Magic: The Gathering

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, never really thought about it until tonight, that some people on Bigfooty might play MTG.

Footy and MTG are my two passions and have been since I was a teenager.
Is there anyone who plays on here?
When did you start?
Do you play competitively or casually?

Cheers,
BPB.

Wise Guy Sam

Premium Platinum
Dec 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Galactic Empire
I played many many times when I was a teenager. However I lost the bug as we all moved on. I still have my cards but they are old now. 20 or so years old.

They probably aren't even worth much. Can you please mail them to me....

Seriously, go through them and search the names on eBay for values. I had a very small collection from years ago and one of them was a mint $200 card. Some cards are worth thousands.

Hey guys, never really thought about it until tonight, that some people on Bigfooty might play MTG.

Footy and MTG are my two passions and have been since I was a teenager.
Is there anyone who plays on here?
When did you start?
Do you play competitively or casually?

Cheers,
BPB.

I dabble in mtg. Nothing more serious than FNM or drunken drafts with mates.

They probably aren't even worth much. Can you please mail them to me....

Seriously, go through them and search the names on eBay for values. I had a very small collection from years ago and one of them was a mint $200 card. Some cards are worth thousands.

I dabble in mtg. Nothing more serious than FNM or drunken drafts with mates.
I doubt there is anything mint. We played just about every day I think.

Chief mint doesn't run this show, demand does. Some of the stuff from Alpha and Beta is worth heaps, purely because it's so hard to find. Nice to know some others have played it. It almost runs my life these days.

malph

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Jets
I was surprised at how long Magic has been around. But yeah, any game shop I've been in that has casual and competition play going on always has a strong MTG community. It feels like it just permeates the whole store.

On card games in general, I've been playing the Star Wars LCG for a while now, and more recently the Game of Thrones 2nd edition. It's been hard finding fellow players for Star Wars, but GoT has vibrant enough meta going. Not quite at Netrunner levels (which I've never gotten into), but expanding (I hope!).

Sep 23, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep, I played a fair bit in my youth and still dabble in casual games now. I think I began around Onslaught but it was only with the Kamigawa block that I became hooked. Ironically it seems to be one of the most criticised and reviled of the expansions, but I loved it. My girlfriend at the time was a massive otaku and loved Kamigawa (all the spirits/ninjas/foxes/etc were her thing), so I was playing Magic and getting tang at the same time, life could not have been sweeter my friend. I still play, mostly focusing on tribal/theme decks.

1. Ravnica
2. Kamigawa
3. Lorwyn
4. Mirrodin
5. Urza

Last edited:
I was surprised at how long Magic has been around. But yeah, any game shop I've been in that has casual and competition play going on always has a strong MTG community. It feels like it just permeates the whole store.

On card games in general, I've been playing the Star Wars LCG for a while now, and more recently the Game of Thrones 2nd edition. It's been hard finding fellow players for Star Wars, but GoT has vibrant enough meta going. Not quite at Netrunner levels (which I've never gotten into), but expanding (I hope!).
I read an article from one US shop owner - apparently they get allocated stock based on the size of their tournaments?

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Casual magic player here. Will usually play with mates while we have beers.
Just in the midst of expanding my collection, currently making a mono-white cat deck to go with my red/black vampires, red/green werewolves and mono-black demons. Massive money sinker though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive fan of this game.

Had a mate get me the Monsters v Heroes duel deck for xmas and have dropped about $700 on the collection since then. Just put in an order for another $140 worth of foils from Brute Force Games on ebay.

Lucky enough to have a photo printer at work so I make very good quality proxy cards for casual play and then just do a big order of foils for my collection and to trick out my EDH decks.

Currently playing -

Tromokratis - Tap down, freeze effects and win with commander damage.

Meren of Clan Nel Toth - There is a reason she is so popular. So many broken mechanics. Hornet Queen. Grave Titan. Spore Frog...

Malfegor - Pure chaos. Wheel of Fortune, Warp World, Scrambleverse etc. So much fun dropping a Heartless Hidetsugu and giving him lifelink.

Zur the Enchanter - This one is a competition deck. Its god damn brutal. Propaganda into Ghostly Prison into Copy Enchantment and you are paying (6) just to swing at me. Have my fave card in here - A judge foil promo copy of Geist of Saint Traft. Worth about $70 odd.

Still crack plenty of packs with my play group but most of the expensive modern/standard play cards ill flip for EDH foils.

Thoughts on Kaladesh so far? Im stunned they managed to introduce 2 huge mechanics (Energyand Vehicles) without totally breaking the game.

Love that there is a thread on this and will be updating from here on for sure.

New EDH deck assembled - Anya, Merciless Angel.

So I have about 100 legendary creatures in my folder and decided to have a friend pick one at random to build. Anya was yhe chosen one.

Anya, Merciless Angel
3RW
Legendary Creature - Angel
4/4
Flying

Anya gets +3/+3 for each opponent with less than half their starting life total.
If an opponent has less than half their starting life total Anya is indestructible.

A tricky commander to build around. Anya's ability wants to you attack everyone evenly and then finish the game in 1-2 turns. As players are knocked out of the game she gets progressivly weaker so a balance is needed.

I initially thought of a Voltron build - Get a bunch of equipment on Anya and kill people in a couple of swings but with her power level going up and down based on life totals its a risk.

Most would look to instants or sorceries to spread the damage and get Anya pumped before bringing her out but so many control decks out there I felt it left the deck too narrow.

Instead we are building a red/white enchantment deck. This is a deck nobody sees coming but it feels like it has some very good tricks that can shut out games.

Assembe the Legion, Rise of the Hobgoblins and Gleam of Battle let us spam out tokens and pump them quickly.

Iroas, God of Victory is a win condition in his perverse way and will make sure my tokens dont get chumped to death.

Gift of Immortality ensures I can keep bringing back my Sun Titan which will fetch my Auramancer who will bring back a bunch of my enchantments should they be wiped.

Throw in Adarkar Valkyrie, a couple of creatures with Myriad and a little red spell called Warstorm Surge and the top of my curve can wipe people out quickly.

Failing this I can use Open the Armory or Enlightened Tutor to find my Worldslayer, equip it to Anya and wipe the board forever.

Will be playing this deck for the next few months. Looking forward to reporting the results.

Played a fee games with the new deck.

Beat face on an Atarka, World Render dragon deck 2-1. He got me with some suprise commander damage through a Xenagos God card and I wasnt able to do anything.

The other two games I got my army rolling early and he was too far behind to risk leaving hiself open to attacks.

We then played a 4 seater with a Kalemne deck and a Daxos the returned deck. The Daxos player is a known spike and this was no different. His board state was bonkers with spirits everywhere and enchantments buffing them.

Lucky they didnt have trample so my 1/1 soldierswere enough to keep blocking.

The Kalemne player bashed the Atarka deck down to 1hp before the Atarka killed him with Commander damage. Then the Daxos deck drained us all for 1 and we were heads up.

I hung on for about 40 minutes hoping to get a board wipe but eventually I just ran out of troops. Frustrating as the life totals were 32 a piece at the heads up and I had him down to 19 before he hit me.

With Anya on the field and indestructible I was looking good but I just never drew that board wipe. Only playing 2 but I might need more. I can rebuild quicker than most decks can handle.

Finally I played the spikes Ezuri deck 1 v 1 and beat him in straight sets. Again the token were just too fast for his deck to handle. As soon as he cleared the board I would drop something else and stack it back up.

Overall it was a better than expected result. People didnt fear the swarm because there was always a "bigger threat" on the field to deal with.

Anya was pretty useless as a commander though. Her ability is just too late game for what Boros wants to do. I think I will swap her out for Iroas, God of Victory or Aurelia the Warleader and report back.

Overall it was a 7/10 performance. Some suprising stars, Hero of Bladehold in perticular, but the commander herself is just too narrow of an ability to take advantage of in anything even semi competitive I think.

Sep 23, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Anybody dabbled in the new Kaladehs vehicle mechanics and built a deck around it yet? I think it's an interesting concept, not a lot of pilots/vehicles to choose from yet though - perhaps someone has combined some older cards into a deck with them and made it work?

Nov 3, 2006
Here
AFL Club
Carlton
Anybody dabbled in the new Kaladehs vehicle mechanics and built a deck around it yet? I think it's an interesting concept, not a lot of pilots/vehicles to choose from yet though - perhaps someone has combined some older cards into a deck with them and made it work?
Haven't really looked into constructed much yet. Played a bunch of sealed and draft though, it's such a fun set. Just started KLD League at my local store, should be great fun.

I'm building a 5 colour Panharmonicon Deck for Game Day, should be a blast.

Sep 23, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Haven't really looked into constructed much yet. Played a bunch of sealed and draft though, it's such a fun set. Just started KLD League at my local store, should be great fun.

I'm building a 5 colour Panharmonicon Deck for Game Day, should be a blast.

Panharmonicon looks extremely interesting, I'm already ticking over on what decks to inject it into :eek: I must admit I haven't done a draft in ages, I tend to invest my (limited) MtG budget into casual decks, I'm keenly observing Standard builds for ideas. I'm loving that KLD has revisited Dwarves and given us tools for a stronger tribe with them. I made a rather inane Dwarf deck ages ago, but Depala and Aviary Mechanic have made their way into it, they chain well with Dwarven Bloodboiler and Recruiter.

Nov 3, 2006
Here
AFL Club
Carlton
  • 1x Arborback Stomper
  • 1x Cataclysmic Gearhulk
  • 1x Cloudblazer
  • 1x Combustible Gearhulk
  • 4x Filigree Familiar
  • 4x Glint-Nest Crane
  • 1x Greenwarden of Murasa
  • 2x Noxious Gearhulk
  • 1x Pilgrim's Eye
  • 3x Reflector Mage
  • 4x Servant of the Conduit
  • 1x Verdurous Gearhulk
  • 4x Panharmonicon
  • 4x Prophetic Prism
  • 2x Eerie Interlude
  • 2x Bring to Light
  • 4x Aether Hub
    2x Botanical Sanctum
  • 4x Evolving Wilds
  • 1x Forest
  • 1x Hissing Quagmire
  • 3x Holdout Settlement
  • 1x Island
  • 2x Lumbering Falls
  • 1x Mountain
  • 1x Needle Spires
  • 1x Plains
  • 1x Shambling Vent
  • 1x Swamp
  • 1x Wandering Fumarole
This is the deck i'm running for game day. If nothing, it'll be a super fun deck to play. Might struggle a bit against aggro, but once it starts to combo off it's hard to stop.

So the 2016 Commander decks are pretty bonkers.

The amount of legendary reprints is huge, Ash Barren is a staple land in every deck ever, the commander I thought was the worst - Breya - has probably the best deck and the commander I wanted the most - Yidris - probably the worst overall.

Im tempted to drop the full 160 and just get a set for myself haha

Picked up the full set of Commander 2016 for 162.50. Massive props to Cardtastic in Clayton for honoring their pre order prices with the upping in value of the Breed Lethality deck.

My play group all put in and we randomly handedout the five decks with your truly nabbing Entropic Uprising, the non white deck led by Yidris, Maelstrom Weilder.

Ive always wanted to build a Maelstrom Wanderer deck so this is perfectly fine by me. I can get a Wanderer to put in the deck.

There has been alot of hype for this product and its been awesome so far. Going to get a full days play in next week and will report back.

Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Just started playing commander on the weekend, bought the new Group hug deck, played one on one against the Entropic Uprising deck, did reasonably well seeing as neither of us had played the format before it was probably easier. We both had a cracking time playing it though and are going to convince a few mates to get into it as well.

I was thinking of building a more control based deck, had a look around and like the Sen Triplets card for a new commander, anyone built control/pillow fort commander decks before? Got any advice for someone new to format?

Pillow fort is really fun and you can scale it to your play group. One thing you learn pretty quick, if you build a deck that stomps people out of the game every time you play then people will stop playing.

If you want to go full on control then it is hard to go past Zur the Enchanter IMO. I have a competition deck that plays Windborn Muse, Propaganda, Ghostly Prison, Sphere of Safety and Copy Enchantment.

If you have all 5 on the field it costs your opponent 14 mana PER creature to attack you. There are other spells in that deck that then stop people playing more than one spell per turn, stop people playing anything at instant speed, force everything your opponents control to come in tapped... It brutal and basically means you are the only one playing Magic.

Sen Triplets can certainly be a pillow fort but is more often used for control. Being able to dictate the pace of the game and speed up/slow down based on your position is great.

A more common pillow fort is Zedruu the Great Hearted who comes in that deck. There are some great combo pieces and win conditions that can be built into a Zedruu deck.

The classic is Angus McKenzie but a copy of that card will set you back a fair stack of cash. Budget is always something to consider.

The best thing about Magic though, especially Commander/EDH, is that you can build whatever you like!

I have a mono blue Tromokratis deck that is based on control the board and winning with commander damage. Including sleeves and the deck box it's cost me less than $50 to put together.

My advice would be to play the deck you have bought for a few months and do some research about different commanders in that style. Then start brewing your own deck and test it out.

There is never really a 'wrong' answer in EDH!

Nov 3, 2006
Here
AFL Club
Carlton
Just started playing commander on the weekend, bought the new Group hug deck, played one on one against the Entropic Uprising deck, did reasonably well seeing as neither of us had played the format before it was probably easier. We both had a cracking time playing it though and are going to convince a few mates to get into it as well.

I was thinking of building a more control based deck, had a look around and like the Sen Triplets card for a new commander, anyone built control/pillow fort commander decks before? Got any advice for someone new to format?
You're an evil person if you even consider playing pillowfort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back