Festerz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC Maggies SANFL, ASU Sun Devils
Entry to games free for AFL and Club members.

Will be held 13-16 April (coinciding with national school holidays) kicking off on Thursday night at Adelaide Oval. Night games will be held at Adelaide Oval Thurs, Fri and Sat night and double headers there on the Saturday and Sunday.

There will be no showdown Port Adelaide v Crows on the weekend.

Exact timings, match-ups and venues will be officially announced at a later date but McLachlan said the remaining three matches will be played at suburban grounds and "potentially a regional venue"

SANFL and other SA state leagues will have a bye round for the weekend.

The Riverbank/Pinky Flat area adjacent to Adelaide Oval will be turned into a festival area for the weekend. Major tourism events will be organised as part of the weekend to entice family groups from other states to attend.

McLachlan said the Parade closed off for a food, wine festival to coincide with a Norwood Oval game ('if' a game was scheduled there). And the Premier pumped up the Barossa as another possible venue.

Given the dates have been announced and ALL AFL teams will be playing it will be interesting to see what happens to airline flight and accommodation prices for that weekend. Thankfully Adelaide footy fans won't have to go through that torture.

Have to say that Malinauskas pumped up the value of the event to local businesses and the community pretty damned well.

Got cynical me a bit excited.

jdeezy

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Victoria has the grand final , it’s only fair that the other states has the magic round.
I highly doubt Melbourne will ever get this magic round thing - in fact I reckon the Victorian government will use this as a way to quietly extend the Grand Final contact, which is bullshit but exactly the kind of s**t the AFL would pull. That being said, I reckon if Magic Round sticks around it'll eventually be hosted in "Country Victoria" as a semi compromise for the "hardship" of Victorian clubs having to travel interstate 6 times a year or whatever it now is.

OxfordCambridge

Draftee
Nov 11, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
To maximize the footy festival atmosphere I think it would be best to keep all matches in inner Adelaide city so that fans can see as many games as possible and the city is buzzing with footy fans from all over Australia. Barossa idea sounds ok but takes fans away from the carnival and ability to maximize matches seen.

Also Richmond oval is decent setup but being in a semi-industrial are has zero entertainment precinct for fans afterwards. Which is the point.

Suburban grounds adjacent to entertainment precincts and should be used are Norwood (the Parade, city), Glenelg (Jetty Rd, tram straight to city), or Unley (Unley/King Willy/Hutt St, close to city).

Spreading games all over state or at ovals with no entertainment precinct nearby is a waste of time and defeats the whole festival concept.

Have a regional round if this is the aim.

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
TBH I think today's announcement was a bit of a nothing burger.
We knew it was happening we roughly knew when it was happening and for the last few days which city it was happening in I thought they would at least say these will be the matches you will see on that weekend announcing times and dates when the full fixture is released, instead they pretty much told us what we more or less already knew.

Be interesting to know what the SA Government will regard as success for the taxpayer ?

Will they compare the spend on the Supercars* in the next few weeks (also an initiative from the Malinauskis Government)

*The VALO Adelaide 500 will be held December 1-4 and broadcast live on Fox Sports and the Seven Network.

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Flights already sky rocketed
Never miss a gouging opportunity!

Some suburban grounds are too small playing area so will be ruled out.

Two small drawing teams will be paired for each of the three non AO games, the mix for the six AO games will pair teams to draw the biggest crowds. A lot of permutations for the AFL to work through.

One that AFL should look at I reckon is Pies play at the spacious Elizabeth, their supporters will feel right at home out there.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Perth darwin and cairns a bridge to far for a long weekend but recommend the drive from Alice Brisbane Canberra Melbourne and Sydney

mattpolo8

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Reckon it would be a smart move on clubs' behalf if they have the Barossa game to put on buses for members from Adelaide. Not sure how accessible the Barossa is without a car..?

Demon13304

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I highly doubt Melbourne will ever get this magic round thing - in fact I reckon the Victorian government will use this as a way to quietly extend the Grand Final contact, which is bullshit but exactly the kind of s**t the AFL would pull. That being said, I reckon if Magic Round sticks around it'll eventually be hosted in "Country Victoria" as a semi compromise for the "hardship" of Victorian clubs having to travel interstate 6 times a year or whatever it now is.
Always finding away to bring in something about Vic bias and get upset about something that hasn't happened (yet).

Only some Victorian clubs that get it that good, and even then they have less actually home ground advantage games then Interstate clubs. Yeah it might seem unfair, but every club gets there pros and cons throughout the country, including port.

I know my mob played the same amount of games at our home ground (12) as yours this year .

Anyway back on magic round, Im reasonably keen for this cos I can go with some mates or the girlfriend, who all go for different teams. And I do the same if it's in Vic country.
Although I was secretly hoping it'd be in Sydney cos I've never been up there.

Last edited:

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
I am glad to hear that there will be no showdown on this weekend. 2 SANFL grounds and 1 game in the Barossa or McLaren Vale
hoping the fixture goes something like this:

Thurs night 7:20PM: Adelaide vs Essendon - Adelaide Oval

Friday Night 7:20PM: Port Power vs Melbourne - Adelaide Oval

Saturday Arvo 1:15PM: Hawthorn vs Carlton - Adelaide Oval

Saturday Arvo 1:45pm: Sydney vs Brisbane - Barossa/Mclaren vale

Saturday Twilight 4:05pm: West Coast vs Gold Coast - Richmond Oval

Saturday Night 7:10pm: Collingwood vs Geelong

Sunday Arvo 12:40pm: Bulldogs vs North Melbourne - Adelaide Oval

Sunday Arvo 2:50PM: Fremantle vs GWS - Norwood Oval

Sunday Twilight 4:10pm: Richmond vs St Kilda - AO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coolangatta

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am glad to hear that there will be no showdown on this weekend. 2 SANFL grounds and 1 game in the Barossa or McLaren Vale
hoping the fixture goes something like this:

Friday Night 7:20PM: Port Power vs Melbourne - Adelaide Oval

Saturday Arvo 1:45pm: Sydney vs Brisbane - Barossa/Mclaren vale

Saturday Twilight 4:05pm: West Coast vs Gold Coast - Richmond Oval

Saturday Night 7:10pm: Collingwood vs Geelong

Sunday Arvo 2:50PM: Fremantle vs GWS - Norwood Oval

Sunday Twilight 4:10pm: Richmond vs St Kilda - AO
Or:

Thursday night: Crows v Cats AO
Friday night: Port v Pies AO
Saturday: Suns v North Barossa
Saturday: Swans v Lions Richmond Oval
Saturday night: St Kilda v Fremantle Adelaide Oval
Saturday twilight /night: Melbourne v Carlton Adelaide Oval (double header)
Sunday: GWS v W. Bulldogs Norwood
Sunday: West Coast v Hawthorn Adelaide Oval
Sunday: Richmond v Essendon Adelaide Oval (can still do Dreamtime at G later)

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
Or:

Thursday night: Crows v Cats AO
Friday night: Port v Pies AO
Saturday: Suns v North Barossa
Saturday: Swans v Lions Richmond Oval
Saturday night: St Kilda v Fremantle Adelaide Oval
Saturday twilight /night: Melbourne v Carlton Adelaide Oval (double header)
Sunday: GWS v W. Bulldogs Norwood
Sunday: West Coast v Hawthorn Adelaide Oval
Sunday: Richmond v Essendon Adelaide Oval (can still do Dreamtime at G later)
Indigenous round is always around that round 8-10.. so i cant see The Tigers playing the Bombers here. and i really cant see games such as Saints v Freo at the AO or West Coast v Hawks at the AO. Guaranteed loss for the Crows is we play the Cats, that's why i am hoping for a 50/50 game lol so Crows v Essendon means we have a chance to win.

OxfordCambridge

Draftee
Nov 11, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club

Friday Night 7:20PM: Port vs Melbourne - Adelaide Oval

Saturday Arvo 1:45pm: West Coast vs Gold Coast - Glenelg Oval

Saturday Twilight 4:05pm: Sydney vs Brisbane - Norwood Oval

Saturday Night 7:10pm: Collingwood vs Geelong - Adelaide Oval

Sunday Arvo 2:50PM: Fremantle vs GWS - Unley Oval

Sunday Twilight 4:10pm: Richmond vs St Kilda - Adelaide Oval

magpiemaniac44

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars

Friday Night 7:20PM: Port vs Melbourne - Adelaide Oval

Saturday Arvo 1:45pm: West Coast vs Gold Coast - Glenelg Oval

Saturday Twilight 4:05pm: Sydney vs Brisbane - Norwood Oval

Saturday Night 7:10pm: Collingwood vs Geelong - Adelaide Oval

Sunday Arvo 2:50PM: Fremantle vs GWS - Unley Oval

Sunday Twilight 4:10pm: Richmond vs St Kilda - Adelaide Oval
I reckon Collingwood v Geelong will be round 1 or 2.

Walshawk

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
For Carnival Round to be a success (I.e. tens of thousands of tourist coming from interstate), you need to set up double headers with team from the same state. E.g. Why it succeeds in NRL is you get mates who support different teams making a weekend of it. Have the big Vic club playing Saturday so it is easier for people to get there. Crows and Oort fans will be there anyway so put those teams up against lower drawing teams.

Axe Thursday night. There is nothing special about Adelaide v Essendon. Would just feel like a normal game. Below are Melbourne times.

FRI 5.40pm Crows v GWS / 8.40pm Melb v Syd (AO) 50k

SAT 12.10pm Nth v WC / 3.10pm Freo v WB (Barossa) Full house (5k - 8k).

SAT 4.10pm Carl v Ess / 7.10pm Tiges v Pies (AO) 50k

SUN 12.20pm Hawks v StK / 3.20pm Port v GC / 6.20pm Cats v Lions (AO) 50k

Whiskers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong and hawthorn will both be on the Sunday with Easter Monday being the week before.
I would expect the hawks to be punted to the Barossa

FlowersByIrene

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Its about who plays who in regards to an interstate opponent, my mistake i should've made that more clearer.

For example: Fremantle vs Collingwood gets shifted from Perth to Adelaide, it's those sorts of games i'm talking about.

Could you imagine how delighted say Brisbane would be if they got to play the Cats in Adelaide instead of GMHBA Stadium as one of their twice games against them.

Only neutral games will be those involving same state teams.

The game isn't getting "shifted" anywhere... it wouldn't have happened in any teams home state. It's a new game at a neutral venue.

Recon_29

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
For Carnival Round to be a success (I.e. tens of thousands of tourist coming from interstate), you need to set up double headers with team from the same state. E.g. Why it succeeds in NRL is you get mates who support different teams making a weekend of it. Have the big Vic club playing Saturday so it is easier for people to get there. Crows and Oort fans will be there anyway so put those teams up against lower drawing teams.

Axe Thursday night. There is nothing special about Adelaide v Essendon. Would just feel like a normal game. Below are Melbourne times.

FRI 5.40pm Crows v GWS / 8.40pm Melb v Syd (AO) 50k

SAT 12.10pm Nth v WC / 3.10pm Freo v WB (Barossa) Full house (5k - 8k).

SAT 4.10pm Carl v Ess / 7.10pm Tiges v Pies (AO) 50k

SUN 12.20pm Hawks v StK / 3.20pm Port v GC / 6.20pm Cats v Lions (AO) 50k

I dont mind the theory here but the NRL dont have the issue of home ground sellouts during the season like the AFL does so they try to maximise crowds using a home team by putting the Broncos on the double header Friday night. But they actually have triple headers on the Sat & Sun which means you have 6 sets of supporters to draw from and they still dont sell them out. I think if you put Port or Crows on a double header you risk a lot of people missing out on a ticket if either side is in any sort of form. Adelaide have no issue filling the joint if they are in form, even Port fans have shown that ability.

I think the double headers will feature bigger Victorian clubs and maybe a Sydney or West Coast (bigger Non Vic clubs) and I believe they will have no issue filling the place both days. The goal from the AFL and SA Govt has to be to maximise crowds to make the event attractive and a success. I guess the aim would also be to fill the Thursday and Friday night empty seats with neutrals who have come in for the weekend. I would love to watch a SA team home game as a neutral. I also hope they allocate games based on the last seasons ladder, you play against a team in your bracket of 6, similar to how they do the fixture. I think the double headers need to go one after the other without a large break in-between the games for people who are planning to watch both.

Maybe something like this:

Thursday

7.20pm Port vs North - AO

Friday

7.50pm Adelaide vs GWS - AO

Saturday

12.10pm Melbourne vs Brisbane - Norwood

2.10pm Hawthorn vs Gold Coast - Barossa

4.45pm Carlton vs St Kilda - AO
7.40pm Richmond vs Bulldogs - AO

Sunday

1.10pm Fremantle vs Geelong - Norwood

3.45pm Essendon vs West Coast - AO
6.30pm Collingwood vs Sydney - AO

Cubs2Lions

Club Legend
Jan 12, 2021
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
South Adelaide
Inside knowledge from my end is that most likely Adelaide will be playing their match on the Friday Night, while Port Adelaide will be playing their match on the Saturday Night :padlock:

McLuggages

Debutant
Nov 8, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Brisbane and Collingwood are playing Easter Thursday the week before so I'd expect these teams to be on Thursday/Friday?

Maybe Brisbane vs Geelong/Dees on Thursday and Adelaide vs Pies on Friday.

Remove this Banner Ad