Make a prediction for the summer

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Basically a thread where predictions are made based on not a lot. Who will debut? Who will stepup in the absence of the sandpaper trio? How will the team go under Langer? Can be as brave or cowardly as you desire.

Here's mine. Chris Tremain will debut, probably on boxing day.

The Indian bowlers will surprise a lot of people.
Be interesting to see how the wickets are, you'd think more bowler friendly as that's our only strength at the moment. First day game at Adelaide in 4 years, Perth an unknown quantity and Melbourne with a new curator so it's hard to say. The Indians would be fancying their chances but they've come here before with better teams than us on paper before and not taken back the chocolates. 2-1 to us as our batting will be better on home pitches and there's no problems with taking the 20 wickets, well 18 as Kohli will get plenty.

Be interesting to see how the wickets are, you'd think more bowler friendly as that's our only strength at the moment. First day game at Adelaide in 4 years, Perth an unknown quantity and Melbourne with a new curator so it's hard to say. The Indians would be fancying their chances but they've come here before with better teams than us on paper before and not taken back the chocolates. 2-1 to us as our batting will be better on home pitches and there's no problems with taking the 20 wickets, well 18 as Kohli will get plenty.

If I was in charge of Australia and could order something to suit my team I’d order flat decks.

There isn’t a single bankable Australian at the moment on juicy pitches. India has one, and I think Shaw is just as likely to thrive on bowler decks as he is on flat ones.

The Indian attack is easily good enough to exploit seaming pitches (as is australia’s). But on flat ones, at home at least, Cummins, Hazlewood and Starc - and Lyon for that matter - have done the job before. India’s has to prove itself in those conditions away from home. I think they are capable, but I think australia’s best chance still lies with dry pitches.

India will lose no more than one test this summer. That’s not to say they won’t lose the series, but the scoreline could be anything from IND 3 - 1 AUS to IND 1 - 1 AUS

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

At least two players will play the first test against Sri Lanka on the back of BBL form because there will have been no Shield cricket in almost two months. F'ing ridiculous for a home series.

You can’t have it both ways though. The only reason the tests are on at that time of year is because people didn’t want top limited overs players to miss out on the important part of the shield season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another one from me is Cam Green will play international cricket if he stays fit.
Yeah I can see CA deciding to give him an ODI or T20 international

Every time Australia lose a match someone will say its because we are too nice.

Even the tiniest incident involving an Australian player will be met with "Australia are still campaigners. I thought they were meant to be nice now?"

Kohli and the Indian bowlers to sledge the absolute crap out of the Australian batsman but the same people who blow up about Australia's sledging to claim its good to see the Indians giving it back.

Justin Langer to contradict himself in regards to selection at least half a dozen times.

We will still have absolutely no idea what our best ODI or T20 side is.

India 2-1 in the tests.
Kohli to make a 300.
Some random will be picked to play a T20I.
Thirty players will represent Australia this summer, including 17 in tests.

Even the tiniest incident involving an Australian player will be met with "Australia are still campaigners. I thought they were meant to be nice now?"

Kohli and the Indian bowlers to sledge the absolute crap out of the Australian batsman but the same people who blow up about Australia's sledging to claim its good to see the Indians giving it back.

Justin Langer to contradict himself in regards to selection at least half a dozen times.

True enough and Kohli is very much the on field prat that Warner is, though less of a cheat.

Well India only have one great batsman and that is their captain, the rest are laughable. They have that young kid Shaw he is good but he is young, as for the bowlers LOL they have nothing.

We have smashed them every time they have come here, they are pathetic away from home a bit like us, we will win the series 2 - 0 again.

I won’t enjoy it if India get lippy. But I would also say it’s not undeserved. India are nearly as bad as Australia with their carry on.

Already the ‘Australia are s**t but hey at least they’re nice now, right’ sarcastic comments are coming out.
People bemoaning how there will be no ‘characters’ left in the game, as though standing at cover repeatedly calling someone ‘f***ing s**t’ was somehow a sign of being a real charismatic individual.

Apparently Australia got to the top because they sledged a lot. Not because they happened to have two amazing bowlers who’s careers ran parallel, the greatest keeper batsman of all time, and half a dozen batsmen who would have walked into any team in the world at a given time.

Well India only have one great batsman and that is their captain, the rest are laughable. They have that young kid Shaw he is good but he is young, as for the bowlers LOL they have nothing.

We have smashed them every time they have come here, they are pathetic away from home a bit like us, we will win the series 2 - 0 again.

Laughable?

Not world beaters, perhaps, but Rahane averages 46 outside of India, Rahul averages 39 - not brilliant but hey, it would get him an opening slot in every side around at the moment bar SA with Markram and Elgar. Pujara is a gun at home, previously fairly meek away but actually played reasonably in a bowler dominated series in England and hit a good hundred.

They went closer to knocking off SA than we did, and anyone who watched their series in England knows it was a shitload closer than 3-1 suggests.
If their batting is laughable, Australia’s at the moment is the spawn of Eddie Murphy and Robin Williams.

We haven’t smashed them every time they’ve come here. In fact last time we hosted them with two stars missing we were lucky to escape with a drawn series.

I don’t like them anymore than the next bloke and it’s true, they’re still to claim a big away scalp.

There isn’t much data aside from relatively unrelated history to suggest that can’t change this summer.

I won’t enjoy it if India get lippy. But I would also say it’s not undeserved. India are nearly as bad as Australia with their carry on.

Already the ‘Australia are s**t but hey at least they’re nice now, right’ sarcastic comments are coming out.
People bemoaning how there will be no ‘characters’ left in the game, as though standing at cover repeatedly calling someone ‘f***ing s**t’ was somehow a sign of being a real charismatic individual.

Apparently Australia got to the top because they sledged a lot. Not because they happened to have two amazing bowlers who’s careers ran parallel, the greatest keeper batsman of all time, and half a dozen batsmen who would have walked into any team in the world at a given time.
There was a flow down effect as well, I went to school with a bloke who was a proper quality batsman but never even got a look in at Shield cricket because of the depth. He played grade for years, a bit of state second XI and would have played state cricket for sure if he was twenty years younger but to even get a chance at f/c level as a batsman in the 90s you had to be something special. James Brayshaw would probably be a walk up start for the Test team if he was playing now.

There was a flow down effect as well, I went to school with a bloke who was a proper quality batsman but never even got a look in at Shield cricket because of the depth. He played grade for years, a bit of state second XI and would have played state cricket for sure if he was twenty years younger but to even get a chance at f/c level as a batsman in the 90s you had to be something special. James Brayshaw would probably be a walk up start for the Test team if he was playing now.

James Brayshaw would be captain of Australia if he were playing now. Batsmen in the 90s had to continue to raise the bar in performance to give themselves any chance of playing 1st class cricket. Now, with the inundation of T20, all they have to do is smash the ball in air for about 20 balls and they can earn a comfortable living from the game. No need to average 50+ these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back