• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smurfin

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
Central Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I imagine if Dusty wanted it, he’d get it but I’m thinking he won’t be a candidate.

My choice is Lynch
If Lynch is the best option, then fair enough.
In general, I don't like the idea of a key forward as Captain. Not much you can do to lead and inspire when your team is having a shocker and the ball doesn't get down your end. I think a captain needs to at least be able to rotate through the midfield to crunch some *ers at a centre bounce and make a statement when needed.
Backline Captain not as much of an issue, but again can be tricky to lift and inspire your midfield when needed if you are not a part of it.

Tiger for ever

Debutant
Jun 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Whether he wants to or not for the sake of team success and harmony Dustin Martin has to be the next captain. Only Trent Cotchin had the standing and relationship with Martin to be his captain. This is Dustin Martin's team, he needs to lead it. Sure, have Jack R and/ or Jack G or whoever as Vice Captains to do media and/ or team maintenance stuff. But come game day only Dustin Martin can lead the current Tiger team to glory.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Whether he wants to or not for the sake of team success and harmony Dustin Martin has to be the next captain. Only Trent Cotchin had the standing and relationship with Martin to be his captain. This is Dustin Martin's team, he needs to lead it. Sure, have Jack R and/ or Jack G or whoever as Vice Captains to do media and/ or team maintenance stuff. But come game day only Dustin Martin can lead the current Tiger team to glory.
onfield brilliance and team leadership are two different things, they can obviously go hand in hand, but it's not a given.

boxxie2022

Cancelled
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond

I’m not sure giving Dusty the captaincy if doesn’t want it, will be a positive thing.

Tiger for ever

Debutant
Jun 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
onfield brilliance and team leadership are two different things, they can obviously go hand in hand, but it's not a given.
Dustin Martin provides more than on field brilliance. He is central to the game plan and orchestrates team wins. Hard to see him effectively playing this role under any other captain aside ftom Trent Cotchin with whom he has a unique relationship and Trent himself has the standing of multiple premiership captain, brownlow medallist and (fading) match winner. Impossible ro replace Trent Cotchin, and stand in his shoes. Currently only Dustin Martin himself is a big enough presence to galvanise and lead the group to team success.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Dustin Martin provides more than on field brilliance. He is central to the game plan and orchestrates team wins. Hard to see him effectively playing this role under any other captain aside ftom Trent Cotchin with whom he has a unique relationship and Trent himself has the standing of multiple premiership captain, brownlow medallist and (fading) match winner. Impossible ro replace Trent Cotchin, and stand in his shoes. Currently only Dustin Martin himself is a big enough presence to galvanise and lead the group to team success.
Agree all the way to your last point. Although I am on Dusty bandwagon, Grimes would also be a great Capt imo.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
So are you saying, Dusty is so simple minded he will only play his best footy under two people, either Trent or himself?

So basically you're calling him a sook who will throw the toys out of the cot if he doesn't get the Captaincy (given TC has stepped away).

If we need to destroy the Richmond Man culture we have built just to keep Dusty happy, then he doesn't deserve to be Captain in the first place

For the record, I think this is a terrible POV and don't think Dusty is like that at all.

boxxie2022

Cancelled
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
So are you saying, Dusty is so simple minded he will only play his best footy under two people, either Trent or himself?

So basically you're calling him a sook who will throw the toys out of the cot if he doesn't get the Captaincy (given TC has stepped away).

If we need to destroy the Richmond Man culture we have built just to keep Dusty happy, then he doesn't deserve to be Captain in the first place

For the record, I think this is a terrible POV and don't think Dusty is like that at all.
It was a shocking take

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Think your underestimating Shedda's standing within the group.
Every player wore #10 on their warmup shirt when we played in the dream time match in Darwin while stuck in Melb.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Is Jack Graham captain yet?

partycorolla

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Black Rock
AFL Club
Richmond
Haven't actually read the thread or the arguments for or against. I wouldn't burden him with it. He is going to lead by example regardless. Let him do that. Unless he has a burning desire to lead and/or it gives him something to focus after the unfortunate passing of his father, in which case give it to him. He needs to want it though. If you have to talk him in to it, then it shouldn't be him.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
No. There's more than one option.
Being an onfield great doesn't necessarily mean he's the only choice.

Let's face it, he would not enjoy the off field media stuff, and the off field behind the scenes stuff with sponsors, coterie groups, etc. That stuff would be even more part of his life if he was captain.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
If Lynch is the best option, then fair enough.
In general, I don't like the idea of a key forward as Captain. Not much you can do to lead and inspire when your team is having a shocker and the ball doesn't get down your end. I think a captain needs to at least be able to rotate through the midfield to crunch some f***ers at a centre bounce and make a statement when needed.
Backline Captain not as much of an issue, but again can be tricky to lift and inspire your midfield when needed if you are not a part of it.
Lynchy would surprise , more likely part of leadership group
My book would be
Grimes 2-1
Jack g 4-1
Edwards 7-1
Lynch 10-1
Others > 10-1

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Let's face it, he would not enjoy the off field media stuff, and the off field behind the scenes stuff with sponsors, coterie groups, etc.
You've spoken to him about this? He is a different person to the young Dustin Martin. He works hard with his own sponsorships and investments. Perhaps he is looking for this next challenge as part of his development. He's obviously a very motivated individual.

Jack5

Cancelled
Richmond Tigers - Josh Gibcus Player Sponsor 2022 Richmond Tigers - Kamdyn McIntosh Player Sponsor 2022
Sep 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Seeing all the debate about who should be captain makes it stand out what a great captain Cotch was. Fearless at the contest and the man when required, self sacrificing, articulate, good with the media and perfect hair.

I don't see why we can't have a game day captain and an off field one. Dusty and Grimes would be my vote. We won flags by playing to our strengths and excelling at them rather than trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Seeing all the debate about who should be captain makes it stand out what a great captain Cotch was. Fearless at the contest and the man when required, self sacrificing, articulate, good with the media and perfect hair.

I don't see why we can't have a game day captain and an off field one. Dusty and Grimes would be my vote. We won flags by playing to our strengths and excelling at them rather than trying to fit square pegs in round holes.
Why wouldn't Grimes fit the mould on his own?

Back