Mainstream was Coolest in the 80s??

Papa G

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
People get too wrapped up in the 80s being all about new wave, new romantices, synth pop etc. Guitar Bands like Van Halen, Guns and Roses, Motley Crew, Def Leppard, ACDC, Bon Jovi and countless others were all incredibly mainstream and popular.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yellabellabingbangboo

Debutant
Suspended
AFL Club
Adelaide
People get too wrapped up in the 80s being all about new wave, new romantices, synth pop etc. Guitar Bands like Van Halen, Guns and Roses, Motley Crew, Def Leppard, ACDC, Bon Jovi and countless others were all incredibly mainstream and popular.
Agree.

Pop music has morphed into this concept that it is cheesey or overly produced music, when it is just music that is popular. I happen to like alot of cheesey pop music, like some britney, beyonce even a taylor swift song or two.

I absolutely love high quality catchy cheese or overly produced "pop". The problem is there is so much **** around where little effort and talent are involved and this gives pop a bad name. Famous people decide they want to be a dampus singer so they get a hack to write them an album. Anyone can make a tune, most of us have the technology to.do this.

There are great producers put there (like the lead singer of NERD whose name has escaped me) but it is drowned out by talentless hacks.

In the 80s people went a bit synth mad and there seemed to be alot of ****. Like Kylies 80s albums were a joke whereas she made some good albums in the later 90s.

In the 90s i cpuld listen to commercial radio because mainstream music consisted of lenny Kravitz, Metallica, smashing pumpkins, radiohead, portishead, gnr, beastie boys, spiderbait and of course Nirvana, they were MASSIVE in the 90s. There was almost a consensus on them being good.

These days people that are into music follow their own path. At the risk of being a snob but people that can qithstand commercial radio, and not have their ears bleed, aren't really into music. I am astonished when i unwittingly walk into a shop that is playing some horrific song.

Music and its production has changed.

Having said that there os outstanding music being made, but it isn't being played on the radio.

Top Bottom