Play Nice Majak Daw in hospital after jumping from the Bolte bridge

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would anyone report this in the media?
Great work heraldsun!
Hope Majak is okay and has a fresh start.
But damn, they should never have named him or spoken about what happened.

As a side point, the media once didn't report things like this as suicide attempts and it leads to shock about how many men (and women, but mostly men) take their own lives every week. It might seem crass and opportunistic to report on morbid and dark stories like this but it does generate the social dialogue and create an environment where people might not feel so alone in their struggle, perhaps enough to get help.

Why would anyone report this in the media?
Great work heraldsun!
Hope Majak is okay and has a fresh start.
But damn, they should never have named him or spoken about what happened.
It's called news...
I notice you're on social media trying to find out what happened, who it was etc..

So instead Majak just has an "unknown injury" and doesn't play the majority of next season for undisclosed reasons?

The Melbourne media is already being criticised enough for not revealing a major news story last week due to a suppression order, of course the media will report on this-- it's a story that will spark the interest of the Melbourne public. Even if the main stream press didn't reveal it, it would've been on social media by lunch time anyway-- so it's better they report on it, then look incompetent and like they don't know what's going on again.
The media do not need to give this further prominence for fear of others suffering mental health issues committing the same act. Sadly this could have a drastic effect.

As a side point, the media once didn't report things like this as suicide attempts and it leads to shock about how many men (and women, but mostly men) take their own lives every week. It might seem crass and opportunistic to report on morbid and dark stories like this but it does generate the social dialogue and create an environment where people might not feel so alone in their struggle, perhaps enough to get help.
I hate sweeping things under the rug.

The world isn't perfect and think some things are better talked about!

The media do not need to give this further prominence for fear of others suffering mental health issues committing the same act. Sadly this could have a drastic effect.
Mental health agencies changed their tact in recent months/years surrounding this. Initially they based it all on some research that said reporting on this stuff only further creates copy cats and to never report. They've started to think more about the conversation and the impact of suicide, and as a result, reporting it actually tends to get people to seek help, to get support, and have the awkward conversations. Sweeping it under the rug does more damage in the long run to others who might not realise they are in a bad spot.

By that mentality the media shouldn't report on any of the recent "Car attacks" in the Melbourne CBD-- because all of those men were suffering mental health issues and we definitely don't want anyone else committing the same act either.

I understand your opinion and if it was regular "John Smith" I would agree with you-- however when it is someone with a "profile" in Melbourne it will become known within the community regardless of whether the mainstream media reported on it or not. I for one prefer it when our mainstream media report on stories rather than keeping things a secret from the public.

TheWest.com.au reporting that he fell, not a jump. That is a massive change to the story...

unless of course their paper is a worthless rag with no standards?? Could it be?

I hope Maj is alright but this does sound pretty grim. I agree with what you say about generating dialogue. I've been through some pretty heavy stuff this year and did the typical bloke thing and "she'll be right". The fact is s**t happens to everyone, mental health is something that leads to death and serious injury and the more we talk about it, the more we normalise it and going to a counsellor or picking up the phone doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore.

If you do have a heavy heart or mind, talk to SOMEONE, ANYONE.

TheWest.com.au reporting that he fell, not a jump. That is a massive change to the story...

unless of course their paper is a worthless rag with no standards?? Could it be?

They are incorrect, unfortunately.

I don't know if you're familiar with the bridge, but it's not one you can fall off.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah look I can't see the papers reporting it as a jump - I know they are heartless but they would cop a beating if it were untrue.

Sweeping it under the rug does more damage in the long run to others who might not realise they are in a bad spot

It also lends weight to the question on whether or not the AFL’s wellness program is really working to the level it hopes it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate sweeping things under the rug.

The world isn't perfect and think some things are better talked about!

I understand what you're saying and definitely agree that there are things better talked about, but the mass media isn't the right place to have those discussions around suicide. The biggest issue is that the overwhelming consensus of research into suicide shows that there is an increase of suicides following media reports of suicide. There are a number of organisations that have published guidelines around reporting suicide; I just found this one from Mindframe after a quick Google - http://www.mindframe-media.info/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/9983/Mindframe-for-media-book.pdf - that is really interesting reading.

The flipside of that coin is that people vastly underestimate the rate of people dying by suicide, but that misunderstanding is far less important to rectify than actually reducing the number of instances of it happening.

Mental health agencies changed their tact in recent months/years surrounding this. Initially they based it all on some research that said reporting on this stuff only further creates copy cats and to never report. They've started to think more about the conversation and the impact of suicide, and as a result, reporting it actually tends to get people to seek help, to get support, and have the awkward conversations. Sweeping it under the rug does more damage in the long run to others who might not realise they are in a bad spot.

By that mentality the media shouldn't report on any of the recent "Car attacks" in the Melbourne CBD-- because all of those men were suffering mental health issues and we definitely don't want anyone else committing the same act either.

I understand your opinion and if it was regular "John Smith" I would agree with you-- however when it is someone with a "profile" in Melbourne it will become known within the community regardless of whether the mainstream media reported on it or not. I for one prefer it when our mainstream media report on stories rather than keeping things a secret from the public.
Its a discussion that needs the community as a whole to be more transparent about I agree. The HS on this case and Fox Footy have chosen to suppress the finer details.
I think with it being school holidays, ATAR results being releases and young people being the most vulnerable - they have chosen to not report it. Also Christmas time and the pressures associated with this time of year - for me its the one subject the media has never been able to handle and report on and probably because some of the journos out there are not well equipped in doing so.
In todays nature of chasing the headline and being the first with the scoop, I dont trust the media to do it properly.

I don't have an issue with it being reported, I take issue with them not having all the facts and just reporting it so they can try to be the first to do so. Moreso that it hasn't even been 12 hours yet so you would think some of his friends and family don't know yet. They shouldn't have to find out about it from some half assed news report.

The welfare of Majak and those close to him hasn't been factored in at all.

It also lends weight to the question on whether or not the AFL’s wellness program is really working to the level it hopes it is.

Evidently not tbh, but then again are you surprised? The AFL would have that program to give the appearance of doing the right thing rather than anything that provides tangible benefits.

Watch when the AFL inevitably come out in a matter of hours for their moment to speak, they will keep mentioning how they have good structures in place.

This is absolutely horrible to read about this morning, and a week out from Christmas. A time where we all should be enjoying our time with family and friends. I really hope that this was an accident, but it would seem a real effort to just accidentally fall off the Bolte.
Really hope Maj gets the help he so desperately requires.

From what I have heard from a former player its easy to lie or omit things as people do when they are trying to hide things. This player had a form each week based around moods etc and asked to fill it out.

Anything raised is then discussed.

I hope Majak gets the help he needs.

I understand what you're saying and definitely agree that there are things better talked about, but the mass media isn't the right place to have those discussions around suicide. The biggest issue is that the overwhelming consensus of research into suicide shows that there is an increase of suicides following media reports of suicide. There are a number of organisations that have published guidelines around reporting suicide; I just found this one from Mindframe after a quick Google - http://www.mindframe-media.info/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/9983/Mindframe-for-media-book.pdf - that is really interesting reading.

The flipside of that coin is that people vastly underestimate the rate of people dying by suicide, but that misunderstanding is far less important to rectify than actually reducing the number of instances of it happening.

If not talking about it isn't working and talking about it isn't working...then we really need ways to reduce the rates :(

Evidently not tbh, but then again are you surprised? The AFL would have that program to give the appearance of doing the right thing rather than anything that provides tangible benefits.

Watch when the AFL inevitably come out in a matter of hours for their moment to speak, they will keep mentioning how they have good structures in place.
How would you go about it?

The media will generally report suicide as fell or accident. It’s because of the belief that reporting on it can lead to a cluster of attempted suicides.

In WA you’d be amazed how many times trains are reported as a technical issue and are running late, however it was an attempted suicide. Thewest has article has the lifeline number on it as well. It’s just how they report on these things

Remove this Banner Ad

Back