News Magpies AFLW/VFLW News.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well Davey and Bonnici will both miss the entire 7th AFLW season. Considering Davey was injured in January, and Bonnici in February, they basically miss 12 months of footy. Considering they will be back August 2023, it's a longtime from their last games in AFLW, so both should be back fit and very eager to play.....

Fit and eager to play is the plan! They could also play some VFLW next year, assuming both have recovered, before the start of the 2023 AFLW season.

Schleicher would be a great midfielder, because of her strength in one on one contested ball. In saying that, her drive off HB was one of our strengths, so we would need a decent replacement to fill that role. Maybe a Membrey could play that role....
I think butler and to a lesser extent allen will step up to Schleichers role.
If the experiment is a successs, with the return of bri, brit and Malloy playing in there as well I look forward to some real midfield dominance in the future. May not bare fruit this season , but it might in the next.

I think butler and to a lesser extent allen will step up to Schleichers role.
If the experiment is a successs, with the return of bri, brit and Malloy playing in there as well I look forward to some real midfield dominance in the future. May not bare fruit this season , but it might in the next.
Allen is way too outside to play this role IMO.
Her footskills are elite and we should be trying to use that as much as possible.

Moy into the middle playing the stringer / JDG role (take the bounce and move fwd). She did that last year and pretty much won it most times she went in there.
Think Aishling will really be step up in there this year.
She's super hard at it and never really played mid in her life apart from the last few games last year.

Not convinced Ruby can play this role. Her skill is reading the play in front of her, her wheels and her kicking.
Haven't seen anything to suggest she can stand up and dish it off like Bri (not many can TBH).

Also was interested to see the article noted Barber would play ruck. I thought we would want her forward.
so maybe a drifting role this year to get her ready for when Downy retires?

If you're ever going to experiment, this this season to try stuff....

Allen is way too outside to play this role IMO.
Her footskills are elite and we should be trying to use that as much as possible.

Moy into the middle playing the stringer / JDG role (take the bounce and move fwd). She did that last year and pretty much won it most times she went in there.
Think Aishling will really be step up in there this year.
She's super hard at it and never really played mid in her life apart from the last few games last year.

Not convinced Ruby can play this role. Her skill is reading the play in front of her, her wheels and her kicking.
Haven't seen anything to suggest she can stand up and dish it off like Bri (not many can TBH).

Also was interested to see the article noted Barber would play ruck. I thought we would want her forward.
so maybe a drifting role this year to get her ready for when Downy retires?

If you're ever going to experiment, this this season to try stuff....

Aishling is one of my favourites. I think she gets better each year, and am hoping this season she will explode. That’s my plan anyway.😄

Aishling is one of my favourites. I think she gets better each year, and am hoping this season she will explode. That’s my plan anyway.😄
Yeah me too. Each year she seems to be stronger and have a better understanding of what is happening.

Says a lot that they threw her into the middle last year.
Here's hoping she keeps going.

Clubs will also take part in match simulation the weekend prior, with round one to kick off on Thursday August 25.

Details around ticketing and streaming of practice matches are yet to be confirmed.

PRACTICE MATCH SCHEDULE

Friday 12th August

St Kilda v Brisbane at RSEA Park, 3:30pm AEST

Saturday, 13 August

Adelaide v North Melbourne at Norwood Oval, 10:00am ACST

Essendon v Port Adelaide at The Hangar, 11:00am AEST

Western Bulldogs v Greater Western Sydney at Whitten Oval, 11:30am AEST

Gold Coast v Geelong Cats at Austworld Centre Oval, 1:00pm AEST

Sydney v Collingwood at North Sydney Oval, 2:00pm AEST

Carlton v Melbourne at IKON Park, 3:15pm AEST

Fremantle v West Coast at Optus Stadium, 2:40pm AWST

Sunday, 14 August

Richmond v Hawthorn at Punt Road Oval, 11:00am AEST

AFLW is starting to get as stupid as the AFL with the fixture, 2 sides in each state now (of course except Melb) so why not play each other

I thought yep book flights for Melbourne around the time of the start of the season for my grand kids to see a game of AFL (born in Qld)

and we play in Sydney faaaaark!!!!!

Joining the program is former AFL player Sam Shaw who served three seasons as a backline coach with Richmond’s AFLW side while also serving as a head coach of Xavier College’s senior team.

Prior to his coaching journey, Shaw played 24 games for the Adelaide Crows across five seasons where he was a defender before his career was cut short due to injury.

Shaw will oversee the backline and will be supported by returning coach Michael Hartley who will serve as a development coach.

Jordan Roughead, Chris Gamble and Martha Cantwell have returned for season seven and will take on new roles in the upcoming season while Jason Brown will also return to the program to oversee the forward line.

Roughead, in his fourth season as a coach in Collingwood’s women’s program, will support head coach Steve Symonds as the senior assistant and midfield coach.

Assisting Roughead in the midfield is Collingwood Female Coaching Acceleration Program graduate Martha Cantwell who will serve as the midfield development coach.

Collingwood’s Coaching Acceleration Program aims to invest in upcoming female coaching talent and provide development and a pathway into AFL and AFLW programs.

Another graduate of the program is Chloe McMillan who has departed the women’s program to take on a development role in the Collingwood men’s program. Scott Gowans (Sydney Swans) and James Debono (Defence Force) have also departed the women’s coaching ranks.

Meanwhile, Gamble has transitioned into the new role of Head of Development after overseeing the backline group in the AFLW season held earlier this year.

Head Coach Steve Symonds said this coaching group offers a great foundation for the program to build on the progress shown earlier this year.

“This coaching panel offers a diverse set of coaching skills and offers great balance for our program,” Symonds said.

“Having retained most coaches from our last season provides great stability for our players and staff who have developed strong relationships with these coaches.

“Having Jordan step up into a new role is very exciting for our club and is a great opportunity for him to take the next step in his coaching career. Jordan has long been involved in women’s football and over the course of his four years with our AFLW team, he has developed strong connections with the group and is highly respected by all involved in the program.

“We’re also pleased to welcome Sam to the club. He brings great experience as a past AFL player as well as through his time as a coach with Richmond. In his time with us already, he has been a wonderful fit amongst both the coaching and playing group.

“With a wealth of experience across our coaching panel, we’re well-positioned to achieve greater success and progress in the upcoming AFLW season.”

Collingwood 2022 AFLW Coaching Panel​

Head of Women’s Football and Head of Strategy - Jess Burger

Senior Coach - Steve Symonds

Senior assistant & Midfield coach - Jordan Roughead

Forwards assistant - Jason Brown

Backs assistant - Sam Shaw

Midfield development coach - Martha Cantwell

Backs development coach - Michael Hartley

Head of Development - Chris Gamble

Well this sucks for us. But good for her.

ANOTHER member of the Bowey family will be playing at the top level, with Hannah Bowey added to North Melbourne's list as a replacement player for Grace Campbell.

The Roo will unfortunately miss the season after rupturing her ACL in her left leg in a marking contest at training.

The 23-year-old Bowey, who has spent the last two years playing for Collingwood's VFLW side, is the sister of Melbourne's premiership player Jake and the daughter of former Saint Brett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching Aishling Sheridan in the midfield, I see her as the missing piece inside. Tarni brown was also outstanding against Sydney in the practice match. With Mikala Cann and Jamie Lambert returning, perhaps there is no need to chuck Chloe Molloy and Ruby Schleicher out of there preferred position. Instead give Imogen Evans a chance, she looks ready to go.

We have seen the men's side knock off and knock out the Baggers for season 2022, so lets all get there and support our AFLW team and watch them make it the double and knock off the Baggers in their season opener.....GO PIES!!!

After watching Aishling Sheridan in the midfield, I see her as the missing piece inside. Tarni brown was also outstanding against Sydney in the practice match. With Mikala Cann and Jamie Lambert returning, perhaps there is no need to chuck Chloe Molloy and Ruby Schleicher out of there preferred position. Instead give Imogen Evans a chance, she looks ready to go.

Sounds pretty much a given that Schleicher will be in the midfield. If it doesn't workout however, sounds like we would be comfortable putting her back into her normal position down back....

We have seen the men's side knock off and knock out the Baggers for season 2022, so lets all get there and support our AFLW team and watch them make it the double and knock off the Baggers in their season opener.....GO PIES!!!
I will be there!!!!!

COLLINGWOOD​

Captain: Steph Chiocci and Brianna Davey

Coach: Steve Symonds

Ins: Olivia Barber (Geelong), Charlotte Blair (draft) Lauren Brazzale (Carlton), Emily Smith (rookie), Charlotte Taylor (draft)

Outs: Sophie Alexander (Essendon), Aliesha Newman (Sydney), Ebony O’Dea (Port Adelaide), Imogen Purcell (delisted), Bella Smith (Sydney), Amelia Velardo (Carlton)

Last season finish: 6th (6-4)

Sidelined: Brittany Bonnici (knee), Brianna Davey (knee).

Star power: Where to begin with the Pies? They have so much experience in the likes of Chloe Molloy, Jaimee Lambert, Ruby Schleicher and Jaimee Lambert, plus Ash Brazill could be back. Look out.

Rising stars: Imogen Barnett was solid up forward in a practice match while ex-Cat Olivia Barber has shown she has a number of strings to her bow.

Expected finish: 6th

Chloe Molloy gives Collingwood serious star power. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos

Chloe Molloy gives Collingwood serious star power. Picture: Michael Willson

This is a season we really don't want to lose players. Draft picks value is going to be significantly reduced.

Due to the extra season the AFL is raising the draft age to 19. Pretty much meaning its the same pool of players that were in the June 2022 AFLW draft. However, I guess that means its probably a good year to try and poach some talent and give up less draft value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back