Festerz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC Maggies SANFL, ASU Sun Devils
Entry to games free for AFL and Club members.

Will be held 13-16 April (coinciding with national school holidays) kicking off on Thursday night at Adelaide Oval. Night games will be held at Adelaide Oval Thurs, Fri and Sat night and double headers there on the Saturday and Sunday.

There will be no showdown Port Adelaide v Crows on the weekend.

Exact timings, match-ups and venues will be officially announced at a later date but McLachlan said the remaining three matches will be played at suburban grounds and "potentially a regional venue"

SANFL and other SA state leagues will have a bye round for the weekend.

The Riverbank/Pinky Flat area adjacent to Adelaide Oval will be turned into a festival area for the weekend. Major tourism events will be organised as part of the weekend to entice family groups from other states to attend.

McLachlan said the Parade closed off for a food, wine festival to coincide with a Norwood Oval game ('if' a game was scheduled there). And the Premier pumped up the Barossa as another possible venue.

Given the dates have been announced and ALL AFL teams will be playing it will be interesting to see what happens to airline flight and accommodation prices for that weekend. Thankfully Adelaide footy fans won't have to go through that torture.

Have to say that Malinauskas pumped up the value of the event to local businesses and the community pretty damned well.

Got cynical me a bit excited.

YeoShuey

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
This quote from Dan Andrews a while back sums it all up for me.

“Well look, I don’t want to be offensive to South Australians, but why would you want to go there?”

OxfordCambridge

Draftee
Nov 11, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
The burbs, what grounds ?
Would hopefully be Norwood Oval, Unley Oval or Glenelg Oval. All iconic SANFL grounds located close to entertainment precincts and easy access to the city.

The others are nice grounds but lack local entertainment vibe. A game in the Barossa could be ok, but it dilutes the footy carnival in the city idea, and would make things interesting after sampling some of the local reds, bienenstick and metwurst.

Recon_29

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
People wanting this to be a flop are in for a bit of a shock I think. Hotels seem to be already booking up quickly, personally know several people who have already booked to fly in with only dates announced. Tickets might be a nightmare. Hopefully club members get first dibs.

Dirty Bird

Pokémon Master
Aug 1, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
#BostonStrong #RiseUp
Can't see how they are going to schedule who plays who.

Who gets to have their otherwise interstate clash played on neutral grounds instead and is say for example Brisbane going to be happy playing Geelong at the Adelaide Oval instead of the Gabba because 7 teams are going to be giving up a potential home clash against someone and have it played in Adelaide.

And 7 teams are going to as happy as pigs in s**t having a potential away trip to someone's home ground played on neutral grounds. No one is playing 3 times in the year so 7 teams are giving up potential home games against someone and going neutral.

One things for sure, 16 sets of fans are going to be pissed off, either with who they play or who another teams gets to play in Adelaide.
No one is losing a game ffs.

"Home" and "Away" are for administrative reasons only.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Would hopefully be Norwood Oval, Unley Oval or Glenelg Oval. All iconic SANFL grounds located close to entertainment precincts and easy access to the city.

The others are nice grounds but lack local entertainment vibe. A game in the Barossa could be ok, but it dilutes the footy carnival in the city idea, and would make things interesting after sampling some of the local reds, bienenstick and metwurst.
One side of Unley Oval is completely unusable for spectators. Glenelg is another little undersized turd box.

I get Norwood Oval for it's location the other two are pointless. much better sinking a bit of money into a country venue.

OxfordCambridge

Draftee
Nov 11, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Who can afford to spend money on the basis of a one of event, even spend the taxpayers dollar.
It's "one off". Don't business and government do it all the time? Olympics etc. And who knows, it may become regular if people do it right.

Dirty Bird

Pokémon Master
Aug 1, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
#BostonStrong #RiseUp
This quote from Dan Andrews a while back sums it all up for me.

“Well look, I don’t want to be offensive to South Australians, but why would you want to go there?”
Next minute: Lines at the border with everyone from Victoria trying to get into South Australia.

OxfordCambridge

Draftee
Nov 11, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
One side of Unley Oval is completely unusable for spectators. Glenelg is another little undersized turd box.

I get Norwood Oval for it's location the other two are pointless. much better sinking a bit of money into a country venue.
They are both good little grounds perfect for the smaller team clashes and will be lucky to be much over 7k.

The idea is for a footy carnival with entertainment facilities available close by for fans. Interstate fans probably not so keen to fly over, hire car to little town with tiny capacity oval and facilities with little entertainment afterwards - then drive back/stay night in local pub.

Magma

Hall of Famer
Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
The only thing Norwood Oval has going for it is location, it's a pathetically crappy little oval dimensions wise with ancient facilities & a brick wall on one side too close to the boundary.. oh and the surface is rubbish too.
im stunned the afl play the aflw there. thought the brick wall would've scared them off. seen many a player shoved into there. and yes it's a shithole anyways

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Chuffed it’s in SA will definitely go over for the weekend.
Good move by sa government and AFL.
AFL get a guaranteed 20+ mil to sure things up and SA with a bit of foresight potentially bring 50+mil to stimulate their economy and advertise the state.
Hope the anchors are in the Barossa !

Dirty Bird

Pokémon Master
Aug 1, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
#BostonStrong #RiseUp
Chuffed it’s in SA will definitely go over for the weekend.
Good move by sa government and AFL.
AFL get a guaranteed 20+ mil to sure things up and SA with a bit of foresight potentially bring 50+mil to stimulate their economy and advertise the state.
Hope the anchors are in the Barossa !
You wont be

They'd send the Chardy sipping West Coast up there.
And they wont waste a Derby there.

Magma

Hall of Famer
Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
i reckon if there's 3 games in the suburbs it'll be richmond, glenelg and norwood. in terms of any games out further i dont think it matters, many of the grounds out there are fantastic. i went out to loxton for westies/port and that was an absolute blast.

Dirty Bird

Pokémon Master
Aug 1, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
#BostonStrong #RiseUp
last post 1 minute ago by Dirty Bird. this will be about Port.

I was right.
I mean - Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Of my 20 posts in this thread previously before that, only 1 even had port mentioned, and it was a proposed fixture I made up.

ibd77

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
i reckon if there's 3 games in the suburbs it'll be richmond, glenelg and norwood. in terms of any games out further i dont think it matters, many of the grounds out there are fantastic. i went out to loxton for westies/port and that was an absolute blast.
Richmond & Elizabeth Ovals?

Or Noarlunga Oval for car tooting goodness!

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
People wanting this to be a flop are in for a bit of a shock I think. Hotels seem to be already booking up quickly, personally know several people who have already booked to fly in with only dates announced. Tickets might be a nightmare. Hopefully club members get first dibs.

You predicting sell outs ?

Magma

Hall of Famer
Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Richmond & Elizabeth Ovals?

Or Noarlunga Oval for car tooting goodness!
i considered noarlunga cos the afl loves a gimmick and it is a genuinely nice ground before you freeze your dick off, but i doubt the afl will want either lizbef or the south pole with how far away they are in relativity to everyone else

Cubs2Lions

Club Legend
Jan 12, 2021
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
South Adelaide
i considered noarlunga cos the afl loves a gimmick and it is a genuinely nice ground before you freeze your dick off, but i doubt the afl will want either lizbef or the south pole with how far away they are in relativity to everyone else
Don’t know about Elizabeth but at least with Noarlunga stadium, theres a train line that connects to the city so if a game was played in the afternoon there, people can rush on the train afterwards to the city to watch both AO night matches if they wanted to.

Remove this Banner Ad