Magpies Vs Eagles - Rd 19, 2016 - @MCG 4:35pm AEST

Who wins

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The umpiring didn't (directly) impact the result today, but it was pretty weird. Collingwood got an armchair ride in the first half - there was absolutely no consistency in the holding the ball decisions between teams.

Then the umpires had a fair bit to do with the Eagles getting back in front in the 3rd quarter. We weren't getting them cos we had the momentum - we were getting them because, again, the umpiring was shockingly inconsistent.

I think Collingwood scored more goals as a direct result of the inconsistent umpiring, but we didn't deserve to win in any case. I was at the game, so haven't looked into stats or anything - but from the naked eye it was clear that Collingwood were smashing us in contested possessions, and were tackling animals today. It's such an indictment on the Eagles that a team playing for nothing was sooooooo much harder at the ball than a team that was (is?) allegedly fighting for a top 4 spot. It's not good enough that we can look so good on the counter attack when we're in "clear air", but can look so disinterested in fighting it out in the trenches.

I argued in the "Eagles for top 4?" thread that if we can beat at least 2 of GWS, Hawthorn and Adelaide, we'll have earned a top 4 spot. I was wrong. Performances like that already indicate that we don't deserve to finish top 4. We're just playing soft as butter footy at the moment :mad:

But having said all of that (above), I just think the Eagles (for whatever reason - stuffed if I know) just seem to struggle or seem lost or whatever it is, they seem to panic and at times fumble the ball. They just seem different at the MCG - different as in not good but just a shadow of there former selves. Do you see where I'm coming at? It must be mental.

Our draw has masked the ordinary football we've been playing.

We've had some thoroughly unconvincing wins that make us look better than we are. As far as teams go that start 5-3 and have 4 x 10 goal wins in that go, we are one of the least convincing. Our away wins have been scraping over the line against Carlton and Port and beating Brisbane who still put 180+ past us over two games. People see big wins and think that we're dominant at home but it was just right place right time stuff for us. Collingwood/Richmond anywhere in the first few rounds was a gimme. Collingwood since have shown they can beat good sides.

There's definitely a mental demon about traveling, but I couldn't see us beating GWS or Adelaide in the next 4 weeks if those games were moved to Perth. We are just playing awful footy. We might knock off Hawthorn because by then the result won't be crucial to them and they can afford to cruise.

Our draw has masked the ordinary football we've been playing.

We've had some thoroughly unconvincing wins that make us look better than we are. As far as teams go that start 5-3 and have 4 x 10 goal wins in that go, we are one of the least convincing. Our away wins have been scraping over the line against Carlton and Port and beating Brisbane who still put 180+ past us over two games. People see big wins and think that we're dominant at home but it was just right place right time stuff for us. Collingwood/Richmond anywhere in the first few rounds was a gimme. Collingwood since have shown they can beat good sides.

There's definitely a mental demon about traveling, but I couldn't see us beating GWS or Adelaide in the next 4 weeks if those games were moved to Perth. We are just playing awful footy. We might knock off Hawthorn because by then the result won't be crucial to them and they can afford to cruise.

No no hang on a minute - thats the thing, if teams come to Perth to play West Coast - you can bet your bottom dollar that most of the time West Coast will win. This is what im getting at - why are they a shadow of there former selves away from home and yet in Perth they play such a positive brand of footy. Stuffed if I know..

Was at the mcg. 3/4 if the fans walked half way through the last quarter. Pitiful bunch.

I'd call that post hyperbole if I were being kind.

I'd call it straight bullshit if I were being honest.

We were only 2 goals down about 22 minutes into the last quarter - people started leaving when Collingwood scored the next goal (which was about 25 minutes in I think.)

Umps had little to no impact on this result. Eagles are just too mentally fragile, especially in Melbourne trips

It's frustrating as hell to watch, since there's enough natural talent on the list to dismantle teams like Collingwood, as seen earlier in the year

WCE fans over-rate the quality of their list tremendously.

WCE fans over-rate the quality of their list tremendously.

So does the WA media
They are not put under the microscope in the same way the dockers do. Some of their players really need the blow torch turned on them

Really? You should visit our board some time.

Other than Shuey, Naitanui, McGovern and Kennedy (Sheppard gets a good run too, makes up for the underrating by other fans), I'd say the Eagles players get the hardest run from their own fan base more than any other club on here.

Every other club reckons player number 35 on their list has star talent, Eagles fans meanwhile are knocking the likes of Priddis, Wellingham and Darling...

LeCras another disappointing game. Just not up to it. Hill and Cripps are miles ahead of him imo which says something - not that Hill and Cripps are poor, but LeCras used to be so far ahead of them.

And yeah it's obvious but how ******* good is Moore going to be.

LeCras another disappointing game. Just not up to it. Hill and Cripps are miles ahead of him imo which says something - not that Hill and Cripps are poor, but LeCras used to be so far ahead of them.

And yeah it's obvious but how ******* good is Moore going to be.

It's quite deceptive because stats say that both he and darling are on par with last year and yet I hear what you are saying

The game played exactly as I feared it would be. Collingwood looked hungrier, we just didn't put pressure on. There were point where we looked like we could overrun, like just after half time, but they were so fleeting. For his possessions Gaff didn't FA. Priddis and MacKenzie were really costing us a lot, so much fumbling, hand-passing to players being marked and tagged, interceptions...how did Darcy Moore manage to get so many uncontested marks on the lead? LeCras and Shuey just very ineffectual. Credit to the Pies where credit is due, they were more alert, they created space, they led, and our defenders just looked like they were lacking effort or energy. The general lack of effort was quite apparent, especially Priddis, McKenzie, Wellingham...What happened to Priddis? He was better a few years ago. No excuses at all. Nic Nat isn't going to help us win finals. I was at the game, it seemed to me at least a third Eagles supporters, the support for the Eags was there, and I don't think you can blame the ground either, we butchered it. It's not like we were being caned in the clearances either. Pies weren't even playing that fantastic, but they at least turned to play up. To me it's season over for us, forget top 4 and forget any hope of challenging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is it that West Coast struggle at the MCG, is it mental, the game style they play doesnt suit the MCG? Or a combination of things? I mean the fact that the Eagles have not beaten Collingwood at the MCG since 1995 - I mean such a big hoodoo to over come, but why?? I guess the hurdles the Eagles face at the MCG is the same when teams visit Domain Stadium and struggle at that ground.
I think part of it is that they didn't play there again until 2002 - when we finished 4th and WC 8th, and is when we started our run of finals (only missing in 2004 and 05). In 04 we didn't play them at the G and 05 was a bit of an out-of-the-box result when they had been up for a while. Apart from that, Collingwood has always been a decent side - 40% of the 10-game streak comes from 2011 and 2012 alone. Another 20% comes from 2008 and 2013 when West Coast were very ordinary, another game was mid-2014 when Collingwood was in the middle of an 8-wins-in-9-games streak, which only leaves today - and nobody should be shocked at today's result. West Coast are simply a 6th-8th team, and that type of team is very susceptible to losing to a 10th-12th team away from home.

It's not like all the games have been thrashings either - 7 of the 10 results have been under 4 goals.

I think part of it is that they didn't play there again until 2002 - when we finished 4th and WC 8th, and is when we started our run of finals (only missing in 2004 and 05). In 04 we didn't play them at the G and 05 was a bit of an out-of-the-box result when they had been up for a while. Apart from that, Collingwood has always been a decent side - 40% of the 10-game streak comes from 2011 and 2012 alone. Another 20% comes from 2008 and 2013 when West Coast were very ordinary, another game was mid-2014 when Collingwood was in the middle of an 8-wins-in-9-games streak, which only leaves today - and nobody should be shocked at today's result. West Coast are simply a 6th-8th team, that type of team is very susceptible to losing to a 10th-12th team away from home.

It's not like all the games have been thrashings either - 7 of the 10 games have been under 4 goals.

Yeah but still they struggle, and by that I mean they just dont look like the side that plays in Perth to the side that plays at the MCG, I dunno they just seem out of their comfort zone, they just struggle there for whatever reason.

I don't think our draw has been that much harder. More to the point, I don't think an easier draw would've made a big difference.

We've been flat all year and haven't found any form anywhere. Even getting Brisbane twice hasn't run us into form. We've got a big premiership hangover, minus the premiership.

What crap, you haven't been flat all year, you are up and about at home on Subi with 6 +10 goal wins. You have to be in form to win by more than 10 goals and it doesn't matter who it's against.
Why can't you just admit that some other teams played better on the day in the few games you've lost.

Yeah but still they struggle, and by that I mean they just dont look like the side that plays in Perth to the side that plays at the MCG, I dunno they just seem out of their comfort zone, they just struggle there for whatever reason.
It's an interesting phenomenon - no doubt the crowd plays a role at Subi as well as the well-documented umpiring discrepancies. WC also train on Subi so they know the place inside out - it's very unique in that no other ground is anywhere near that long.

Adelaide went through a patch from 2010-14 when they only won 1 of 12 at the G and 5 of 30 in Victoria - without looking at the stats I would hazard a guess they're faring quite a bit better over the last two years. It's just something that comes with being a more consistent team.

It's an interesting phenomenon - no doubt the crowd plays a role at Subi as well as the well-documented umpiring discrepancies. WC also train on Subi so they know the place inside out - it's very unique in that no other ground is anywhere near that long.

Adelaide went through a patch from 2010-14 when they only won 1 of 12 at the G and 5 of 30 in Victoria - without looking at the stats I would hazard a guess they're faring quite a bit better over the last two years. It's just something that comes with being a more consistent team.

West Coast - Record Interstate Since 2013

Round 3, 2013: West Coast: 27.15 (177) defeated Melbourne: 13.5 (83) - MCG

Round 5, 2013: Port Adelaide: 12.12 (84) defeated West Coast: 10.19 (79) - Aami Stadium

Round 7, 2013: West Coast: 17.6 (108) defeated Brisbane Lions: 12.10 (82) - Gabba

Round 9, 2013: West Coast: 23.17 (155) defeated Greater Western Sydney: 8.7 (55) - Spotless Stadium

Round 11, 2013: West Coast: 12.12 (84) defeated St Kilda: 11.14 (80) - Etihad Stadium

Round 13, 2013: Hawthorn: 19.9 (123) defeated West Coast: 16.7 (103) - Etihad Stadium

Round 15, 2013: West Coast: 11.9 (75) defeated Adelaide: 9.15 (69) - Aami Stadium

Round 18, 2013: Western Bulldogs: 16.15 (111) defeated West Coast: 13.11 (89) - Etihad Stadium

Round 20, 2013: West Coast: 18.12 (120) defeated Essendon: 9.13 (67) - Etihad Stadium

Round 22, 2013: Collingwood: 15.11 (101) defeated West Coast: 5.9 (39) - MCG

Round 2, 2014: West Coast: 18.15 (123) defeated Melbourne: 4.6 (30) - MCG

Round 4, 2014: Geelong: 16.11 (107) defeated West Coast: 4.8 (32) - Simmonds Stadium

Round 6, 2014: Carlton: 14.8 (92) defeated West Coast: 12.17: (89) - Etihad Stadium

Round 10, 2014: Collingwood: 17.7 (109) defeated West Coast: 15.11 (101) - MCG

Round 12, 2014: Hawthorn: 19.9 (123) defeated West Coast: 12.7 (79) - Aurora Stadium

Round 14 2014: West Coast: 15.13 (103) defeated St Kilda: 10.10 (70) - Etihad Stadium

Round 17, 2014: West Coast: 11.10 (76) defeated Brisbane Lions: 9.10 (64) - Gabba

Round 19, 2014: West Coast: 20.16 (136) defeated Adelaide: 16.9 (105) - Adelaide Oval

Round 21, 2014: Essendon: 11.11 (77) defeated West Coast: 11.8 (74) - Etihad Stadium

Round 23, 2014: West Coast: 23.13 (151) defeated Gold Coast: 15.9 (99) - Metricon Stadium

Round 1, 2015: Western Bulldogs: 14.13 (97) defeated West Coast: 14.3 (87) - Etihad Stadium

Round 4, 2015: West Coast: 17.16 (118) defeated Brisbane Lions: 9.11 (65) - Gabba

Round 6, 2015: West Coast: 11.12 (78) defeated Port Adelaide: 10.8 (68) - Adelaide Oval

Round 8, 2015: West Coast: 20.11 (131) defeated St Kilda: 12.6 (78) - Etihad Stadium

Round 10, 2015: North Melbourne: 13.7 (85) defeated West Coast: 10.15 (75) - Blundstone Arena

Round 12, 2015: West Coast: 13.12 (90) defeated Richmond: 10.10 (70) - MCG

Round 14, 2015: West Coast: 16.18 (114) defeated Melbourne: 9.6 (60) - TIO Stadium

Round 16, 2015: West Coast: 11.21 (87) defeated Collingwood: 7.14 (56) - Etihad Stadium

Round 18, 2015: West Coast: 11.17 (83) DREW Gold Coast: 12.11 (83) - Metricon Stadium

Round 22, 2015: Adelaide: 19.12 (126) defeated West Coast: 10.9 (69) - Adelaide Oval

Grand Final, 2015: Hawthorn: 16.11 (107) defeated West Coast: 8.13 (61) - MCG

Round 2, 2016: Hawthorn: 14.15 (99) defeated West Coast: 7.11 (53) - MCG

Round 5, 2016: Sydney: 12.16 (88) defeated West Coast: 7.7 (49) - SCG

Round 7, 2016: Geelong: 18.15 (123) defeated West Coast: 12.7 (79) - Simonds Stadium

Round 9, 2016: West Coast: 14.10 (94) defeated Port Adelaide: 13.8 (86) - Adelaide Oval

Round 11, 2016: Western Bulldogs: 12.11 (83) defeated West Coast: 11.9 (75) - Etihad Stadium

Round 13, 2016: West Coast: 20.11 (131) defeated Brisbane Lions: 12.10 (82) - Gabba

Round 17, 2016: West Coast: 12.10 (82) defeated Carlton 11.9 (75) - MCG

Round 19, 2016: Collingwood: 13.13 (91) defeated West Coast: 11.6 (72) - MCG

West Coast Record Interstate - Since 2013: Played 39 - won 20, lost 18, draw 1 (51.28%)

The game played exactly as I feared it would be. Collingwood looked hungrier, we just didn't put pressure on. There were point where we looked like we could overrun, like just after half time, but they were so fleeting. For his possessions Gaff didn't FA. Priddis and MacKenzie were really costing us a lot, so much fumbling, hand-passing to players being marked and tagged, interceptions...how did Darcy Moore manage to get so many uncontested marks on the lead? LeCras and Shuey just very ineffectual. Credit to the Pies where credit is due, they were more alert, they created space, they led, and our defenders just looked like they were lacking effort or energy. The general lack of effort was quite apparent, especially Priddis, McKenzie, Wellingham...What happened to Priddis? He was better a few years ago. No excuses at all. Nic Nat isn't going to help us win finals. I was at the game, it seemed to me at least a third Eagles supporters, the support for the Eags was there, and I don't think you can blame the ground either, we butchered it. It's not like we were being caned in the clearances either. Pies weren't even playing that fantastic, but they at least turned to play up. To me it's season over for us, forget top 4 and forget any hope of challenging.

5 of Darcy's 6 marks were contested marks.

No no hang on a minute - thats the thing, if teams come to Perth to play West Coast - you can bet your bottom dollar that most of the time West Coast will win. This is what im getting at - why are they a shadow of there former selves away from home and yet in Perth they play such a positive brand of footy. Stuffed if I know..
Another way looking at it is that West Coast are a limited side who rise to the occasion and play to their absolute best at home.

Wow!
Just watched the Pie v WC replay!

Big celebrations by Eddie & the players on the groundafter the game & Buckley's presser afterwards where he's seriously pumping the chest out.

Well done Pies!
What's that?
4 premierships this year now?
With four rounds to go there's still a chance for 1 or 2 more which could break their previous record. Under Buckley's reign as coach.

Wow!
Just watched the Pie v WC replay!

Big celebrations by Eddie & the players on the groundafter the game & Buckley's presser afterwards where he's seriously pumping the chest out.

Well done Pies!
What's that?
4 premierships this year now?
With four rounds to go there's still a chance for 1 or 2 more which could break their previous record. Under Buckley's reign as coach.
Wow - a pathetic troll - what a surprise...

Back