Main Board Topic - Dissent Rule Ruining Games

Did you bother watching the last 7-8 minutes of tonight’s game after the dissent rule call?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpire abuse should be penalised - not questioning a 50/50 decision out of frustration. Khamis was pushed - De Goey laid an ok tackle. Players are human and have emotional responses - this is getting ridiculous

I thought it was a free kick to Khamis and I think he was confused as well...

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
Certainly killed the Pies late charge, ruins the spectacle as a neutral.

There needs to be a better penalty, killing a game for waving your arms is not good viewing for anyone.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Those that can’t/won’t understand
NO dissent to umpires
Make comment on themselves.
The first club to fully wake up to the simple reality of :
NO dissent to umpires
Will give themselves a much easier ride in games each week …

And we can then pretend that there is no issue with the quality of the umpiring. Afterall, no-one complains !!

Hi Brad.

When it was brought in my immediate thought was that it was yet another discretionary rule that is going to be applied inconsistently to benefit umpire favourite teams. So colour me shocked to see a thread tonight about all the momentum changing dissent free kicks to the Bulldogs.

PorcelainBus

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Freo, swan districts
When it was brought in my immediate thought was that it was yet another discretionary rule that is going to be applied inconsistently to benefit umpire favourite teams. So colour me shocked to see a thread tonight about all the momentum changing dissent free kicks to the Bulldogs.
There was definitely one against the Bulldogs too

Bulldog in Kiev

Senior List
May 22, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yet you overlook to khamis 50 that helped the pies get some momentum in the 1st place.

What can be done?

Can the majority of the crowds next week turn their back to the ground with banners dissent rule must banished - the people have spoken.

Can players protest by every decision made by the umpires. That all 36 stretch their arms out?

That would be 1800m worth of penalties!!

Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can someone in all seriousness explain the intent of this rule. If it's about abuse, then pay it for abuse.

BUT if it is truly about the prevention of players admonishing umpires, can Brad Kn*bhead Scott please apply consistency. When I see 5 players with arms out for holding the ball or deliberate out of bounds, how is that different to 1 player with arms out after a push in the back????

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC
YourselfWhat an advantage it will be to the first club smart enough to understand a simple rule :

NO dissent to umpires
Why do you keep repeating yourself? We know your opinion. The poll says most disagree with you. By repeating your posts won’t change this stat.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
The player and/team makes a difference

Steven May was terrible a few weeks ago, right in the umpires face screaming (arms out too), no 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The intent of the rule is right.

Unfortunately, yet again, the afl have created yet another rule that requires interpretation. We need more black and white rules, and less that rely on intent, or vibe.

Clear the decks, start again, make life easy for the umps.

Dee Train

Celebrating superiority since 2021
Aug 17, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah, the word you're looking for there is 'annals'.

The extra 'n' is pretty important.

1CBD3464-6720-4639-8468-BA505416C83D.png

The rule lacks common sense and players will continue to do split second reations or questioning of decisions like last night. Innocent, in the moment and harmless.

Genuine dissent, abuse and threats deserve being penalised (like they always have).

Penalising a team and potentially costing them a final for something like this is crazy. God help the AFL and B Scott if it happens.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
It's really not that hard to not chuck a tanty when you give away a free kick.
That's not the point.

Last week in the final minutes Brad Hill was caught HTB by Harmes in a contentious call. Hill initially put his arms out "dissenting" the call then also gestured to the scoreboard after viewing the replay. No 50. I'm sure there are 50 others that people could pick out that weren't paid.

But then you get an over officious umpire who decides to pay one at a critical stage killing off a game.

It's a terrible rule and until it is removed this will keep happening. 50 missed each week and one or two paid and the punishment is severe enough that it can impact the result of a game. That's not what footy supporters want to see.

The "protected zone" rule is exactly the same.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
NO dissent to umpires
NO dissent to umpires
Explain to me the dissent shown by Buku Khamis? It's madness!

Apr 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
The rule is a bit nonsensical (in application) but the hysteria over it is also nonsensical. People need to get a grip.

It needs a tweak but most people except angry Boomers agree with the premise of the rule (for once). It will settle down over time.

Nah, the hysteria is entirely justified on this one.

As people have explained, the problem is not just that the rule itself is absurd and counterintuitive, it's that it will never be enforced properly and consistently because of it. The evidence for this is already abundantly clear.

There can be no reasonable defence of a rule that is so arbitrary both in its intention and its application.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
MODS - THIS NEEDS TO STAY A MAIN BOARD THREAD, NOT RELEGATED TO THE ANALS OF BIGFOOTY. IF IT IS RELEGATED THEN BIGFOOTY IS AS COOKED AS THE AFL

Ok - simple poll. Apart from Bulldogs fans, who else bothered watching the last 7-8 minutes of tonight’s match after that dissent rule call?

Interesting, when I saw this thread I thought it would be about the Khamis one, which was FAR worse.

Regardless, showing a genuine human emotion in a high pressure sporting environment shouldn't be punished if an umpire isn't directly being pointed or yelled at.

TheWeapon

Club Legend
May 20, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
The irony of Brad Scott trying to champion this rule when he was one of the most demonstrative sooks in his playing/coaching days.

Even more frustrating is I bet you could find a 100 of these arms up 50m penalties over the past few weeks that weren’t paid, and rightly so because arms in the air shouldnt hurt a professional umpires feelings. Flat out abuse I get, not some arbitrary body language that is inevitable in high level competitive sport. Can you imagine the NBA or NFL trying to implement this rule? Laughable

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
NO dissent to umpires
NO dissent to umpires
Dare you to umpire out in the subs and see how long you last with a decision like last night.
its not helping one bit.

Back