Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
I just got an email from the club that might make a fundamental change to how every Magpie supporter outside Victoria relates to the club.

It is a new pass. I'll print it here

Hi Mark,

As a Pies supporter living outside Victoria, we understand it can be hard to keep up with all of the on field action each week.

Introducing the new Digital Magpie Insider, a new membership package that allows you to keep up-to-date and live video stream every match!

The Digital Magpie Insider is just $99, or $8.25 per month on a 12 Month Payment Plan, and includes the following great benefits:

• AFL Live Pass subscription - live video stream of every match
  • 2014 Membership pack containing personalised card, lanyard, ticket wallet and bumper sticker
  • 2014 Member Cap and Scarf
  • Discount on all Superstore purchases (excluding sale items, including memorabilia)
  • Weekly post game ‘Bucks’ Brief’ email video report from senior coach Nathan Buckley (members with a registered email address only)
  • 2 editions of ‘In Black & White’ Digital Magazine
  • Magpie Rewards exclusive member benefits and savings program
Stay connected to the club and stand Side by Side with us, from wherever you are in Australia or New Zealand.

I lied..... I thought that games were live via landline broadband but it's only through mobile broadband. Foxtel monopoly remains...

sorry... I'll stick my head back in..

In summation we now offer a zero game membership to interstate supporters.

What will they think of next? Memberships for imaginary friends perhaps. What a joke to label that a membership package!
I think it's quite clever actually with everything going digital it makes sense to have such an offering.

In summation we now offer a zero game membership to interstate supporters.

What will they think of next? Memberships for imaginary friends perhaps. What a joke to label that a membership package!

Actually, they already had a zero game membership in WA. You could pay for a membership without a ticket to the game when the Pies came over, unless you wanted to fly to the MCG for a game.

Can anyone answer this question. I would be very appreciative.

If you are a Bigpond broadband customer on a fixed line broadband contract, and you have an android tablet at home....and you download the App for the AFL Live Pass..... can you watch games live on the tablet using the wifi connection?

I ask this because it seems that telstra appears to be able to provide AFL live using a mobile broadband connection, but I'm not sure whether the App will work using Bigpond's fixed broadband.

If you are a Bigpond broadband customer on a fixed line broadband contract, and you have an android tablet at home....and you download the App for the AFL Live Pass..... can you watch games live on the tablet using the wifi connection?

I ask this because it seems that telstra appears to be able to provide AFL live using a mobile broadband connection, but I'm not sure whether the App will work using Bigpond's fixed broadband.
I don't believe so. I think it only works if you're on your mobile network, and you get to watch if data-free if you use Telstra.

I was of the understanding you could, so long as the platform streaming is tablet and/or phone. How you obtain that data - via roaming, home wifi or public wifi-hotspot, doesn't/shouldn't matter.
You just can't stream via PC within Australia - unless you have a VPN and buy the game pass/annual pass as an 'overseas customer' (which is what I do for all non-televised Coll games in SA) - works out cheaper than Foxtel.

I signed up to the 1 month trial and am doing exactly that with Bigpond cable through wifi on a tablet.

I was of the understanding you could, so long as the platform streaming is tablet and/or phone. How you obtain that data - via roaming, home wifi or public wifi-hotspot, doesn't/shouldn't matter.
You just can't stream via PC within Australia - unless you have a VPN and buy the game pass/annual pass as an 'overseas customer' (which is what I do for all non-televised Coll games in SA) - works out cheaper than Foxtel.

I signed up to the 1 month trial and am doing exactly that with Bigpond cable through wifi on a tablet.

Thanks for your replies. I've been searching the FAQs and they support what you're saying. I just found out that a telstra customer gets the first month free and that offer is current until the first of September - for anyone out there who is interested.

I must admit that the club's subscription only lasts until 1st October, while the Telstra one lasts for 12 months. Of course you dont get the Pies membership stuff with Telstra.

I pay $150 a year for the same AFL live overseas (except i can stream it in on my laptop through the afltv site). Very creative marketing strategy by the club.

is it a 10 inch tablet? how is the definition? does it look good? My tablet has a hdmi output but it seems that the subscription is limited to the tablet. Have you tried putting it on a big screen?

I pay $150 a year for the same AFL live overseas (except i can stream it in on my laptop through the afltv site). Very creative marketing strategy by the club.

Actually, I thought it was a bigger thing than it actually was. It seems that Telstra offers a club subscription to all the AFL clubs. I do think that it might be a big earner for the club over time as we get more supporters overseas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is it a 10 inch tablet? how is the definition? does it look good? My tablet has a hdmi output but it seems that the subscription is limited to the tablet. Have you tried putting it on a big screen?
Yeah on a 10inch.
It's okay, it's still somewhat pixelated. I mean it's more than watchable but it's not the greatest quality.
Haven't tried to put it on the tv.
It's worth it for the free month though! :)

Yes you can. I have had the AFL live subsciption for 2 years now. Streamed to my iphone, i have an apple TV so i can stream the live games to my TV using my wifi connection (which uis bigpond and hence also remains un metered.)

Yeah on a 10inch.
It's okay, it's still somewhat pixelated. I mean it's more than watchable but it's not the greatest quality.
Haven't tried to put it on the tv.
It's worth it for the free month though! :)

Ive put it on a 55" TV. Definately watchable as long as it doesnt start buffering.

Thanks to all for the info. Greatly appreciated. I'm going with the free month from Telstra to check out those pixels that RuFiO refers to.

I have subscribed this year to AFL live Pass. It was around $90 for all games live. I'm a bigpond broadband customer via a fixed line for home phone and internet. I watch the games via the App on my iPad with our Wi-Fi connection.

Pretty good quality but pixelates for time to time. Now that he Suns are up here, not as may Pie games are on TV as Suns & Lions games take priority.

This ensures I dont miss a game.

Happy Days. Wife not so happy.

I have subscribed this year to AFL live Pass. It was around $90 for all games live. I'm a bigpond broadband customer via a fixed line for home phone and internet. I watch the games via the App on my iPad with our Wi-Fi connection.

Pretty good quality but pixelates for time to time. Now that he Suns are up here, not as may Pie games are on TV as Suns & Lions games take priority.

This ensures I dont miss a game.

Happy Days. Wife not so happy.

Thanks for that. Yours is exactly my situation....except for the unhappy wife

I think that you could watch it through the tablet as the app would be suitable for both android and apple.

I think it's quite clever actually with everything going digital it makes sense to have such an offering.

I think it's great that the club are looking to involve interstate pies fans, but I don't believe a package that doesn't provide access to match day attendance should be labelled a membership.

I think it's great that the club are looking to involve interstate pies fans, but I don't believe a package that doesn't provide access to match day attendance should be labelled a membership.
We live in a digital world where boundaries are no longer confined to the stadium walls... Why should only the AFL & foxtel benefit from this?

I'm sorry but this is 100% wrong IMO.

It's about time we introduced something like this for every team.

It doesn't count towards any membership bragging ladder or anything else, but if makes any one who buys this package, as a fan feel like more part of the club that they support even though they probably won't get to a game all year.

Great idea from Collingwood, it is a membership, it's just not a gameday membership.

We live in a digital world where boundaries are no longer confined to the stadium walls... Why should only the AFL & foxtel benefit from this?

I don't care about that I just don't like that it's packaged as a membership.

The clubs use membership figures to attract increased sponsor dollars. If we're going to go down this path let's get a $10 donation from everyone that watches our matches on FTA television give them a bumper sticker and call them a member.

There's a line with membership and as soon as it becomes non-attendance it becomes a donation or sponsorship not a membership.

I'm sorry but this is 100% wrong IMO.

It's about time we introduced something like this for every team.

It doesn't count towards any membership bragging ladder or anything else, but if makes any one who buys this package, as a fan feel like more part of the club that they support even though they probably won't get to a game all year.

Great idea from Collingwood, it is a membership, it's just not a gameday membership.

You don't need to apologize Matty it doesn't make aspects of your opinion any less inaccurate in my eyes :thumbsu:

Just the same as I'm sure I can't persuade you that my opinion is correct.

At the end of the day the discussion surrounds what is and isn't a membership. For mine this isn't one, for others it is, there's no right or wrong to this one as long as the club is doing something!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back