Festerz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2019
///comet.repair.export
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC Maggies SANFL, ASU Sun Devils
Entry to games free for AFL and Club members.

Will be held 13-16 April (coinciding with national school holidays) kicking off on Thursday night at Adelaide Oval. Night games will be held at Adelaide Oval Thurs, Fri and Sat night and double headers there on the Saturday and Sunday.

There will be no showdown Port Adelaide v Crows on the weekend.

Exact timings, match-ups and venues will be officially announced at a later date but McLachlan said the remaining three matches will be played at suburban grounds and "potentially a regional venue"

SANFL and other SA state leagues will have a bye round for the weekend.

The Riverbank/Pinky Flat area adjacent to Adelaide Oval will be turned into a festival area for the weekend. Major tourism events will be organised as part of the weekend to entice family groups from other states to attend.

McLachlan said the Parade closed off for a food, wine festival to coincide with a Norwood Oval game ('if' a game was scheduled there). And the Premier pumped up the Barossa as another possible venue.

Given the dates have been announced and ALL AFL teams will be playing it will be interesting to see what happens to airline flight and accommodation prices for that weekend. Thankfully Adelaide footy fans won't have to go through that torture.

Have to say that Malinauskas pumped up the value of the event to local businesses and the community pretty damned well.

Got cynical me a bit excited.

Walshawk

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Brisbane and Collingwood are playing Easter Thursday the week before so I'd expect these teams to be on Thursday/Friday?

Maybe Brisbane vs Geelong/Dees on Thursday and Adelaide vs Pies on Friday.
Hawks v Cats Easter Monday. Will both be on the Sunday.

Canberra Pear

All Australian
Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Don’t know about Elizabeth but at least with Noarlunga stadium, theres a train line that connects to the city so if a game was played in the afternoon there, people can rush on the train afterwards to the city to watch both AO night matches if they wanted to.

Elizabeth Station on the Gawler Line is about a 10-minute walk. Very accessible from the city.

From memory, much of the seating was just concrete steps and metal benches. But plenty of grassy hill.

CrowsB4hoes

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wonder if they would think about aligning any AFL clubs with their SANFL equivalents?

If a game at Brighton Oval (home of Glenelg), make it a Richmond home game.

Make the Barossa game a Bulldogs home game.

Melbourne at Norwood, etc.

Cubs2Lions

Club Legend
Jan 12, 2021
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
South Adelaide
I wonder if they would think about aligning any AFL clubs with their SANFL equivalents?

If a game at Brighton Oval (home of Glenelg), make it a Richmond home game.

Make the Barossa game a Bulldogs home game.

Melbourne at Norwood, etc.
Wouldn’t it be more appropriate if Bulldogs played at Elizabeth instead of the Barossa though (Central Districts alignment).

Purple7x08_24

Director of Music
May 8, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Surely it looks like this

Port Vs Richmond
Adelaide Vs Collingwood
Geelong Vs Melbourne
Brisbane vs Bulldogs
West Coast vs Sydney
Gold Coast vs North
Fremantle vs Carlton

Raffle the rest

Purple7x08_24

Director of Music
May 8, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thu night- Port v rich -
Sat- 4pm - Freo v Melb -
Sat - 730 pm - Carlton v St kilda
Sun - 730pm - Brisbane v geelong

This is a rumoured draft I heard about looks realistic and sensible
I'd go to the following games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ginnieboy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
What a load of s**t, NRL need it because no one turns up, we clearly do not, if it isn’t broke…..

Canberra Pear

All Australian
Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What a load of s**t, NRL need it because no one turns up, we clearly do not, if it isn’t broke…..

It's not really about that though.

It's about fitting in an extra round without giving half the clubs an extra home game. Probably already a part of the upcoming broadcast agreement.

Having states bid on it and staying in the news cycle in the off-season is just gravy.

Ginnieboy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's not really about that though.

It's about fitting in an extra round without giving half the clubs an extra home game. Probably already a part of the upcoming broadcast agreement.

Having states bid on it and staying in the news cycle in the off-season is just gravy.
AFLPA is going to love that, imagine if your work had a ‘magic round’ where you were required to work on top of your normal duties.

mrmonkey

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
AFLPA is going to love that, imagine if your work had a ‘magic round’ where you were required to work on top of your normal duties.
If I had to work one extra day in another city and get paid $2,000 for it, I'd be he happy with that.

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
One point not addressed in the media articles about "Magic Round" is broadcast rights. It's safe to assume that at least the Thursday and Friday night games will be on Seven, but will these be additional FTA games or will they be taken from other rounds so the same number of overall games are on FTA?

Walshawk

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
One point not addressed in the media articles about "Magic Round" is broadcast rights. It's safe to assume that at least the Thursday and Friday night games will be on Seven, but will these be additional FTA games or will they be taken from other rounds so the same number of overall games are on FTA?
I would suggest that the next broadcast deal was based on the extra 11 games and extra round that the 19th team in Tas will deliver. This is almost the same. The extra round would likely have three FTA games like almost every other round. They would be on top of the previously agreed games. This is contra from the AFL to the networks.

ShooterMcGavin8

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
As much as I hate the idea my opinion on a possible fixture

Thursday Night 7.20pm - Adelaide vs Carlton (Adelaide Oval)
Friday Night 7.50pm - Port vs Brisbane ( Adelaide Oval)

Saturday 1.10pm - Western Bulldogs Vs Gold Coast ( Suburban )
Saturday 3.20pm - Fremantle V Collingwood (Adelaide Oval )
Saturday 4.45pm - GWS vs St Kilda (Suburban)
Saturday 7.00pm - Richmond V Sydney (Adelaide Oval)

Sunday 12pm - North V West Coast (Suburban)
Sunday 3pm - Geelong Vs Essendon (Adelaide Oval)
Sunday 6.30pm - Hawthorn V Melbourne (Adealide Oval)

Purple7x08_24

Director of Music
May 8, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
As much as I hate the idea my opinion on a possible fixture

Thursday Night 7.20pm - Adelaide vs Carlton (Adelaide Oval)
Friday Night 7.50pm - Port vs Brisbane ( Adelaide Oval)

Saturday 1.10pm - Western Bulldogs Vs Gold Coast ( Suburban )
Saturday 3.20pm - Fremantle V Collingwood (Adelaide Oval )
Saturday 4.45pm - GWS vs St Kilda (Suburban)
Saturday 7.00pm - Richmond V Sydney (Adelaide Oval)

Sunday 12pm - North V West Coast (Suburban)
Sunday 3pm - Geelong Vs Essendon (Adelaide Oval)
Sunday 6.30pm - Hawthorn V Melbourne (Adealide Oval)
If it's all about tv ratings, how is that good?

Remove this Banner Ad