News Magpies AFLW/VFLW News.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most notably, he wants his team to become aggressive both with and without the ball: a physical, high-pressure unit that plays free-flowing, up-tempo football.

"We started to see elements of both of those things in the VFL and we're building on that now and it's really exciting," he said.

It's a style that requires greater running power and, to that end, Symonds was pleased that, in comparison to previous years, his players returned to training "in really good shape ahead of time".

The Pies also plan to unleash their huge additions, Davey and Molloy, in the midfield to address their contested ball issues. Molloy, who starred in 2017 at half-back, will also spend time in attack.

"We want to be as flexible as we can but we envision Chloe playing midfield/forward, and it gives us great flexibility with (reigning club champion) Jaimee Lambert able to do the same thing," Symonds said.

How do you stop people from attending vic park?

They fairly extensively fence the venue for AFLW matches, so I assume that will be extended around the whole perimeter. I doubt they can close all external vantage points though. Olympic Park with the banking would be even harder.

How do you stop people from attending vic park?

Temporary fencing and security guards. It won’t be watertight but fans aren’t so numerous as to try and ‘break’ in. Also easy to eject if you do manage to get in.

Yeah funny that. You have to give it time, not every team is gonna de dominant when they enter the comp.

Richmond went out and poached big stars from other teams. Eagles raided Fremantle's list yet need assistance? All the whole, the two other expansions in Suns and Saints, they both just developed from state leagues. Just shows there is ways to go about it. Develop players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE AFL wishes to advise the commencement dates for the pre-season and premiership season of the NAB AFL Women's Competition.

Pre-season will commence with a two-week induction period starting Wednesday November 4, 2020 while the 2021 NAB AFL Women's Competition is set for the week commencing February 1, 2021.

Meanwhile, the AFL Women's Sign and Trade Period is scheduled to commence on Monday August 3, 2020.

During this period, clubs will be permitted to sign up to 27 players, including rookie players. Rookie players in the AFL Women's Competition are those that have not been listed with any Australian football team for the past three years.

Clubs have been informed they are not permitted to enter into any contracts or make any commitments to players until the commencement of the Sign and Trade Period.

Assumedly it would still be a proper length VFLW comp and not just a couple of months? If so, it’s something that was going to happen sooner or later. A proper reserves comp instead of one that is arguably similar quality to the AFLW.

Although it still a while away it’s also probably the start of a shift towards a longer AFLW season spread much deeper into winter.

In terms of alignments though that’s difficult as I can’t see there being enough clubs. I can’t see the former VWFL / VFLW sides returning. In terms of VFL sides Williamstown and Frankston (aligned) are already have VFLW sides. Port is the obvious addition as they already have a women’s side, but I can’t see many others having the cash.

Tigs the first casualty for the ‘21 season. They’ve withdrawn from the comp.

Gees, they've gone early.

I guess if the VFLW season is going to be moved to align more closely with AFLW then teams will obviously prioritise AFLW over VFLW. Gives players some certainty as well.

AFLW players are being canvassed about their openness to moving into a hub for at least part of next season as the AFL works through contingencies to ensure the 2021 campaign can be completed.

As the 2020 men's season draws to a close, the league has turned its attention to making sure the next women's campaign does not suffer the same fate as this year's competition which ended prematurely in March because of COVID-19.

The league has stressed that it fully intends for the 2021 AFLW season to proceed. The season is due to commence next February however the league has given a rider that plans are subject to change because of the ongoing challenges related to the coronavirus.

AFL women's chief Nicole Livingstone has met with club captains in recent weeks while the AFL Players Association has also held meetings with club delegates in which possibilities for 2021 have been discussed.

The AFLPA has also indicated to players that they will be sent surveys asking them for feedback around what next season could and should look like.

Women's football sources have confirmed that among the key issues being broached with players are whether they would be willing to head into a hub, how much notice they would need before doing so, how it would affect their day-to-day lives and whether they would prefer for the season to be delayed instead.
The prospect of female players entering hubs is arguably even more challenging than it has been for men as AFLW players remain semi-professional and therefore have more other commitments with things like study and work.
These potential obstacles have been handled by other female sporting leagues including Super Netball, which has conducted a hub in Queensland this year, and the Women's Big Bash League, which will be played entirely in Sydney.

The improving pandemic situation in Victoria, where eight of the 14 AFLW sides are located, has boosted the chances that the next women's season could proceed with relative normality. But there remain issues, including the sharing of club facilities between male and female players, which was barred by clubs in March as the situation escalated.
AFL football operations boss Steve Hocking told Triple M on Saturday that the women's season remained a priority for his organisation.

"We're really strongly focused on this year, and making sure we complete this season, have a showcase finals series in Queensland, and then before we race ahead to 2021 we need to consider the AFLW season … all the women are due to start their pre-season in November, so that's our next focus," Hocking said.
The AFL has already committed to retaining AFLW football department soft cap levels for 2021, and backed in plans for a nine-week home-and-away season plus three weeks of finals, which the AFLPA secured during at-times tense collective bargaining agreement negotiations last year.

Hawthorn, Essendon, Port Adelaide and Sydney remain the only four AFL clubs without AFLW sides, with the Hawks and Bombers reiterating their determination to get teams into the women's league in spite of COVID-19 cost-cutting.

I don't imagine this should be necessary especially by Feb. That's 5 months away and we're doing a lot better than we were a month ago. I know they have to take everything into consideration though. Plan for any senario.

I don't imagine this should be necessary especially by Feb. That's 5 months away and we're doing a lot better than we were a month ago. I know they have to take everything into consideration though. Plan for any senario.

They'll start training in November though and that aspect might well be impinged upon by Covid. It'll very much "watch this space", especially for the Victorian based teams.

I'd imagine that if there were to be AFLW hubs then the league would need to look at the player remuneration as many maintain jobs outside footy.

They'll start training in November though and that aspect might well be impinged upon by Covid. It'll very much "watch this space", especially for the Victorian based teams.

I'd imagine that if there were to be AFLW hubs then the league would need to look at the player remuneration as many maintain jobs outside footy.
Yeah.
I have hope by november, we'll be in that recovery step where training can resume in melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back