Magic: The Gathering

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting a new phone but yep had looked at this and will be jumping on.

Play on PC or laptop. I haven't played it on the phone but you really need a decent size screen to play properly.

Thanks mate, lots of good advice. I didn't know much about the difference in colour strategies but it makes more sense now with what my cards could do.
I enjoy controlling the card advantage when I play so think black will be worth a try. Always enjoyed swarming/being aggro in Yugioh so I think the red deck I'm getting will be a good trial.

Once again, I'll try Arena soon.

You can always try playing Rakdos (red/black) which gives you the best of both worlds although it tends to be more control than aggro. Rakdos also happens to be decent in the current meta.

If you do play arena, I suggest buying the beginners bundle (I think it is around about $5-$10) which comes with some gems and packs (IIRC) and then to build up your wildcard collection, pre-order the 50 pack bundle for each new set (if you can afford it). Spending money on physical items can net you codes to redeem on Arena as well. Attending the in-store pre-release gets you a code for Arena.

Whats the difference of that to say the Planes walker deck?

The difference between a Planeswalker Deck and Commander Deck is that Commander is made for the Commander format which is one of the most popular formats to play. Whereas traditional magic is made for 1v1, Commander typically has 4 players at a time. Some cards are made solely with Commander in mind which is what you typically find in Commander decks. That is why the decks, from what I have seen, are better constructed and synergise a lot better than the Planeswalker decks.

If you want to see the format in action, I suggest The Command Zone on YouTube and their Game Knights episodes. They are a channel devoted strictly to Commander. This is their latest episode:

Another channel I recommend checking out is CovertGoBlue. He is the best Magic Arena streamer (IMO) and at the start of each video he goes over the deck and why he chose certain cards instead of others. It is a great way to learn how to build a deck.

Last but not least, for information on the Planeswalker Decks, Commander Decks, and all those different bundles, your go to should be the Professor at Tolarian Community College.

Whats the difference of that to say the Planes walker deck?
The planes walker decks are s**t most of the standard decks rotate out of legality this September and you cant use the modern horizon cards you bought in standard.
If you buy a commander precon deck at least everything you bought will be useful going forward.

Play on PC or laptop. I haven't played it on the phone but you really need a decent size screen to play properly.
I assumed it was a mobile only thing. Got it on my PC now and just did the tutorial.

You can always try playing Rakdos (red/black) which gives you the best of both worlds although it tends to be more control than aggro. Rakdos also happens to be decent in the current meta.

If you do play arena, I suggest buying the beginners bundle (I think it is around about $5-$10) which comes with some gems and packs (IIRC) and then to build up your wildcard collection, pre-order the 50 pack bundle for each new set (if you can afford it). Spending money on physical items can net you codes to redeem on Arena as well. Attending the in-store pre-release gets you a code for Arena.
Always a little wary about spending too much on the digital side as was trying to learn to play with some friends in person. 5-10 is nothing though so I'll grab that.

Arena lot more impressive than expected so can see this being a problem ha.

The difference between a Planeswalker Deck and Commander Deck is that Commander is made for the Commander format which is one of the most popular formats to play. Whereas traditional magic is made for 1v1, Commander typically has 4 players at a time. Some cards are made solely with Commander in mind which is what you typically find in Commander decks. That is why the decks, from what I have seen, are better constructed and synergise a lot better than the Planeswalker decks.

If you want to see the format in action, I suggest The Command Zone on YouTube and their Game Knights episodes. They are a channel devoted strictly to Commander. This is their latest episode:

Another channel I recommend checking out is CovertGoBlue. He is the best Magic Arena streamer (IMO) and at the start of each video he goes over the deck and why he chose certain cards instead of others. It is a great way to learn how to build a deck.

Last but not least, for information on the Planeswalker Decks, Commander Decks, and all those different bundles, your go to should be the Professor at Tolarian Community College.

See I didn't even know there was different formats. Just assumed it was all 1v1. I'll give the videos a watch, I'd so far found some random magic channel because the guy reviewed my original deck which gave me some insight.

The planes walker decks are sh*t most of the standard decks rotate out of legality this September and you cant use the modern horizon cards you bought in standard.
If you buy a commander precon deck at least everything you bought will be useful going forward.
Alright I'll have a look at the commander deck. I just bought the modern horizon cards as it was one of the newer things. Worst case can use them out of standard/helps me learn/collectors item.

I assumed it was a mobile only thing. Got it on my PC now and just did the tutorial.

Always a little wary about spending too much on the digital side as was trying to learn to play with some friends in person. 5-10 is nothing though so I'll grab that.

Arena lot more impressive than expected so can see this being a problem ha.

See I didn't even know there was different formats. Just assumed it was all 1v1. I'll give the videos a watch, I'd so far found some random magic channel because the guy reviewed my original deck which gave me some insight.

Alright I'll have a look at the commander deck. I just bought the modern horizon cards as it was one of the newer things. Worst case can use them out of standard/helps me learn/collectors item.
Some very sweet cards in MH2 you can use in commander.
Played commander tonight at the local game store using a legend from MH2

Dunno about anyone else but I am so god damn sick of ******* Mono-Red Goblins. Loaded up Arena. First 3 games are mono-red goblins. 4th game is Selesnya Magecraft. Next 2 are mono-red goblins again. Proceed to shut down Arena. It has become this metas Dimir Rogues. Just before AFR released, I played 10 games on the ladder and 9 were Rogues. It is a ******* joke and makes me just not want to play.

Hurry up and release Innistrad.

Finally get a decent Werewolf commander, very excited about that. Going to be a cheap deck as well which is another bonus, won't be strong but should be able to one shot someone in the right circumstances.
Need a Jund werewolf commander.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cracked open a box of Jumpstart for giggles and found an entire pack with 4 clean cut, square corners. All 20 cards.

Anyone had experience with selling miscuts etc?

I know Jumpstart had some quality control issues due to COVID, but surely there can't be many whole packs with all 4 corners cut square.

Cracked open a box of Jumpstart for giggles and found an entire pack with 4 clean cut, square corners. All 20 cards.

Anyone had experience with selling miscuts etc?

I know Jumpstart had some quality control issues due to COVID, but surely there can't be many whole packs with all 4 corners cut square.
Got two boxes of it and had no issues.

As for selling miscuts - theres facebook groups.

Hey guys.
I was given all my brothers (and a few of mine) magic cards from my parents.
It's been a long time since I've looked at them, I'm pretty sure they are version 4 but could be some earlier ones.
What are the rare cards to look out for? 20220716_190130.jpg

Hey guys.
I was given all my brothers (and a few of mine) magic cards from my parents.
It's been a long time since I've looked at them, I'm pretty sure they are version 4 but could be some earlier ones.
What are the rare cards to look out for?View attachment 1448620
Mana vault Land Tax and Sylvan Library are the top 3 from 4th edition

My friends and I handed our bundles around from kid to kid as they became interested.

Same with boxes of LEGO. No idea where they are now but the cards would date back to probably 1993.

I once bought an entire box of Legends boosters (I think - the one with the 5 or 6 dragons). Was fun having a job because I could afford the hobby. Most friends had to scrape together the cash to play.

I think I have played a couple of games in the last 25 years. Tempting to hunt down my sets and see what I have. Also going to check with friends to see what they have.

Dunno about anyone else but the spoilers for Brothers War are making me feel like this is going to be a meta to stay away from. There are so many cards that just look like they are going to be so ridiculously OP and unfortunately mono-black looks to be getting some of those cards. I guess it will be a wait and see how the meta settles but I might just stick with the historic play queue on Arena.

Dunno about anyone else but the spoilers for Brothers War are making me feel like this is going to be a meta to stay away from. There are so many cards that just look like they are going to be so ridiculously OP and unfortunately mono-black looks to be getting some of those cards. I guess it will be a wait and see how the meta settles but I might just stick with the historic play queue on Arena.
Looks like more of a Commander set to me so far.

Looks like more of a Commander set to me so far.

I've never played Commander so I'll have to take your word for it. But, from the gameplay that I have seen online, I can definitely see that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back