Main Board Topic - Dissent Rule Ruining Games

Did you bother watching the last 7-8 minutes of tonight’s game after the dissent rule call?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dare you to umpire out in the subs and see how long you last with a decision like last night.
its not helping one bit.
Agreed, it's actually made the game harder to umpire, again

FWIW I haven't watched a game all year, hurts the eyes, it's a radio game now

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
The problem is umpires will rarely pay it now because it is a stupid rule but it is in the book so at some stage some over officious umpire will pull one out and it will cost a team points (and hopefully not a final!) Same with the protected area rule there would be 50 each round that are missed and one or two paid across 9 games. It's amateur.

What is this line the AFL and some people love pedaling 'umpiring is the hardest role in the game'? Umpiring is for nerds who can't play.
It's the AFL's fault it's so hard to umpire.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
As expected, the brain dead ex players in the media lead the whining and whinging.
Hell of a job educating and reprogramming the masses who are traditionally resistant to change.
Anyway …
I’d be hoping my clubs coach see’s this as an opportunity to get an advantage.
Coaches spend weeks and months with their players looking for that 1% advantage.
Well here it is and luck plays no part.
Whilst everyone else continues to moan and be penalised, often at crucial times, drill the message home to the players that dissent, any dissent, stops NOW !!
It takes nothing physically to change, just a disciplined mental commitment to understand, accept and follow one simple rule.
This should not be to much to ask from professionally trained and paid full time athletes in a billion dollar industry.
Is there a coach bright enough to grab this 1% advantage and run with it … sadly, probably not …

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
As always the stubborn bureaucrats at the AFL think they know better and refuse to listen to the public and ex-players in the media telling them what an idiotic rule this is. It shouldn't be too hard for them to understand that players will have emotional reactions in a high pressure, fast paced game especially when decisions are made that could genuinely go either way.

You think they would be able to understand that abuse is completely different to what they are policing now and that the lack of consistency in the application of the rule is just as bad as the rule itself. Sadly, probably not.

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
What’s ridiculous is so called professional players costing their teams dearly with unprofessional performances.
NO dissent to umpires
It’s very simple …
Do you work in a library that has a safe space? The AFL is an elite environment, emotions run high and you can’t just ask for the players to all of a sudden to turn off their emotions. It’s certainly scary times when an organisation can police your emotions.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
The dissent rule is good man.. adding subsections to it would be as well I reckon. We could start with something like.. I dunno.. players to stop calling umpires 'mate' and that. Look.. if the players don't agree with it.. we could always force them to take part in a 'Respect at Training' course or whatever.. and then just take it from there I suppose. Onwards and upwards man.

Dee Train

Celebrating superiority since 2021
Aug 17, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
The irony of Brad Scott trying to champion this rule when he was one of the most demonstrative sooks in his playing/coaching days.

Even more frustrating is I bet you could find a 100 of these arms up 50m penalties over the past few weeks that weren’t paid, and rightly so because arms in the air shouldnt hurt a professional umpires feelings. Flat out abuse I get, not some arbitrary body language that is inevitable in high level competitive sport. Can you imagine the NBA or NFL trying to implement this rule? Laughable
Yep. Meanwhile at my kids under 12s game today some of the little darlings got told off for swearing at the umps. Looks like the crackdown on dissent is really filtering through to the grassroots 🙄

Dee Train

Celebrating superiority since 2021
Aug 17, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
3 changes would go a long way to improve the game IMO. Get rid of the dissent rule unless it’s clear abuse/intimidation etc, stop paying frees for the protected space unless it truly impacts on the player with the ball, stop paying ridiculous deliberate OOB. They clearly want a zero stoppage game with the ball constantly in motion but it’s gone too far. Lucky the Dees are good otherwise I wouldn’t watch at all to be honest.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
What about when umpires raise their arms signalling a free kick and that man.. and say they're wearing Lynx or some s**t like that.. and players get a wiff of it and that.. and find the scent offensive and that.. where's the dissent rule for that man? Where's the dissent rule for that man? Where's the must wear Acqui Di Gio deodorant at a min man? Ha? Ha? Yeah. No worries man.

BringOn2017

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Great rule
Be disciplined
Shut your mouth

I like the spirit of the rule but you can keep your mouth shut and still get paid for umpire dissent by having your arms up….. but then the very next free kick the exact same thing happens and it is not paid. Which is where the problem is. No consistency.

BringOn2017

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
As expected, the brain dead ex players in the media lead the whining and whinging.
Hell of a job educating and reprogramming the masses who are traditionally resistant to change.
Anyway …

They are paid to give their opinions, give commentary and analysis. Not run an education camp based on the AFL’s latest brain fart.

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
I wonder what a former Mordialloc player by the name of Graeme Pelikan would think of the dissent rule? Pelikan was a 1 game player for Mordialloc in their 1986 VFA Second Division season, in which the Bloods finished last and winless, most matches absolute thrashings. The reason Pelikan played just one game? He was banned for life after his sole senior appearance when he was found guilty of striking field umpire Greg Hutchinson, this following the umpire reporting Pelikan for striking two Caulfield opponents during a melee, for which Pelikan received additional suspensions on top of his life ban.

Way back in the early 1900s there was a difference of opinion between field umpire Ivo Crapp (an unfortunate name) and Collingwood's Dick Condon (an even more unfortunate name) in which Condon was given a lengthy ban for verbal abuse of Crapp, much of which was about the umpire's daughter. Dick Condon's Wikipedia page makes for some interesting reading, the Umpire Crapp incident was just one of a number of similar incidents with umpires, officials, opponents and even team-mates around this time. I certainly wouldn't be giving him (Condon) s**t about his name, that's for sure.

What is this line the AFL and some people love pedaling 'umpiring is the hardest role in the game'? Umpiring is for nerds who can't play.

and yet without them, there is no game. it is the debate about who is the most important person in society.......the president/ prime minister or the garbage collector.

Further this is not about AFL and umpires, it's about grass roots footy who have lost some X thousand umpires. With no grass roots there is no tomorrow's AFL players and the lack of connection to the game, there are no supporters.

AFL players should focus on playing the game and not umpiring or appealing. Perhaps a yellow and red card system will get them focused if 50m penalties isn't enough.........after all that will be what they face if mum's have there kids play soccer rather than AFL.

BigPond101

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
What ruins my enjoyment is the amount of free kicks especially in marking contests. If the umpires have been particularly jumpy by the 4th quarter I am just waiting for a whistle and random free everytime the ball is kicked inside 50 to a pack of players

If I could be umpire boss and give one decree it would be pay the most obvious, absolute stone cold dead free kicks and apart from that involve yourself in the game as little as possible

The problem is they're focusing on dissent when dissent is not the issue. Abuse is.

I seriously doubt you'd find an umpire in Australia offended by "What was that for?" or "But he was holding ME!" or "Come on, there was nothing in that!"

It's when it extends to personal attacks against the umpire that a penalty should be given.

The fact that we're giving 50m penalties for the angle at which players hold their open arms is so absurd that I can't really believe I just wrote that sentence.

The way that this rule has been implemented has the potential to (and WILL) affect the outcome of gains, and in fact does more harm toward the goodwill for umpires than it does gaining them any respect.

Back