yielded a lot of goals for the Bays early that year but by the end Cornes was back on ball and Copping on a wing. I still remember our Alberton homecoming in rd1 against the Bays. We won 25 goals to 20 in one of the great games and I reckon Cornes/Copping would've kicked a dozen between them.
I wonder now who started at Full Fwd for the Bays in that Grand Final...was it Paech with Carey in the ruck?

Copping was named at FF, Paech in a pocket. Carey was named at CHF and W Phillis leading the first ruck (a better option than playing on a HBF standing Trevor Sorrell which Nicholls tried in the 2nd Semi). I can't remember Copping doing much at FF so he might have at least gone to a wing. Cornes did start as first follower.

I don't think they bothered with Noel Avery :rolleyes: but Syd Jackson played.

It was also Randall Gerlach's last game, played in a back pocket and was among the best on the ground. A career sadly cut short by his kidney illness, but a worthy finale for him.

Sep 9, 2004
Where No Birds Fly
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide/Sturt/Wingfield
Ford Fairlane said:
It was also Randall Gerlach's last game, played in a back pocket and was among the best on the ground. A career sadly cut short by his kidney illness, but a worthy finale for him.
My uncle was a big Randell Gerlach fan..remember those badges with the photos of players. Pinned to my nannas wall was this person who looked like the burger king ..

OT: is it true that Ron Hateley South Adelaide was the original Hungry Jacks Burger King?

floppinab

All Australian
Apr 30, 2002
The Edge of Reality
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Doublues; Swannies
doubleblues said:

Remember those years, everytime Sturt were down at 3/4 time we'd all wait with baited breath for Oatey to put Baggy on the ball, invariably too late in most of our eyes, and try to win the game off his own boot.

The other thing to hurt Bagshaw's (and others) chances was Oatey's unwavering devotion to a team performance rather than relying on key individuals leading to a distinct lack of Magarey Medallists during his 20 years at Unley.

Back