Fixture Gather Round - SA announced as host for next 3 years 2024-2026

Remove this Banner Ad

GATHER ROUND SOUTH AUSTRALIA
AFL LOCKS IN SA FOR NEXT THREE SEASONS

The AFL in partnership with the SA Government is pleased to announce ‘Gather Round…. A Festival of Footy’ will be hosted in South Australia for the next three seasons.

The inaugural ‘Gather Round’ has been an overwhelming success, with all nine games sold out, more than 220,000 fans attending matches across the Adelaide Oval, Norwood Oval and Mount Barker in the Adelaide Hills and tens of thousands of fans attending the footy festival on the banks of Torrens.

More than 60,000 fans purchased tickets from interstate.

Across 2024, 2025 and 2026, Gather Round …. A festival of footy will be hosted exclusively in South Australia, with Adelaide Oval to be the central venue, with the intent from both the AFL and the SA Government to take regional matches in 2024 to the Barossa / McClaren Vale region.

As part of the three-year term, both the AFL and SA Government have also committed to establishing a community football legacy fund, that will benefit local footy clubs in the state beyond the weekend of matches.

The AFL will lock in the fixture dates of the round in the coming weeks to give fans as much lead time as possible to book travel and accommodation.

Ticketing information will be release later in the year.

“South Australia really turned it on. Gather Round and all the activity across the state, the nine matches, the footy festival and the community football engagement has been some of the best days and events the AFL has ever delivered,” AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan said.

“It has been a success because everyone in football got behind the idea, clubs, players, corporate partners and most importantly our fans, to deliver an extraordinary few days,

“While the concept has real momentum, and we plan on taking it to other states around the country, we also feel in order for it to be as successful in the other states we need to continue to build out the concept in South Australia,

“The reality is we only had a few months to pull this together, and we hope by locking it in now we are giving everyone a longer runway to put together a bigger and even better event, and our fans certainty around booking travel and accommodation.

“The match at Mount Barker was a special afternoon on Saturday and an important part of recommitting to South Australia was to establish the community legacy fund, ensuring local footy clubs’ benefit from bringing the Gather Round to town.”

During the round the AFL has facilitated dozens of community club and school visits, held seminars for community club volunteers and delivered more than 10,000 footballs to regional community clubs.

Details on the Community legacy fund will be communicated at a later date.

“On behalf of the AFL I want to thank to Premier Malinauskas and his team in the SA Government who in partnership, delivered an unbelievable few days for footy and the state of South Australia.”

The AFL will also work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players.

“The players have been strong partners in the Gather Round concept and have embraced wholeheartedly the round. We will now work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players in the coming years.”

SA Premier Peter Malinauskas said “The inaugural Gather Round has been a stunning success, in no small part thanks to the willingness of South Australians, and our interstate visitors, to show up.
“We know that this has delivered huge benefits for our state, and that is why I’m so pleased to see it return for the next three years.”

“With more time to plan, we know we can make Gather Round even bigger and better than what it has already become.”

“I want to thank Gillon McLachlan, the AFL, wider footballing community, public servants, councils and others who’ve all worked so hard to deliver such an amazing event in just a few months.”

“But most of all, I want to thank each and every person who showed up.”

“This agreement is because of you.”

-ends-

Last edited by a moderator:
Victoria has the grand final , it’s only fair that the other states has the magic round.
I highly doubt Melbourne will ever get this magic round thing - in fact I reckon the Victorian government will use this as a way to quietly extend the Grand Final contact, which is bullshit but exactly the kind of s**t the AFL would pull. That being said, I reckon if Magic Round sticks around it'll eventually be hosted in "Country Victoria" as a semi compromise for the "hardship" of Victorian clubs having to travel interstate 6 times a year or whatever it now is.

To maximize the footy festival atmosphere I think it would be best to keep all matches in inner Adelaide city so that fans can see as many games as possible and the city is buzzing with footy fans from all over Australia. Barossa idea sounds ok but takes fans away from the carnival and ability to maximize matches seen.

Also Richmond oval is decent setup but being in a semi-industrial are has zero entertainment precinct for fans afterwards. Which is the point.

Suburban grounds adjacent to entertainment precincts and should be used are Norwood (the Parade, city), Glenelg (Jetty Rd, tram straight to city), or Unley (Unley/King Willy/Hutt St, close to city).

Spreading games all over state or at ovals with no entertainment precinct nearby is a waste of time and defeats the whole festival concept.

Have a regional round if this is the aim.

TBH I think today's announcement was a bit of a nothing burger.
We knew it was happening we roughly knew when it was happening and for the last few days which city it was happening in I thought they would at least say these will be the matches you will see on that weekend announcing times and dates when the full fixture is released, instead they pretty much told us what we more or less already knew.

Be interesting to know what the SA Government will regard as success for the taxpayer ?

Will they compare the spend on the Supercars* in the next few weeks (also an initiative from the Malinauskis Government)

*The VALO Adelaide 500 will be held December 1-4 and broadcast live on Fox Sports and the Seven Network.

Flights already sky rocketed
Never miss a gouging opportunity!

Some suburban grounds are too small playing area so will be ruled out.

Two small drawing teams will be paired for each of the three non AO games, the mix for the six AO games will pair teams to draw the biggest crowds. A lot of permutations for the AFL to work through.

One that AFL should look at I reckon is Pies play at the spacious Elizabeth, their supporters will feel right at home out there.

Reckon it would be a smart move on clubs' behalf if they have the Barossa game to put on buses for members from Adelaide. Not sure how accessible the Barossa is without a car..?

I highly doubt Melbourne will ever get this magic round thing - in fact I reckon the Victorian government will use this as a way to quietly extend the Grand Final contact, which is bullshit but exactly the kind of s**t the AFL would pull. That being said, I reckon if Magic Round sticks around it'll eventually be hosted in "Country Victoria" as a semi compromise for the "hardship" of Victorian clubs having to travel interstate 6 times a year or whatever it now is.
Always finding away to bring in something about Vic bias and get upset about something that hasn't happened (yet).

Only some Victorian clubs that get it that good, and even then they have less actually home ground advantage games then Interstate clubs. Yeah it might seem unfair, but every club gets there pros and cons throughout the country, including port.

I know my mob played the same amount of games at our home ground (12) as yours this year .

Anyway back on magic round, Im reasonably keen for this cos I can go with some mates or the girlfriend, who all go for different teams. And I do the same if it's in Vic country.
Although I was secretly hoping it'd be in Sydney cos I've never been up there.

Last edited:
I am glad to hear that there will be no showdown on this weekend. 2 SANFL grounds and 1 game in the Barossa or McLaren Vale
hoping the fixture goes something like this:

Thurs night 7:20PM: Adelaide vs Essendon - Adelaide Oval

Friday Night 7:20PM: Port Power vs Melbourne - Adelaide Oval

Saturday Arvo 1:15PM: Hawthorn vs Carlton - Adelaide Oval

Saturday Arvo 1:45pm: Sydney vs Brisbane - Barossa/Mclaren vale

Saturday Twilight 4:05pm: West Coast vs Gold Coast - Richmond Oval

Saturday Night 7:10pm: Collingwood vs Geelong

Sunday Arvo 12:40pm: Bulldogs vs North Melbourne - Adelaide Oval

Sunday Arvo 2:50PM: Fremantle vs GWS - Norwood Oval

Sunday Twilight 4:10pm: Richmond vs St Kilda - AO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am glad to hear that there will be no showdown on this weekend. 2 SANFL grounds and 1 game in the Barossa or McLaren Vale
hoping the fixture goes something like this:

Friday Night 7:20PM: Port Power vs Melbourne - Adelaide Oval

Saturday Arvo 1:45pm: Sydney vs Brisbane - Barossa/Mclaren vale

Saturday Twilight 4:05pm: West Coast vs Gold Coast - Richmond Oval

Saturday Night 7:10pm: Collingwood vs Geelong

Sunday Arvo 2:50PM: Fremantle vs GWS - Norwood Oval

Sunday Twilight 4:10pm: Richmond vs St Kilda - AO
Or:

Thursday night: Crows v Cats AO
Friday night: Port v Pies AO
Saturday: Suns v North Barossa
Saturday: Swans v Lions Richmond Oval
Saturday night: St Kilda v Fremantle Adelaide Oval
Saturday twilight /night: Melbourne v Carlton Adelaide Oval (double header)
Sunday: GWS v W. Bulldogs Norwood
Sunday: West Coast v Hawthorn Adelaide Oval
Sunday: Richmond v Essendon Adelaide Oval (can still do Dreamtime at G later)

Or:

Thursday night: Crows v Cats AO
Friday night: Port v Pies AO
Saturday: Suns v North Barossa
Saturday: Swans v Lions Richmond Oval
Saturday night: St Kilda v Fremantle Adelaide Oval
Saturday twilight /night: Melbourne v Carlton Adelaide Oval (double header)
Sunday: GWS v W. Bulldogs Norwood
Sunday: West Coast v Hawthorn Adelaide Oval
Sunday: Richmond v Essendon Adelaide Oval (can still do Dreamtime at G later)
Indigenous round is always around that round 8-10.. so i cant see The Tigers playing the Bombers here. and i really cant see games such as Saints v Freo at the AO or West Coast v Hawks at the AO. Guaranteed loss for the Crows is we play the Cats, that's why i am hoping for a 50/50 game lol so Crows v Essendon means we have a chance to win.

Friday Night 7:20PM: Port vs Melbourne - Adelaide Oval

Saturday Arvo 1:45pm: West Coast vs Gold Coast - Glenelg Oval

Saturday Twilight 4:05pm: Sydney vs Brisbane - Norwood Oval

Saturday Night 7:10pm: Collingwood vs Geelong - Adelaide Oval

Sunday Arvo 2:50PM: Fremantle vs GWS - Unley Oval

Sunday Twilight 4:10pm: Richmond vs St Kilda - Adelaide Oval

Friday Night 7:20PM: Port vs Melbourne - Adelaide Oval

Saturday Arvo 1:45pm: West Coast vs Gold Coast - Glenelg Oval

Saturday Twilight 4:05pm: Sydney vs Brisbane - Norwood Oval

Saturday Night 7:10pm: Collingwood vs Geelong - Adelaide Oval

Sunday Arvo 2:50PM: Fremantle vs GWS - Unley Oval

Sunday Twilight 4:10pm: Richmond vs St Kilda - Adelaide Oval
I reckon Collingwood v Geelong will be round 1 or 2.

For Carnival Round to be a success (I.e. tens of thousands of tourist coming from interstate), you need to set up double headers with team from the same state. E.g. Why it succeeds in NRL is you get mates who support different teams making a weekend of it. Have the big Vic club playing Saturday so it is easier for people to get there. Crows and Oort fans will be there anyway so put those teams up against lower drawing teams.

Axe Thursday night. There is nothing special about Adelaide v Essendon. Would just feel like a normal game. Below are Melbourne times.

FRI 5.40pm Crows v GWS / 8.40pm Melb v Syd (AO) 50k

SAT 12.10pm Nth v WC / 3.10pm Freo v WB (Barossa) Full house (5k - 8k).

SAT 4.10pm Carl v Ess / 7.10pm Tiges v Pies (AO) 50k

SUN 12.20pm Hawks v StK / 3.20pm Port v GC / 6.20pm Cats v Lions (AO) 50k

Its about who plays who in regards to an interstate opponent, my mistake i should've made that more clearer.

For example: Fremantle vs Collingwood gets shifted from Perth to Adelaide, it's those sorts of games i'm talking about.

Could you imagine how delighted say Brisbane would be if they got to play the Cats in Adelaide instead of GMHBA Stadium as one of their twice games against them.

Only neutral games will be those involving same state teams.

The game isn't getting "shifted" anywhere... it wouldn't have happened in any teams home state. It's a new game at a neutral venue.

For Carnival Round to be a success (I.e. tens of thousands of tourist coming from interstate), you need to set up double headers with team from the same state. E.g. Why it succeeds in NRL is you get mates who support different teams making a weekend of it. Have the big Vic club playing Saturday so it is easier for people to get there. Crows and Oort fans will be there anyway so put those teams up against lower drawing teams.

Axe Thursday night. There is nothing special about Adelaide v Essendon. Would just feel like a normal game. Below are Melbourne times.

FRI 5.40pm Crows v GWS / 8.40pm Melb v Syd (AO) 50k

SAT 12.10pm Nth v WC / 3.10pm Freo v WB (Barossa) Full house (5k - 8k).

SAT 4.10pm Carl v Ess / 7.10pm Tiges v Pies (AO) 50k

SUN 12.20pm Hawks v StK / 3.20pm Port v GC / 6.20pm Cats v Lions (AO) 50k

I dont mind the theory here but the NRL dont have the issue of home ground sellouts during the season like the AFL does so they try to maximise crowds using a home team by putting the Broncos on the double header Friday night. But they actually have triple headers on the Sat & Sun which means you have 6 sets of supporters to draw from and they still dont sell them out. I think if you put Port or Crows on a double header you risk a lot of people missing out on a ticket if either side is in any sort of form. Adelaide have no issue filling the joint if they are in form, even Port fans have shown that ability.

I think the double headers will feature bigger Victorian clubs and maybe a Sydney or West Coast (bigger Non Vic clubs) and I believe they will have no issue filling the place both days. The goal from the AFL and SA Govt has to be to maximise crowds to make the event attractive and a success. I guess the aim would also be to fill the Thursday and Friday night empty seats with neutrals who have come in for the weekend. I would love to watch a SA team home game as a neutral. I also hope they allocate games based on the last seasons ladder, you play against a team in your bracket of 6, similar to how they do the fixture. I think the double headers need to go one after the other without a large break in-between the games for people who are planning to watch both.

Maybe something like this:

Thursday

7.20pm Port vs North - AO

Friday

7.50pm Adelaide vs GWS - AO

Saturday

12.10pm Melbourne vs Brisbane - Norwood

2.10pm Hawthorn vs Gold Coast - Barossa

4.45pm Carlton vs St Kilda - AO
7.40pm Richmond vs Bulldogs - AO

Sunday

1.10pm Fremantle vs Geelong - Norwood