Make or Break 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

We have so many young talented players that could step up. If we get 4/5 improve to AFL level then the team is soooo much better automatically. If, e.g., Menadue and Markov step right up we have a huge run and carry boost, CEllis can play midfield consistently significantly improves our footskills, and Rioli improving create s genuine small forward threat. Even just becoming B graders would almost transform the side by adding depth and new strings to our bow.

Losing Lids and TV for Prestia, Caddy and Nanks looks like a win to me.

Lids is a huge out. But Caddy is a mid/forward and given his similarity to Dusty we can have that monster inside mid and medium forward 100% of the game. That creates a structure we haven't had that alone almost compensates for Lids. What we then miss is Lids run and carry. Markov, Menadue, Short, Rioli (hopefully) create that capability. And to add to that adding inside mids in Prestia, Caddy, and Vlastuin, with Graham hopefully stepping in as well frees up Cotch and Dusty to go outside more. That should cover Lids, if all goes OK.

TV isn't much of a loss on his 2016 form. However Griff has to improve from sort of Ok to AFL standard. Also the addition of Caddy creates the ability to always have Dusty/Caddy as a strong medium forward that partly replaces TV. If Lennon gets going and can play the mid forward well (even if that all) then have a more flexible forward line to replace TV. His tall marking role is replaced by multiple good marking mediums + Griff being freed up. That direct replacement of Ty isn't all that amazing. However, if we bring in a lot of good small forwards (Lloyd, Rioli, Sheds) and freed up goal scoring mids (Cotch, Prestia, Conca (if fit)) then we are more potent.

That leaves Nanks. I hope he steps up. But expect him to be a minor role player in 2017. Hampster to be No 1, and do a fairly decent job. Nankervis to play second fiddle, chopping out Hampson to rest and playing forward at times. He adds flexibility and depth whilst he steps into the No 1 spot in 2019 (2018 would be great though).

Im on the game plan train.
Bring back the fast attacking footy we played 3 seasons ago that Dimma didnt think could win a final.
Some tackling too would go a long way to improving us.
'13 game plan with some extra tackling mindset & we'll be pretty hard to beat, even for some top sides.
also, given our lack of tall fwds it looks as tho we'll have to go back to playing Jack as a permanent fwd this year which is great.

Last edited:

As a result of unnecessary thread merging, I don't know where this, seperate discussion stared...regardless,
I agree with the consensus, that we won't be improving in any ways enough to better on last year.
It's musical chairs.
Losing Lids - as if that's not going to hurt us.
Caddy mk 2 Hunt.
Prestia - broken

And dare I suggest we will miss Vickerys minimal contribution of goals.

As a result of unnecessary thread merging, I don't know where this, seperate discussion stared...regardless,
I agree with the consensus, that we won't be improving in any ways enough to better on last year.
It's musical chairs.
Caddy mk 2 Hunt.
Prestia - broken

Consensus? This is pre-season where we bright siders come out.
And I for one won't miss Vickery's minimal contributions...

It's musical chairs.
Caddy mk 2 Hunt.
Prestia - broken

Tend to agree.
Dud Vickery or Dud Griffiths Both have been horrible.Unfortunately as far as kpf goes, outside of JR there now is only Griffiths anywhere near the level.
We did absolutely nothing to address this area again.

Yep everyone talks down the loss of Lids. FFS he was one of just 4 elite players we had, and he out performed most on the list in an injury riddled year.

I think Prestia if fit and he stays fit off sets the loss of Brett to some degree, after all we only had Brett for half a season this yr.One thing for sure though he is no Deledio.

I think Prestia gives us some genuine inside grunt something badly needed and is a bloke who is proven and showed he can play to a high standard at the level .Of course staying on the park is a must.While i did not want this trade, wanted to go to the ND, i think we got a decent player for once as long as prestia plays.

We took Nankervis but he is a kid still and has not performed anywhere near the level yet.
Caddy is the only real gain and he imo is an average player so far, at 24 im asking how much improvement is left.

Is this really enough to vastly improve on last year. Honest answer is probably not.

It is in all likelyhood going to be mostly more of the same old same olds and that will mean more middle of the table finisheswith the long term falling further behind.

Tend to agree.
Dud Vickery or Dud Griffiths Both have been horrible.Unfortunately as far as kpf goes, outside of JR there now is only Griffiths anywhere near the level.

Yep everyone talks down the loss of Lids. FFS he was one of just 4 elite players we had, and he out performed most on the list in an injury riddled year.

I think Prestia if fit and he stays fit off sets the loss of Brett to some degree, after all we only had Brett for half a season this yr.One thing for sure though he is no Deledio.

I think Prestia gives us some genuine inside grunt something badly needed and is a bloke who is proven and showed he can play to a high standard at the level .Of course staying on the park is a must.While i did not want this trade, wanted to go to the ND, i think we got a decent player for once as long as prestia plays.

We took Nankervis but he is a kid still and has not performed anywhere near the level yet.
Caddy is the only real gain and he imo is an average player so far, at 24 im asking how much improvement is left.

Is this really enough to vastly improve on last year. Honest answer is probably not.

It is in all likelyhood going to be mostly more of the same old same olds and that will mean more middle of the table finisheswith the long term falling further behind.

Good analysis. Mirrors my thoughts exactly re Caddy, Prestia and Lids.

Tend to agree.

It's ironic how, an injury prone player like Prestia will offset the position of an injured Lds.
Not a dig at you but rather the club's thinking.
I'm not confident in him or Caddyshack.
Then there's the forward 50. Oy vey.

It's ironic how, an injury prone player like Prestia will offset the position of an injured Lds.

that is because you aren't confident in anything.

The RFC has effected you way too much.. go outside more

Ruck?

Forward?

Back?

I dare you.

to answer your question though

Ruck? I do hope (but won't hold my breath) on seeing more improvement from Hampson, Nankervis should be able to make some decent impact, but won't expect too much from him.

Forward KPP is obviously thin but I think this is Griffs last chance to actually make something of himself before we concede he is just another player on the long list of Richmond duds, same with Astbury in the backline really.. But those two players coming good will make the world of difference.

and then obviously the midfield. Increased depth, especially on the inside....

feel like i'm just repeating s**t here, pretty sure this has all been said before lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ppl are down re: Astbury but if he can get a full pre-season in & get back to his '14 pre injury form he & Rance are just about the best 1-2 KPB combo in the comp. if not then certainly in the discussion.
as for Griff we'd be hoping he can step up as Vickery isn't there to help out & he needs to make the fwd line his own along with Jack.

We have so many young talented players that could step up. If we get 4/5 improve to AFL level then the team is soooo much better automatically. If, e.g., Menadue and Markov step right up we have a huge run and carry boost, CEllis can play midfield consistently significantly improves our footskills, and Rioli improving create s genuine small forward threat.
Could and if being the operative words.

You could argue either way that a lot of players are lucky to still be on the list or that there is a decent upside/future to a lot of the players. Either way, this season will be very telling for the whole club.

Could and if being the operative words.

You could argue either way that a lot of players are lucky to still be on the list or that there is a decent upside/future to a lot of the players. Either way, this season will be very telling for the whole club.
The additional point to this is there are 17 other teams saying and hoping exactly the same thing.

Yep! I've been chuckling all the way through various threads involving Lids and how many think he's no loss becuase he's injury prone.
Truth is Lids could have played at the end of the year, the club put him in cotton wool.
For all his injuries, he still played more games than Prestia.
Not only us, but Hawthorn as well, are taking huge risks counting on a pai of blokes like Prestia and O'Meara who are so injury prone.

Yep! I've been chuckling all the way through various threads involving Lids and how many think he's no loss becuase he's injury prone.
Truth is Lids could have played at the end of the year, the club put him in cotton wool.
For all his injuries, he still played more games than Prestia.
Not only us, but Hawthorn as well, are taking huge risks counting on a pai of blokes like Prestia and O'Meara who are so injury prone.
Is Prestia really all that injury prone. Same injury for two years probably indicates that it wasn't fixed right the first time. Plenty of players have a spell of the same injury causing problems (see Lids).
He played 17 games in his first year, (good) 14 in his second,(average) 20 & 22 in the next two and had knee troubles the next two.
On the Gold Coast website:
'Dion Prestia was a paragon of consistency in the opening eight rounds of 2015 before he succumbed to a season ending knee injury late against Collingwood.
The ball magnet had been at his accumulating best in the first third of the season, and was clearly heading for yet another prolific year. Prior to injury, the 23-year-old was averaging the second most clearances in the AFL behind Fremantle’s Nat Fyfe.'
Worth the risk I think.

Is Prestia really all that injury prone. Same injury for two years probably indicates that it wasn't fixed right the first time. Plenty of players have a spell of the same injury causing problems (see Lids).
He played 17 games in his first year, (good) 14 in his second,(average) 20 & 22 in the next two and had knee troubles the next two.
On the Gold Coast website:
'Dion Prestia was a paragon of consistency in the opening eight rounds of 2015 before he succumbed to a season ending knee injury late against Collingwood.
The ball magnet had been at his accumulating best in the first third of the season, and was clearly heading for yet another prolific year. Prior to injury, the 23-year-old was averaging the second most clearances in the AFL behind Fremantle’s Nat Fyfe.'
Worth the risk I think.
GC's medical staff dont exactly inspire much confidence either, with the rumours surrounding O'Meara and Swallow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back