As I posted in the captaincy thread months ago
If we want to win another flag
Make Dusty captain
He would become the undisputed goat if he captains a flag
Hed do everything to make it impossible imo
Don’t get those vibes from Graham

Dusty would inspire us in big moments and be perfect
He or grimes for me

Jack is ready to be our next captain, and he has future premiership captain written all over him. Make it happen RFC.

Jack Graham, that is.

I think Dusty would be a great captain, and I’m sure the players would vote for him if he wanted it, and that there is the crux of the matter, does Dusty want to be captain?

I think Dusty would be a great captain, and I’m sure the players would vote for him if he wanted it, and that there is the crux of the matter, does Dusty want to be captain?

I have no doubt Dusty wants to be the on field Captain - he leads in all the relevant ways there now - but the off-field stuff he simply wouldn't relish with any sort of authenticity - he'd do it - he'd even try and fake it, because he is team man!

I think Grimes is the obvious choice - but, if they wanted to partly reward Dusty and build the legend and legacy (like we have with say Jack Dyer) then Dusty (C) and Jack Graham as (VC) to do the bulk of off field stuff other than the ceremonial Captain stuff!

Last edited:
i still think Jack Graham. Look long term and he can still have the help from some over qualified assistants. I think we will see Graham become our midfield general from next year. I reckon he will thrive on the responsibility. Just let the likes of Dusty, Shedda, Lambert play (they missed a hell of a lot of footy last year)
Is Graham a lock in the 22 every week? As much as I love him, I’m not sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no doubt Dusty wants to be the on field Captain - he leads in all the relevant ways there now - but the off-field stuff he simply wouldn't relish with any sort of authenticity - he'd do it - he'd even try and fake it, because he is team man!

I think Grimes is the obvious choice - but, if they wanted to partly reward Dusty and build the legend and legacy (like we have with say Jack Dyer) then Dusty (C) and Jack Graham as (VC) to do the bulk of off field stuff other than the ceremonial Captain stuff!
Dusty has matured a lot. I think he has the confidence and calm to do the off field stuff. He will just be understated in his approach and let his actions talk. What’s wrong with that? You don’t have to be a chatterbox like Jack to be a good captain, good public speaker or leader. There are many styles

He’s missed games in the past 3 years. He may well be a fixture in the 22 going forward but I’d be giving it to someone who is in the first 5 players penciled in on the team sheet… he ain’t that
Not yet. But he quite often is forced to play a selfless, thankless role and only gets better every year. Hopefully now we can see him have the shackles released more often. He's shown he can be a offensive threat, not just a defensively minded 2 way runner.

He’s missed games in the past 3 years. He may well be a fixture in the 22 going forward but I’d be giving it to someone who is in the first 5 players penciled in on the team sheet… he ain’t that
I think having the teams best player be captain is a bit of a fallacy
Just because someone is a good player doesn't mean they will be a good leader

Look at Ablett Jr at his time at the Gold Coast he was the best player in the entire league at that point but by all accounts a pathetic leader that set the teams culture back a decade by splitting the playing group into factions

Graham is the type of player that embodies leadership and has so since he walked through the doors of the club The fact that he might not be in the top 5 players is a mute point
If he’s the best leader he gets the job

The media obligations really aren't that much these days, it gets spread around a lot between a bunch of players now
Turn up to captains day and do a few extra press conferences
It's not like Dusty isn't always getting asked to do interviews anyway and it's not like he needs to give them much

I think having the teams best player be captain is a bit of a fallacy
Just because someone is a good player doesn't mean they will be a good leader

Look at Ablett Jr at his time at the Gold Coast he was the best player in the entire league at that point but by all accounts a pathetic leader that set the teams culture back a decade by splitting the playing group into factions

Graham is the type of player that embodies leadership and has so since he walked through the doors of the club The fact that he might not be in the top 5 players is a mute point
If he’s the best leader he gets the job
I agree with everything you've said here.
It's just that it's not in my opinion relevant to Martin. Your example of Ablett makes a good point, but Martin's personality is not really similar. There is a lot more 'follow me boys' with Martin.
Personally if not Dusty, then it's Grimes if people have concerns with Dusty's personality for the job.

I agree with everything you've said here.
It's just that it's not in my opinion relevant to Martin. Your example of Ablett makes a good point, but Martin's personality is not really similar. There is a lot more 'follow me boys' with Martin.
Personally if not Dusty, then it's Grimes if people have concerns with Dusty's personality for the job.
Yeah agree mate, I wasn’t trying to say Dusty or Grimes wouldn’t be capable just more the best leader should get the job regardless of name or position played

Wouldn’t be a shock at all if Dusty is our best leader and best player, the campaigner can do anything and his maturity over the past few seasons has really stood out

Here's what I think will go down.

January/February the club announces to the player group that three players have been chosen as the leadership team. (I believe the club likes having leaders covering all three components of the ground, defenders, midfielders and forwards. These three are the generals in those areas) -

Jack Reiwoldt
Dustin Martin (assuming he is all in)
Dylan Grimes

The player group are asked to select from that three, who they choose as their captain. The other two become the vice captains.

When Jack retires in a year or two I think the first player elevated into the group is likely to to be Jack Graham...and so on. Strength in continuity...

Here's what I think will go down.

January/February the club announces to the player group that three players have been chosen as the leadership team. (I believe the club likes having leaders covering all three components of the ground, defenders, midfielders and forwards. These three are the generals in those areas) -

Jack Reiwoldt
Dustin Martin (assuming he is all in)
Dylan Grimes

The player group are asked to select from that three, who they choose as their captain. The other two become the vice captains.

When Jack retires in a year or two I think the first player elevated into the group is likely to to be Jack Graham...and so on. Strength in continuity...
Seems fair and reasonable

I love the premise, but the off field stuff is all part of being captain. The captain is the face of the club.
If Dusty doesn't want to do that, then he simply can't be captain.
I'd love him to agree to it all and be skipper though, but you have to be in 100% or not at all.

cotch did * all last year lel, probably coz he has hated the AFL administration and media since 2020 or even earlier

dusty can do a bit then jiewoldt n graham can whore emselves out for the rest of it

Back