Make or Break 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Tambo

Premiership Player
Aug 20, 2004
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Apologies in advance, if this has already been discussed.

This season, is the first season in a while where there are so many players must save their careers. Ben Lennon got me thinking, then I realised the HUGE number of players also in this bracket.

Could the improvement of a huge number of fringe-average players push us back into finals? Would the pressure from the depth would ensure the regular guys work harder to maintain their spots in the 22?

I have put forward a number of players who I believe are in this category and am keen to hear the thoughts of other Tiger fans.

Ben Lennon
Jake Batchelor
Jacob Townsend
Kane Lambert
Taylor Hunt
Nathan Broad
Steven Morris
Daniel Butler
Todd Elton

All the above guys are out of contract.

Ivan Maric you'd think would finish out this season.
I have left the rookies out as I consider them project players EG Soldo, Moore, Chol etc

Chris Yarran is still on the list but has obviously agreed to part ways.

Last season, Sam Lloyd would have been on this list. Took his game to another level and extended his career.

I have bolded three guys on our list who the club would benefit most from a turn around or heavily improved season.

Lennon has the talent and is bringing a work ethic to his pre-season. I don't like the guy much with his attitude and pondering a trade 2 seasons in a row. However of the above list, he has the most talent. If he can utilise his skills, along with his newly found 'work ethic' we may have a player who will earn a spot in the 22. He might start enjoying his footy with an extra confidence booster.

Broad
has been a average so far. He's a new recruit, but is mature aged and should kick off quicker. However lets not forget how many fans wrote off Rance in his early days. Rance was always lost and constantly turning the footy over under pressure. We all know how well he turned out. We need Broad to break out. If any of Rance, Astbury or Grimes goes down our next in line is Batchelor. I'd rather Broad become next in line but not at his current standard, he is so far off its not funny. Hence the importance of a huge turn around.

Eltons importance to the team is critical. If any one of our Big forwards or key defence injure we are in strife. Sure we have other options, but they are minimal. A big step up from a KPP, even as a back up, is much more beneficial to the club. Players such as Lambert, Hunt, Townsend, Butler we have plenty of however minimal KPP's highlights Elton's importance. Don't be surprised if even after another 'ok' season he scores another contract.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are, from the players you provided, making room on the list for new recruits at the end of this season will be an easy job.

My thoughts exactly. Yarran gone and Maric most likely gone. That's 2, with 9 other guys I listed.

4-6 of the guys I listed will still be on the list next season. Broad and Elton may save themselves automatically being player types we are short on.

Townsend and Hunt are 0 chance to get a new contract.
Elton, seems to be McBean 2.0

Morris is a bit tricky as he comes back from an ACL around Rd. 11, it's hard to see him getting a contract based on 11 games on top of having to work his way back into the team but clubs in general tend not to be harsh on players coming back from such an injury - would not be surprised if he gets moved to the rookie list to be depth in worst case scenario 2018 onwards

Broad has only played 2 games and needs to play 8-10 games and show something in those games to get a new contract

Could even add blokes like Ben Griffiths & Both Ellis'. Whilst not Fringe players they really need to step up this season and move on from C+/B grade efforts for us to succeed

Now or Never
Lennon
-Well documented.Ball is in his court.Position open with Lids gone.
Elton-Similar to Lennon.With Vickery gone and our Tall depth not that great when he does get that oppotunity he has to take it.
Bachelor-Seems to be on the outer.
Townsend-Dan Jackson started off exactly the same way.But i doubt we have the patience that was afforded to Whacko Jacko.

Thin Ice
B.Ellis-Another sub par year would see him put up for trade.
Conca-He may have re-signed for 2yrs but another injury riddled year may see him out.Needs to stay on the park.
Morris-Will be starting from way back.Would need to do something big in the 2nd half of the year.
Hunt-Perhaps a new role to be found,Otherwise can,t see him surviving.
Lambert-Puts in a good game every now and again that saves him.Need a bit more from to survive i think.

Buy a Tatts Ticket
Hampson
-Our lack of Ruck depth saves his bacon.

Just a couple of quickies...

Butler was a lot more important before the last draft, now looks in trouble
Elton - Just can not see him suddenly finding AFL form, (may be partially due to how we have 'developed' him but still....)
Batchelor - I thought he had a role a couple of years ago (the round 24 game v Sydney he was very very solid) - now not sure who he would displace and why... too one paced
Morris - reckon he might still be a value proposition at his best as a scragging type, small defender but only if he regains his best fitness and form.

Ben Lennon
Jake Batchelor
Jacob Townsend
Kane Lambert
Taylor Hunt
Nathan Broad
Steven Morris
Daniel Butler
Todd Elton
Apart from Lennon and Hunt the rest could go and no one would notice.

Todd Elton is the luckiest list clogger of all time, been on the list since 2011 (AFL Draft 1st round selection (Richmond) No. 26 overall http://www.richmondfc.com.au/player-profile/todd-elton).

He is like Conca in that if he was not drafted so high; he would not be on the list at all.

Total contribution to the RFC bugger all.

Wouldn't be so sure about Hunt. Has played 39 of a possible 45 games since coming to the club. Another one of Hardwicks love child's.

Speaking of blokes that 2017 is make or break for... Hello Damien Hardwick
Hunt was brought in to only be depth, which goes to show how ****ed we've been with injuries to that position of the ground

Townsend and Hunt are 0 chance to get a new contract.
Elton, seems to be McBean 2.0

Morris is a bit tricky as he comes back from an ACL around Rd. 11, it's hard to see him getting a contract based on 11 games on top of having to work his way back into the team but clubs in general tend not to be harsh on players coming back from such an injury - would not be surprised if he gets moved to the rookie list to be depth in worst case scenario 2018 onwards

Broad has only played 2 games and needs to play 8-10 games and show something in those games to get a new contract

GIVEN Elton has been there two years longer than McBean, shouldn't McBean be Elton Mark II?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Hunt is a coaches favourite though - dunno why.

I think the reason is probably that Hunt shows a high level of professionalism, trains hard and does everything the coaches ask (in particular listens).

When you have young blokes like Lennon, McBean... who think they know best you can see why coaches have no problem overlooking them for players more willing to do what they are told.

Elton must be seen as having a better chance to take the next step, if he fails he becomes the next McBean in not being able to take the next step
Or the next Jayden Post, Richard Lounder, Ben Marsh, Dean Limbach, Shane Morrison, Kent Kingsley etc.

I personally think a fit Morris is a defensive asset. He is a great lock down small defender and was one of very few players last year who was breaking lines and moving the ball out of defence before his injury.

Did his whipping boy status start after the failed small forward experiment? If so, that's not really fair..

Of the players you listed, my thoughts....

Ben Lennon - just needs to grow a set of cojones!! With Lids gone, if he REALLY wants it, its there. There are no road blocks. Needs to improve first 20m speed and just get some mongrel. If he does, he will stay first 22, and IMO will stay. Obviously skilled.
Jake Batchelor - Thin Ice. Can play. Get a haircut. Either him or Broad will survive, I tip Jake.
Jacob Townsend - gone. Obsolete with Caddy/Prestia/Graham
Kane Lambert - Has a bit more to offer than Towno and Hunt, he stays, as depth (lel)
Taylor Hunt - gone. See Towno.
Nathan Broad - don't think he cuts it at AFL level, was a strange selection to start with. Jake stays, Nafe goes.
Steven Morris - love his passion, and appetite for contest (wish we could transplant THAT into a Lennon type) IF he recovers, a 2nd 22 depth/cover. But likely gone.
Daniel Butler - too many similar players will be ahead of him at years end. Reckon he can play, but gone.
Todd Elton - really has a chance this year to cement a spot. Don't think he is up to it.

Did his whipping boy status start after the failed small forward experiment? If so, that's not really fair..

It did start after that failed experiment and that exercise sent him backwards.
He was starting to play some much better football late season and it would not surprise to see him ahead of Hunt and Short for a back pocket gig.

I'm still optimistic about Lennon. I think with our medium forward stocks limited and that noone wanted to trade for him gives him the kick in the *ss he needed. It might not, but the positions there and if its true they're testing him to have some midfield time, he has the foot skills, its whether he has the hardness and tank to make a difference there but i wouldn't mind him kicking it to our forwards.

As for Hunt, I've always been a critic. Workhorse yeah, but doesn't love being pressured and his disposals are affected by it. I think if our game plan does speed up with our ball movement being a priority, he'll be a liability on the field.

Ben Lennon lazy thinks he is king dick piss him off if he doesn't pull his finger out
Jake Batchelor spud delist
Jacob Townsend spud delist
Kane Lambert spud delist
Taylor Hunt keep for depth
Nathan Broad spud delist
Steven Morris keep for depth
Daniel Butler delist
Todd Elton worst player on the list should of been delisted 3 years ago

Remove this Banner Ad

Back