Fixture Gather Round - SA announced as host for next 3 years 2024-2026

Remove this Banner Ad

GATHER ROUND SOUTH AUSTRALIA
AFL LOCKS IN SA FOR NEXT THREE SEASONS

The AFL in partnership with the SA Government is pleased to announce ‘Gather Round…. A Festival of Footy’ will be hosted in South Australia for the next three seasons.

The inaugural ‘Gather Round’ has been an overwhelming success, with all nine games sold out, more than 220,000 fans attending matches across the Adelaide Oval, Norwood Oval and Mount Barker in the Adelaide Hills and tens of thousands of fans attending the footy festival on the banks of Torrens.

More than 60,000 fans purchased tickets from interstate.

Across 2024, 2025 and 2026, Gather Round …. A festival of footy will be hosted exclusively in South Australia, with Adelaide Oval to be the central venue, with the intent from both the AFL and the SA Government to take regional matches in 2024 to the Barossa / McClaren Vale region.

As part of the three-year term, both the AFL and SA Government have also committed to establishing a community football legacy fund, that will benefit local footy clubs in the state beyond the weekend of matches.

The AFL will lock in the fixture dates of the round in the coming weeks to give fans as much lead time as possible to book travel and accommodation.

Ticketing information will be release later in the year.

“South Australia really turned it on. Gather Round and all the activity across the state, the nine matches, the footy festival and the community football engagement has been some of the best days and events the AFL has ever delivered,” AFL Chief Executive Gillon McLachlan said.

“It has been a success because everyone in football got behind the idea, clubs, players, corporate partners and most importantly our fans, to deliver an extraordinary few days,

“While the concept has real momentum, and we plan on taking it to other states around the country, we also feel in order for it to be as successful in the other states we need to continue to build out the concept in South Australia,

“The reality is we only had a few months to pull this together, and we hope by locking it in now we are giving everyone a longer runway to put together a bigger and even better event, and our fans certainty around booking travel and accommodation.

“The match at Mount Barker was a special afternoon on Saturday and an important part of recommitting to South Australia was to establish the community legacy fund, ensuring local footy clubs’ benefit from bringing the Gather Round to town.”

During the round the AFL has facilitated dozens of community club and school visits, held seminars for community club volunteers and delivered more than 10,000 footballs to regional community clubs.

Details on the Community legacy fund will be communicated at a later date.

“On behalf of the AFL I want to thank to Premier Malinauskas and his team in the SA Government who in partnership, delivered an unbelievable few days for footy and the state of South Australia.”

The AFL will also work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players.

“The players have been strong partners in the Gather Round concept and have embraced wholeheartedly the round. We will now work with the AFLPA on the commitments to the players in the coming years.”

SA Premier Peter Malinauskas said “The inaugural Gather Round has been a stunning success, in no small part thanks to the willingness of South Australians, and our interstate visitors, to show up.
“We know that this has delivered huge benefits for our state, and that is why I’m so pleased to see it return for the next three years.”

“With more time to plan, we know we can make Gather Round even bigger and better than what it has already become.”

“I want to thank Gillon McLachlan, the AFL, wider footballing community, public servants, councils and others who’ve all worked so hard to deliver such an amazing event in just a few months.”

“But most of all, I want to thank each and every person who showed up.”

“This agreement is because of you.”

-ends-

Last edited by a moderator:
Who said it was good ?
You suggested it was a possible fixture.
I guess anything is possible, but that fixture is not very good for ratings. I get there are a lot of permutations to work through to make the whole season work.
Surely both Adelaide teams get:

Collingwood vs Crows and Richmond vs Port , followed by Carlton vs Crows, and Geelong vs Port, but then again other games need to be taken into consideration. No doubt, they'll be optimizing the best possible rating for the weekend.

You suggested it was a possible fixture.
I guess anything is possible, but that fixture is not very good for ratings. I get there are a lot of permutations to work through to make the whole season work.
Surely both Adelaide teams get:

Collingwood vs Crows and Richmond vs Port , followed by Carlton vs Crows, and Geelong vs Port, but then again other games need to be taken into consideration. No doubt, they'll be optimizing the best possible rating for the weekend.

I'm sure the AFL will have $ in their eyes and ratings as you mention. But that fixture I put up I feel is good for attending. You'd want a sell out for all 4 days at the Adelaide oval. Putting the Big Vics against the SA teams that will sell it out regardless i feel will be wasted chance. Richmond and Collingwood on the Saturday should be big for the crowds and neutrals at the ground. Sunday up in the air.

I feel matchday at the grounds should always outweigh tv. But the world we live in doesn't support that.

Richmond and Collingwood on a Sat nght could work, but that could counter a possible 2x match ups that they could possibly have throughout the year.
They've probably got a simulation of all possible outcomes to get highest ratings.

What we do know is it won't be a Showdown this round. Any guesses who Adelaide and Port Adelaide will face?

Has this been confirmed?
The only thing that’s been 100% confirmed is that Adelaide will be playing on the Friday Night, whereas Port Adelaide will be playing on the Saturday Night :padlock:

Take that what you will, with those round match-ups :thumbsu:

The only thing that’s been 100% confirmed is that Adelaide will be playing on the Friday Night, whereas Port Adelaide will be playing on the Saturday Night :padlock:

Take that what you will, with those round match-ups :thumbsu:
Where has that been confirmed? It would make more sense to have the big Vic clubs playing Sat night as it makes it easier for travelling fans to get there and get home. SA clubs opening and closing the weekend.

Where has that been confirmed? It would make more sense to have the big Vic clubs playing Sat night as it makes it easier for travelling fans to get there and get home. SA clubs opening and closing the weekend.
It was on the Channel 7 night news segment over here in Adelaide when it first got rumoured to be hosted here, wish I now got a screenshot of it but hopefully their news outlet is correct :thumbsu:

Not saying your not making sense though, that would work much more feasible then what has been confirmed.

It was on the Channel 7 night news segment over here in Adelaide when it first got rumoured to be hosted here, wish I now got a screenshot of it but hopefully their news outlet is correct :thumbsu:

Not saying your not making sense though, that would work much more feasible then what has been confirmed.
Magic Round is all about tourism. So the Crows and Power supporters are the lowest priority for fixturing (GC & GWS aside) as most of those fans are already there and will generate the least tourism income. These are not Crows or Port home games. Most of the games will be double headers. So you would be silly to match either SA club against a big club as then there would be no tickets left for fans of the game before/after. E.g. playing GC/GWS v Crows/Port is a way to have the two lowest drawing clubs play in front of a crowd and keeping the bigger clubs available for double headers that don’t include SA clubs.

Fri double header inc Crows AO
Sat arvo Double header Barossa
Sat night double header big Vic clubs AO
Sun double header inc Port AO + one game elsewhere or triple header @ AO with Port game in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kochie doesn’t get Magic Round. A Pies fan is much more likely to travel to SA for a game against a Vic club. There is neither special, unusual or different about Port v Pies @ AO. It happens most years.
I'm not sure this makes any more sense either. Two Victorian fans can see their teams play each other once, maybe twice, every year. Yes there's novelty value of it being in SA, but is that alone enough to draw people over?

I reckon there needs to be a combination of decent games to draw people over, to add to both the novelty factor and the "all your mates can see their team in one weekend" factor. And particularly, at least someone half decent for Port and Crows to play - it's why I can't get behind people that are adamant that the SA teams will play GWS / GC rather than "waste" a big crowd. I get the thinking but a game like that isn't drawing attention of interstate (ie not South Australian) fans.

Victorian fans might not have experienced this sort of thing but I would say those from SA, WA, etc would've - the appeal of a footy weekend is having at least a few decent games. A Vic team vs GWS doesn't really appeal when I go to Melbourne, so a Port v GWS won't in Adelaide.

I think both the SA teams will play reasonably medium level names that should be decent match ups for neutrals, with the idea being that the chance to see games the SA teams playing at Adelaide Oval with a decent atmosphere (something you wouldn't really get with GWS / GC) being one of the pulls to get people over.

I'm not sure this makes any more sense either. Two Victorian fans can see their teams play each other once, maybe twice, every year. Yes there's novelty value of it being in SA, but is that alone enough to draw people over?

I reckon there needs to be a combination of decent games to draw people over, to add to both the novelty factor and the "all your mates can see their team in one weekend" factor. And particularly, at least someone half decent for Port and Crows to play - it's why I can't get behind people that are adamant that the SA teams will play GWS / GC rather than "waste" a big crowd. I get the thinking but a game like that isn't drawing attention of interstate (ie not South Australian) fans.

Victorian fans might not have experienced this sort of thing but I would say those from SA, WA, etc would've - the appeal of a footy weekend is having at least a few decent games. A Vic team vs GWS doesn't really appeal when I go to Melbourne, so a Port v GWS won't in Adelaide.

I think both the SA teams will play reasonably medium level names that should be decent match ups for neutrals, with the idea being that the chance to see games the SA teams playing at Adelaide Oval with a decent atmosphere (something you wouldn't really get with GWS / GC) being one of the pulls to get people over.
For it to be a success, supporters of different clubs in Melbourne can head over together. The AO game will be double headers and if you have Pies v Port there whoops be no tickets available for fans of the other teams playing that day/night.

For example, I have been to see the Hawks play interstate matbe 10 times (some with family, some with Haws mates). I have no plans to see the Hawks play the Crows or Port in SA again. But, if the Hawks were Playing a team that my mates follow, we are already taking about a road trip/boys weekend. This is what works for the NRL.

For it to be a success, supporters of different clubs in Melbourne can head over together. The AO game will be double headers and if you have Pies v Port there whoops be no tickets available for fans of the other teams playing that day/night.

For example, I have been to see the Hawks play interstate matbe 10 times (some with family, some with Haws mates). I have no plans to see the Hawks play the Crows or Port in SA again. But, if the Hawks were Playing a team that my mates follow, we are already taking about a road trip/boys weekend. This is what works for the NRL.
But unless you have a large group of mates where everyone follows a different team, especially if you're from Melbourne, you can probably already find a weekend where you can watch all your teams play. No there won't be the novelty value of doing it interstate, which clearly appeals to you and that's good, but that can't be the only selling point because to many it wouldn't be a selling point at all.

I don't think either the SA teams will be playing in the double headers anyway - they seem perfect for the presumably standalone Thursday and Friday night games as it will be easier for locals to get there to them - you'll have some interstate fans coming over early enough but you wouldn't want to rely on 90% of them getting there in time. I agree you won't necessarily get your big Collingwood, Richmond types in those games, but I reckon you'll get medium drawers. Bulldogs, Melbourne, those sorts. I reckon the prospect of these games would draw a few people over that weren't sure to begin with - ie you can see your club play sure, but you can also see what the atmosphere at a Port "home" game is like. That would appeal to some.

Ultimately, Some will come over just for your reason. Some will come over for my reason. Some will just come over for the novelty value. At the end of the day to be the best tourism driver you probably want this thing ticking multiple boxes so that you get people who are interested for different reasons coming over.

We are over analysing this fixture and the AFL will do what it wants in the end anyway.

So much for Adelaide playing a low drawing team

Form what I’ve heard

It will be

Adelaide v Carlton Thursday night
Brisbane v North Saturday
Power v Dogs Sat night

Banking on a sell out first night. Hopefully Carlton members get decent access.
They don't have to "sell" it out. Free access to members would appear to make it tough for travelling Carlton supporters.

Any idea how ticketing is going to work?

They don't have to "sell" it out. Free access to members would appear to make it tough for travelling Carlton supporters.

Any idea how ticketing is going to work?
I expect the stand alone matches will work the same as any final. Carlton will br given access before Adelaide snap up the rest.

Banking on a sell out first night. Hopefully Carlton members get decent access.

This is an issue for mine.
Free entry is all well and good but will you still need to reserve a seat even if it is at no cost? (as per the rules when Covid was in play)
I can book flights and accom now and prob get a reasonable deal on both but without the guarantee of a seat at the game I am very reluctant to do so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back