Magpies dead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

"North Alive" is that from Dwayne Russell commentating the 89 Grand Final after Burton kicked their one goal?

Either that or a failed marketing campaign from Playford Council.

In the last decade who came directly through the Port Magpies. Sam Gray? Can't think of another as Ebert doesn't really count as via WC trade.
Not sure it was that much of an advantage in the new world

The club's not looking at the short term benefit of having a hub of Port Adelaide teams. Le us not forget that S Gray came from a decade where the sanfl club was on its knees financially and the development level dropped.

Port have moved up to the big league. The kids only care about Port or Crows. If there were to be some old school territorial representation/zoning/connection, then you could align the Power with Eagles, North, Central, Norwood whereby top up players are dispersed to these 4 clubs and academy talent is from the zones of these clubs. Only chose Norwood due to Eyre Peninsula connection. Essentially SA split in 2, Port west of the River Torrens/Murray River and Adelaide to the east.

As it stands, Port are doing a better job of marketing/representing SA football heritage than the Crows are. Even if the Magpies guernsey is only worn in the occasional AFL game from now on.

I grew up in the 70s and 80s down south amongst Glenelg, Pamfers/Geelong, and Wineflies supporters. I reckon I was one of only a handful of Port supporters at High School.

I've also got mates who were ex Norwood, Woodville, Centrals, Westies supporters who now support Port in the AFL.

The notion that supporters only come from zones attached to the club is ridiculous, particularly now we play in a national competition.

Our zones are now South Australia, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Brisbane, Shanghai and Porto Alegre.
Oi 😁

This thread feels like it's the one Crows fans wanted to see, to watch us cry.

They must be sorely disappointed when they open it and see it's just us laughing at the SANFL teams that didn't make it.

It will be great to have most of the heartland of Port Adelaide supporting the crows whilst we use our marketing to win support from around the state. I don't think so. Sure, we have supporters from around the state that support Port but the mass heartland not supporting Port is something that our club does not want though. Also, it is not only about supporters, it is about young players growing their football talents among the club's environment. The club identified this as an advantage because Port was one of the best at it. If the sanfl said, yes take back all your zones and juniors, you know the club would not think twice about doing it.

I reckon it should be every clubs duty to develop players, but I'm against any special treatment in the draft.

100 game F/S only for mine. Let the rest of the draft be pure.
Teams like the Crows would be too self centered to do it properly if there was no draft advantage.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread has been both entertaining and depressing
I see the point Northalives is making but i dont think its relevant anymore

I was born and raised in a Centrals stronghold area and through my schooling in the 80s there were way more Port supporters at school than Centrals. We are talking about Elizabeth High School by the way. You dont get any more Centrals than Elizabeth.

This notion that you must be born in a Port zone to support Port or you will be a crows supporter is absolute tin foil hat stuff.

Im guessing that the footy express buses only run from the Alberton area now and the trains from Outer Harbor?

* the SANFL. I care about the prison bar guernsey and i care about our non AFL selected players playing. Thats it.
Couldnt give a s**t whether we make SANFL finals or whatever

Not having zones makes no difference to drawing supporters whatsoever

Teams like the Crows would be too self centered to do it properly if there was no draft advantage.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
SA young player development is in a terrible state, surely they'd want as many SA players in the league as possible. Players sometimes get homesick and clubs can benefit off that later.

I grew up in Brighton/Hove. So a Glenelg area you would say. Followed Port long before actually going to Alberton as a kid. Always a massive mix of teams supported in Primary School. Not sure we had majority Glenelg supporters at all. In fact, if memory serves Port was always highly represented.

Not sure what that means in the context of this drunk posting thread, except I hope Northa has slept off his hangover.

Our zones haven't gone to 8 clubs - they have basically gone to 2 clubs.

Close to 100% of our heartland and metro zone has gone to Woodville West Torrens and pretty much 100% of our country zone has gone to Norwood.

I am nowhere as pessimistic as Northalives about the metro zone areas being lost as a supporter heartland, but I think he is right about the west coast zone lost to Norwood will have a big impact over the next 30 years.

We were allocated the west coast in 1970 when country zones were introduced by the SANFL (and VFL also introduced them to their comp in 1970).

Before that it was first in best dressed. That's why Port were able to get Ebert and Light from the Riverland in the late 1960's and North a few of their champs from there, before West Adelaide received the area in 1970 as their country zone.

Those connections probably will be lost as all those small clubs on Eyre Peninsula wont be supported by Ports and the people to people contacts will be lost over time. Its a lot tougher when its an 6-12 hour drive to Alberton / Adelaide than a 15 minute drive to keep that connection.

So success in the AFL will drive who the kids from the west coast support rather than how we have worked those zones for the best part of 50 years.

If Whyalla does grow to a city of maybe 80,000 under Gupta's 20 year expansion plans, then this is where the club has to be ruthless in its approach to step on toes if need be, and send players, coaches and officials, both current and past to work that new increased population centre which will have a lot of immigrants from O's, interstaters move there, as well as South Aussies move there. That is the best chance for us to retain a long term strong presence on the west coast as the resources will be there to have people stationed in Whyalla and spread out across Eyre Peninsula, especially if we forge a long 20 year+ relationship with Gupta and his people.

You lot are like those deluded Americans that reckon they don't need universal healthcare because they've got Jesus.

The AFL is not about competition these days, it's about generating money and they have structured the AFL so that teams that get success are punished with unbalanced fixtures and late draft picks - for heaven's sake, we even here this "window of opportunity" s**t bandied about as if to legitimise the fact that teams now have to take it in turns at being successful.

Some of you are guilty at doing what Port had never done and that is underestimate your opponent, the enemy. The SANFL is the Crows and the Crows are the SANFL and eventually, as sure as night follows day, South Australia will be wall to wall Crows/SANFL and Port will disappear.

For every one underage player that is involved with the club, they bring along parents, uncles, aunties, Grandparents, friends etc and they are indoctrinated in the Port Adelaide way and even if they don't make it as footballers, they and their families have been made Port Adelaide for life and this is where our success came from, this is the reason we were able to get to play in the best league in the land and we have torn up our insurance policy for some airy-fairy garbage that drug addled marketing firms will deliver us hard core, hard nosed Port supporters instead.

Port Adelaide arrogance was based on rock solid foundations; your arrogance is based on pure fantasy that we will survive and prosper because our name is Port Adelaide.

Our zones haven't gone to 8 clubs - they have basically gone to 2 clubs.

Close to 100% of our heartland and metro zone has gone to Woodville West Torrens and pretty much 100% of our country zone has gone to Norwood.

I am nowhere as pessimistic as Northalives about the metro zone areas being lost as a supporter heartland, but I think he is right about the west coast zone lost to Norwood will have a big impact over the next 30 years.

We were allocated the west coast in 1970 when country zones were introduced by the SANFL (and VFL also introduced them to their comp in 1970).

Before that it was first in best dressed. That's why Port were able to get Ebert and Light from the Riverland in the late 1960's and North a few of their champs from there, before West Adelaide received the area in 1970 as their country zone.

Those connections probably will be lost as all those small clubs on Eyre Peninsula wont be supported by Ports and the people to people contacts will be lost over time. Its a lot tougher when its an 6-12 hour drive to Alberton / Adelaide than a 15 minute drive to keep that connection.

So success in the AFL will drive who the kids from the west coast support rather than how we have worked those zones for the best part of 50 years.

If Whyalla does grow to a city of maybe 80,000 under Gupta's 20 year expansion plans, then this is where the club has to be ruthless in its approach to step on toes if need be, and send players, coaches and officials, both current and past to work that new increased population centre which will have a lot of immigrants from O's, interstaters move there, as well as South Aussies move there. That is the best chance for us to retain a long term strong presence on the west coast as the resources will be there to have people stationed in Whyalla and spread out across Eyre Peninsula, especially if we forge a long 20 year+ relationship with Gupta and his people.
Don't waste your time in trying to convince those who dismiss the reality of what made Port the Power it was. Don't waste your time trying to point out to them what the future will look like because most of 'em are only interested in the now and who gives a s**t about the future.

On queue Dwayne Russell talking zones at the end of his show today as he gets George Fiacchi to talk about Port and what's happened to us.

Starts at 1:18.50 and goes almost to end ie about 1:24.20.

Dwayne says - Talked to Eddie McGuire about AFL reinventing 2nd tier football around Oz, and Eddie floating a return to zones in Victoria nurture under 18's in that zone, don't get first choice for kids in draft, but at least nurture those zones as a professional organisation and kids get a chance to wear a jumper they aspire to wear.

George reckons we have moved away from a traditional club and are more of a franchise, that doesn't quite work. Losing heritage and culture, and not happy about Magpies being kicked out of comp. What Eddie is talking about is what SA needs. All businesses looking at their model and what is working and what isn't, and "the way Port Adelaide is set up at the moment isn't working. It's no longer a traditional club that made it famous, it is now a franchise model. Now we need to change that back, because we're not successful. if you look at the stats havent won a premiership inthe SANFL in 20 odd years, and we've won 1 premiership in the last 23 years in the AFL. that's not the Port Adelaide success we are known for."

Dwayne asks if need to change the model, he says yes then takes a big indirect swipe at current leadership of the club.

Nuffies at SANFL wont let U/16 and/or U/18 be zoned to Port and the crows. They want to win national championships and unlike Victoria we can't have a 10 team comp with kids evenly spread across 10 AFL clubs being developed.

Last edited:
As a Port person all my life, and living through the 1990 AFL bid, this was inevitable... frankly the AFL have done us a favour.

It was the SANFL who stipulated that we had to have a presence in the SANFL (which has hurt us immensely) - NOT US!

This will finally put to bed the AFL Port not being the real Port Adelaide (except for irrelevant crows people who will never get it anyway). Onward and Upward.

* The only caveat is ensuring that the PB jumper has to have a run of games every AFL season going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back