Play Nice Majak Daw in hospital after jumping from the Bolte bridge

Remove this Banner Ad

Hird reported he requested and took Meltonin because of difficulties sleeping. Robinson said he gave him Melanotan, which would be strange, as it’s not something that aids sleep.

End of the day, like most at Essendon at the time, he probably doesn’t actually know what it was.
I think it more likely that Melatonin was only raised as an option after people pointed out Melanotan was on the banned list (for athletes, not coaches). Like most things, it was about the “optics”. There’s no doubt Dank, Hird, Sam Newman et al, were taking a “tanning” supplement given the hue of their skin colour. It was most likely Melanotan (which reportedly has the boner side effect). Whether or not he also received melatonin is something we’ll never know.

Add to that Majak having the weight of a community on his shoulders too.
But it could also be a case of circumstance rather than a long running battle with poor mental health? He had a blue with his girlfriend. Sometimes you make poor decisions in the heat of the moment. This could be one of them.

As soon as that happened with Hird he should have been off limits.

That said, I don't recall the Essendon faithful showing too much regard for Hal Hunter when he said he was dealing with anxiety and depression of a result of events at the club while he was there.
Not everything is viewed through a jumper man, just for once try and stop living through one.

But it could also be a case of circumstance rather than a long running battle with poor mental health? He had a blue with his girlfriend. Sometimes you make poor decisions in the heat of the moment. This could be one of them.

Long running, certainly longer than just one fight with the missus.

As soon as that happened with Hird he should have been off limits.

That said, I don't recall the Essendon faithful showing too much regard for Hal Hunter when he said he was dealing with anxiety and depression of a result of events at the club while he was there.

Christ. You whinge and whinge about how things are reported but you just do the same thing?

You can’t get all pissy if it’s a north player or something north related, then throw that kind of stuff out there.

Not everything needs to be a troll

Christ. You whinge and whinge about how things are reported but you just do the same thing?

You can’t get all pissy if it’s a north player or something north related, then throw that kind of stuff out there.

Not everything needs to be a troll

Go read a few pages back. Essendon types getting on their high horses about Majak.

But anyway, I've deleted that now, you're right.

Unfortunately, with the reported injuries, the young fella will most likely be confined to a wheelchair/walker for the rest of his life.

Why do you say that? He doesn't have any spinal injuries.

A broken hip can be a 4 - 6 week injury. Pelvis is up to 12 weeks. Why do you think he would be in a wheelchair for life?

Hey guys. Good news on this. The Age is reporting that Majak will gain full mobility should the surgery be a success. He is apparently having surgery to fractures on only his Pelvis, which is a good sign because if the spine was mentioned.. that would be the end of his football career. An injured Pelvis is recoverable. No mention of surgery on his hips or anywhere else.

So people stating he will be in a wheelchair, and never play again.... this is rubbish. Most injuries outside the Spine or Brain are fully recoverable.... if sportspeople can snap their leg in half (Nathan Brown, Paul George) and recover, then surely a Pelvis can recover in the same way even from some heavy damage.

Here's to one of the greatest comebacks of all time in the near future.

Correct mate, under-reporting of suicide in third world countries has been a major issue for a long time.

This is exactly correct. My fiance is from Asia, and she has said to me that people in Asia don't get depression or anxiety.... I was like hoooollld up... yes they do, it's just that A) They don't have the knowledge on what mental health conditions are, B) Don't have the resources or trained professionals available, and C) have a lot of cultural pressure on these issues... for example, if a guy says he is depressed, his family basically says he is weak and stupid. There is no acceptance of it in a lot of these places. I'd say Africa would be similar to these conditions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys. Good news on this. The Age is reporting that Majak will gain full mobility should the surgery be a success. He is apparently having surgery to fractures on only his Pelvis, which is a good sign because if the spine was mentioned.. that would be the end of his football career. An injured Pelvis is recoverable. No mention of surgery on his hips or anywhere else.

So people stating he will be in a wheelchair, and never play again.... this is rubbish. Most injuries outside the Spine or Brain are fully recoverable.... if sportspeople can snap their leg in half (Nathan Brown, Paul George) and recover, then surely a Pelvis can recover in the same way even from some heavy damage.

Potentially great news but footy is a secondary consideration you would think.

Thanks for the info

This is exactly correct. My fiance is from Asia, and she has said to me that people in Asia don't get depression or anxiety.... I was like hoooollld up... yes they do, it's just that A) They don't have the knowledge on what mental health conditions are, B) Don't have the resources or trained professionals available, and C) have a lot of cultural pressure on these issues... for example, if a guy says he is depressed, his family basically says he is weak and stupid. There is no acceptance of it in a lot of these places. I'd say Africa would be similar to these conditions.

Many African countries are far worse than even Australia from 20-30 years ago.

Men must be strong, if they cry or talk about their feelings they are taunted and ostracised. Any suicide that happens will never be reported to a doctor or the Government because it will bring great shame to the family and achieve nothing... Not that they COULD even report it if they wanted to in the majority of situations.

Believing any statistics from places of extreme poverty is folly, it's all guess-work.

Do you seriously think Suicides are accurately reported in 3rd world countries?

So why did you bring them up then?

The WHO are pretty good at what they do. Of course there will be more accurate reporting in developed nations and there’s some developing nations for which they don’t even have stats on suicide, but data like this is usually standardised and a reliable enough source from which to implement health policy, so I’m not going to dismiss it as meaningless.

Youve got to be amazed at the resilience of the human body.
Took a quick look at the height of the Bolte bridge and at a high point estimated the drop to water to be 40metre.
If he fell from there it would take about 2.9sec to contact water and at the moment of impact he would be moving at about 101km/hr.
He is blessed to survive.

Researchers have looked into why anxiety and mood disorders are less prevalent in certain Asian cultures. Some have suggested that a collectivistic orientation is better for mental health. Some have identified a certain serotonin transporter allele that might be at play. I think it’s probably best not to oversimply it and repaint it all from a western paradigm.

Not commenting on Daw’s case in particular as I know nothing of the details of his injuries or prognosis but history is littered with athletes who have suffered career ending, non spinal injuries (Jarryd Allen from the Saints springs to mind immediately along with Matt Egan and Trent Croad).

This thread is also not about you buddy.

Again I ask, what are you on about? This is your only post in this thread. A thread about a man that has jumped off a bridge and your only post is to single me out suggesting I’m making it about me? Show me where I have done that. I find this obscenely offensive. I think you’re a troll account who pops up from time to time to get under people’s skin. This is not the thread for trolls. Mods only need to look at your posting history in correlation to when a certain club fan base is offended.

Not commenting on Daw’s case in particular as I know nothing of the details of his injuries or prognosis but history is littered with athletes who have suffered career ending, non spinal injuries (Jarryd Allen from the Saints springs to mind immediately along with Matt Egan and Trent Croad).

I think the important thing is he may get out with non-life changing injuries and hopefully recover mentally. Who cares about football....

So why did you bring them up then?

The WHO are pretty good at what they do. Of course there will be more accurate reporting in developed nations and there’s some developing nations for which they don’t even have stats on suicide, but data like this is usually standardised and a reliable enough source from which to implement health policy, so I’m not going to dismiss it as meaningless.

I didn't :drunk:.

I've lived in communities where this data comes from, it's entire guess work. These people don't even have birth certificates but the Government is meant to know how many of them commit suicide? Right...

I didn't :drunk:.

I've lived in communities where this data comes from, it's entire guess work. These people don't even have birth certificates but the Government is meant to know how many of them commit suicide? Right...

#539 - a stupid face emoji doesn’t erase you having been the first to introduce WHO statistics.

I’ve also lived years in communities where some this data comes from, worked in development and alongside the WHO. Collecting data is challenging, but “entire guesswork” is just an ignorant generalisation.

There are undoubted gaps in data points, more of which will lead to greater inaccuracy (not only re suicide, but mortality rates in general), but the WHO aren’t blind to this and have sophisticated statistical modelling that aids them in generating more representative estimates. Of course closing these data gaps would improve the accuracy of reporting, but that doesn’t mean you just throw WHO estimates out the window.

Isn't Majak a paid multicultural ambassador?

Yep, but I didn't realise that meant having to insert yourself into the daily political/media cycle.

That is about doing clinics for kids etc, not being a political pundit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back