Play Nice Majak Daw in hospital after jumping from the Bolte bridge

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you like to be known the rest of your life for a decision you'd made under great duress in your mid twenties?
Hiding it doesn't help, half the problem nowadays is kids being insulated from the real world, THE TRUTH.
Majaks recovery is a great positive that has and will save others, but the fact is he jumped off a ******* bridge.
I am known for something I did in my 20's, but I didn't hide from the truth.

Why do everyone in the media keep referring to it as a fall?

Because the media generally conform to certain protocols in reporting suicide and attempted suicide consistent with the mindframe guidelines. One of those is removing method and location details wherever possible. Im assuming this is an attempt to follow those guidelines.

Why do everyone in the media keep referring to it as a fall?
Because the medai have guidelines in reporting about attempted suicide and suicide. Hence why lifeline is mentioned after anything in the media which is self harm/suicide, If they report on it they will not exactly say how ect.

I hate to be 'that guy'. I am not sure a relationship where a man made a hot blooded decision to jump from a bridge after an argument with his partner a few months back is the ideal environment to bring a baby into the fold.

The fact that he has recovered so well from his injuries is fantastic though.

Lot more to it than that. Had a bad headspace for a while, was on some potentially dangerous medication, and was triggered by an argument.

Worrying time to have a baby, hope things work out for the family.
It can be a real positive for a person - perspective, 'higher purpose' etc.
Myself and many people I know have experienced it.

As an aside, I pity the team that plays North the game Majak makes his return. They'll come out breathing fire. It will be Jason McCartney all over again.

Hiding it doesn't help, half the problem nowadays is kids being insulated from the real world, THE TRUTH.
Majaks recovery is a great positive that has and will save others, but the fact is he jumped off a ******* bridge.
I am known for something I did in my 20's, but I didn't hide from the truth.
I heard he jumped over the bridge.

Because the medai have guidelines in reporting about attempted suicide and suicide. Hence why lifeline is mentioned after anything in the media which is self harm/suicide, If they report on it they will not exactly say how ect.
Which is clearly working. Since the media started doing this suicides have gone down! :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It can be a real positive for a person - perspective, 'higher purpose' etc.
Myself and many people I know have experienced it.

As an aside, I pity the team that plays North the game Majak makes his return. They'll come out breathing fire. It will be Jason McCartney all over again.
Perhaps, i just question if somebody ready to end their life a few months ago is in a good headspace to have and look after a child. Mental injuries often take a while to heal.

He's returning to footy via the VFL this week.

An unbelievable recovery.

The entire footy world is rooting for him.

You're Australian. This is Australia.

Nobody is rooting for him. Majak and his missus rooted and made a baby.

Bloody ripper bonza news though!

Okay, I think the guidelines are a mistake then. You can't remove stigma without being able to have an honest conversation.

It's been proven repeatedly that discussion of suicide/attempts in the media leads to a rise in suicide attempts.

There is good reason why they don't talk about things like this openly.

Seems pretty irresponsible that news outlets are continuing to describe as a fall. As a society we should be removing stigma from mental health, not perpetuating it by covering it up and lying.

Couldn't agree more. By continuing to label it a "fall", a massive opportunity to show how people can come back from the absolute depths of mental torment has been lost. It's clearly a direction as every media outlet is toeing the line, but it's disappointing. A fall seems like he was skylarking. Instead he, in a moment, thought ending his life was a better option than what was in front of him and he has clearly shown that not to be the case. He could be a real role model here. Perhaps he's not ready for that. I wish him well regardless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back