Magic: The Gathering

Remove this Banner Ad

Been playing it tuned up - gets ugly very quickly.

If it is anything like the plethora of Elves decks I have been playing against on Arena in historic, then I can definitely see that. That s**t gets out of hand way too quick at times.

Anyone managed to find an Australian alternative to CardKingdom / TCGPlayer etc?

Finally got round to doing a count of all my bulk and low-tiers. About 40k cards to get rid of, so could fulfill quite a few single orders.
Bumping an old post - MTGMintCard is generally the best one I've dealt with (not Australian, they're Hong Kong but the website is set up so you can view Aus prices, and customer service/experience generally been good). Not the greatest experience with CardKingdom in recent years. As for MTGMate, I see it recommended everywhere, but find they charge insanely high prices. Quite often it's literally cheaper to buy directly from Good Games or some other LGS

Turns out I am rich.
My best mate growing up was a bit um, troubled. We had a falling out, and he stole a couple of my decks when things went bad. At the time I was kinda like "whatever, dude's having a rough time, it's just a bunch of silly playing cards".

Don't even want to know how much that is worth now. I lost at least 8 double lands from it, possibly more.

Found a box of cards at the oppy the other day though, a couple of rares etc. but I don't know what they're worth. Maybe I'll be rich again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dual Lands are worth a mint now! That's unfortunate. :(
I figured they would be but was still shocked when I checked it out last night. Kicking myself for making some decks for my nephews about 5 years ago, they didn't even end up playing but the decks would be worth a packet. Really hope some other kid at school didn't catch on and take them to the cleaners.

Anyway, after spending until 4am last night looking up prices, I discovered I too am rich; but I'm guessing I need to join Facebook to sell them..? I can't be bothered w/ ebay and their fees etc.

I figured they would be but was still shocked when I checked it out last night. Kicking myself for making some decks for my nephews about 5 years ago, they didn't even end up playing but the decks would be worth a packet. Really hope some other kid at school didn't catch on and take them to the cleaners.

Anyway, after spending until 4am last night looking up prices, I discovered I too am rich; but I'm guessing I need to join Facebook to sell them..? I can't be bothered w/ ebay and their fees etc.
You actually have a list of what you have?

You actually have a list of what you have?
No, not yet. I still havent found all my cards, and the ones I do have Im not sure if anyone would want: I have some Arabian Nights, Legends, Antiquities and heaps of Dark stuff. The prices on CK/ebay are high but I don’t see people buying them on facebook.

Are there any cards or expansions you are after?

(Fun fact: pre-iceage, booster packs were made of a slightly transparent plastic, and the rare was always the third card from the bottom. So if u had access to the packs you could make sure you got the good s**t. Going through packs was how I spent my spare time at Mind Games. Pretty rude for the customers but whatever. It’s how I got all my preachers).

No, not yet. I still havent found all my cards, and the ones I do have Im not sure if anyone would want: I have some Arabian Nights, Legends, Antiquities and heaps of Dark stuff. The prices on CK/ebay are high but I don’t see people buying them on facebook.

Are there any cards or expansions you are after?

(Fun fact: pre-iceage, booster packs were made of a slightly transparent plastic, and the rare was always the third card from the bottom. So if u had access to the packs you could make sure you got the good sh*t. Going through packs was how I spent my spare time at Mind Games. Pretty rude for the customers but whatever. It’s how I got all my preachers).
People will buy on Facebook. Was just wondering what you had so i could recommend a group for you to use.

People will buy on Facebook. Was just wondering what you had so i could recommend a group for you to use.
Cheers man. I found two groups on facey, I’m looking forward to getting my list up there :)

two things

1. fu** Mill decks, how is that fun for anyone

2. on Arena, everyone will concede before you close out a game. i have won a ton of games coming back from 1 or 2 life but everyone else just leaves. worst is if i have come back from that low health in a game and they dip when things turn. infuriating
Scooping is fine online. Take the win and move on to the next game.
Played commander yesterday at the LGS and had two man babies scoop out of sheer spite.

Played for the first time on the weekend (yugioh was my game of choice when I was a teenager).

I bought a Elspeth Planes Walker deck just to learn. Still learning the dynamics/terms but it seemed very lacking in creature control.

Anyway I've now bought the following so hopefully they rock up soon so can see a whole bunch of other cards/how other decks play

1627316293328.png

Played for the first time on the weekend (yugioh was my game of choice when I was a teenager).

I bought a Elspeth Planes Walker deck just to learn. Still learning the dynamics/terms but it seemed very lacking in creature control.

Anyway I've now bought the following so hopefully they rock up soon so can see a whole bunch of other cards/how other decks play

View attachment 1188262
jump on area - free to play - you will learn pretty quick. then play the cards when you can

White is not a control deck. Mono-white, red, and green are aggro decks so they tend to be creature heavy rather than having control elements. Saying that, red is the most control heavy of those 3 colours as they have access to burn spells. If you want some creature control you need to play black as they have cards that let you kill or exile creatures and also let you board wipe. Black and blue are the main control colours.

I also recommend playing Arena. It can take a bit of time to get into since you need to build up your card collection (can be circumvented somewhat by paying money), but once you are able to build a decent deck, it can be a good time. It also allows you to play different colours and colour combinations to see what type of player you are and what colours you enjoy playing. Myself, I like control decks (Grixis (red, blue, black) in particular) as I am more interested in controlling the board and frustrating my opponent. Others like aggro decks as the can win games quickly. What deck you play also comes down to what is viable in each meta. Each type of colour and colour combination have their positives and negatives and Arena is the best way for you to find out.

This is a good page to read up on the colours, the different combinations and their names, as well as the mechanics of each colour.

View attachment 1188262
Better off buying a Commander deck mate.

jump on area - free to play - you will learn pretty quick. then play the cards when you can
Getting a new phone but yep had looked at this and will be jumping on.

White is not a control deck. Mono-white, red, and green are aggro decks so they tend to be creature heavy rather than having control elements. Saying that, red is the most control heavy of those 3 colours as they have access to burn spells. If you want some creature control you need to play black as they have cards that let you kill or exile creatures and also let you board wipe. Black and blue are the main control colours.

I also recommend playing Arena. It can take a bit of time to get into since you need to build up your card collection (can be circumvented somewhat by paying money), but once you are able to build a decent deck, it can be a good time. It also allows you to play different colours and colour combinations to see what type of player you are and what colours you enjoy playing. Myself, I like control decks (Grixis (red, blue, black) in particular) as I am more interested in controlling the board and frustrating my opponent. Others like aggro decks as the can win games quickly. What deck you play also comes down to what is viable in each meta. Each type of colour and colour combination have their positives and negatives and Arena is the best way for you to find out.

This is a good page to read up on the colours, the different combinations and their names, as well as the mechanics of each colour.

Thanks mate, lots of good advice. I didn't know much about the difference in colour strategies but it makes more sense now with what my cards could do.
I enjoy controlling the card advantage when I play so think black will be worth a try. Always enjoyed swarming/being aggro in Yugioh so I think the red deck I'm getting will be a good trial.

Once again, I'll try Arena soon.

Better off buying a Commander deck mate.
Whats the difference of that to say the Planes walker deck?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back