Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
Interesting. For some reason I thought the AO memberships went to the SACA

No, the SACA signed away their rights to the ground.

That's why it had to go out to be voted for by the SACA members because they had to relinquish control over the ground in order for this to happen.

It's technically run by the SMA, which is basically a conglomerate of the SANFL and SACA that oversees everything.

The SACA has exclusive use of the oval and the revenue during cricket season whereas the SANFL has it during winter/footy season.

Haggas

Team Captain
May 27, 2023
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've always thought for the most SANFL to become more relevant in this era it needs to move/remove the weaker clubs and either bring in promotion relegation or have a Hills team/Victor Harbor/ Mount Gambier type teams to appeal to the masses.

Or have Norwood, Centrals, South and the Eagles (that covers each area, but happy to debate which teams )approach a breakaway group of the VFL and set-up a southern league

In my opinion, SANFL in its current form really has lost its relevance

Yeah I agree it’s not 1910 anymore and all the teams need to be in the Adelaide area. Expand it out and bring in some big country towns and make it a promotion/relegation system

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
Yeah I agree it’s not 1910 anymore and all the teams need to be in the Adelaide area. Expand it out and bring in some big country towns and make it a promotion/relegation system

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If AFL clubs are struggling to remain viable and SANFL clubs are too I doubt that country/ammo clubs are are viable in a promotion/relegation competition

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
It depends how you look at things.

SANFL fans complain about the Crows/Port/AFL etc, but never seem to acknowledge that the SANFL is now largely funded by AFL generated revenue.

The SANFL are making millions a year from stadium revenue and I have only been able to find info from 2018, but from what I can find they apparently made 12 million dollars from Adelaide Oval revenue for that year. If those numbers are right then based on the SANFL's total revenue for 2018 it works out that both clubs appear to contribute roughly between 35-40% of the SANFL's total revenue via Adelaide Oval generated revenue. That's a huge chunk and yet SANFL supporters act like both clubs are a scourge on the league, whereas it's actually the other way around.

You take that source of revenue out of the equation and the league just wouldn't exist in the form that it's currently in.
The AFC has funded the SANFL since 1991.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

whattagun07

Journeyman
May 8, 2007
Eddie Betts Pocket
AFL Club
Adelaide
Born in 88, my only memories are of t he crows, so SANFL has never really been my go. I don't really watch SANFL besides the odd crows televised games, but a couple of ideas;

- consider more rule changes to speed up the games and increase the scoring. Last touch is a great start, but what more can be done? Do they do 6-6-6?

- push social media presence hard. Market it more to youth.

- look to LIV golf and Big Bash for ideas to make it more 'fun'.

Tough in the depths of July out at the ponderosa or in a blizzard at noarlunga though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back