Team Mgmt. Makeup of our team II - Strengths & deficiencies, player development

Remove this Banner Ad

Merrett off the half back is crazy talk, he’s our best mid!

Why not give Tsatas a run back there? Has an excellent burst of speed and might give him an opportunity to build some confidence and play with a bit of natural flair not unlike Daicos/Sheezel over the last two years.

Merrett off the half back is crazy talk, he’s our best mid!

Why not give Tsatas a run back there? Has an excellent burst of speed and might give him an opportunity to build some confidence and play with a bit of natural flair not unlike Daicos/Sheezel over the last two years.

Tsatas has a different skill set than those two, he’s not really suited to half back.

Merrett off half back would be more like Hodge off half back - directing traffic and controlling the game with the ability to push up and plug holes. It’s a very likely thing to happen long term as his best asset is his kicking not his clearance work, so let the other guys wear the impact doing that whilst letting Zach seagull off the pack.

Given Daicos and JHF’s physical readiness as mids in yr2 I’m hopeful that Tsatas manages to solidify himself in the rotation this season.

Starting mids Merrett, Parish, Setterfield
Bench: Hobbs/Tsatas
HF who push up Stringer/Perkins/Caldwell.

That’s a pretty good looking mid group, problem is there are 0 AFL capable mids in the VFL behind them on the list.

That’s why I’m hoping Essendon hit the draft. Take 3 mids/flankers in the 10-20 range and actually have depth developing behind this group.

I like the development profile of the forward line and tall backs for the most part, just need some fast midsize players with good skills.

Small defender 1 - Andrew McGrath (****?)

Get us more kickers and his deficiencies will be hidden away better but the lack of these ensures McGrath needs to run and carry. Let him do what he does best and that is shut down the best small forwards in the competition.

Key defender 1 - Ben Mckay (Lewis Hayes)

Am excited about this acquisition now, a genuine KPP who can stand the Oscar Allens, the Tom Hawkins who have rag dolled us for years. May not be a top, top key back but a huge (size wise) upgrade on what we have. IF we can improve the midfield and team defence then we may see him as a top echelon defender. Already (Apparently) and exceptional interceptor.

Small defender 2- Jordan Ridley (Kaine Baldwin)

I like him in a bak pocket, allows him to read the ball and intercept alongside McKay and distribute from the last line with good decision making and sublime skills. Hard to believe he is only 24 and played a mere 85 games. 1 goal?! HOLY CRAP

Running defender 1 - Mason Redman (Dyson Heppel)

A real break through year for Mason building on that promise he'd shown the previous 18 months. Putting it all together and now entering his prime. Back it up and he will be on his way to joining the elite. A huge key to us moving forward.

Key defender 2 - Jayden Laverde (Kaine Baldwin/Zac Reid)

Unpopular opinion but feel Laverde is the incumbent second key defender and therefor gets 1st crack at CHB. Baldwin nipping at his heels is good and McKay possible to move out to CHB. Finally getting some continuity for Laverde. Could we see a positional change and shift him back fwd in 2024?

Running defender 2 - Nic Hind (Sam Durham? / ****)

Similar to Laverde, he is the incumbent unless someone comes from the clouds over pre season. Finding another running defender needs to be a priority with Redman, Hind with Heppell as depth.

7th defender / bench option - Dyson Heppell (Sam Durham?)

I think Heppell is given first opportunity, did have a decent year despite the howlers people focus on. Finding a second replacement for this position is a must this off season. If it comes from within or not but needs to happen.

Notes
  • Finding one, or ideally two small defenders needs to happen. Runners who can kick should be a priority via the draft as we have none under 21 on the list now that Massimo has requested a trade.
  • I really like the idea of Durham being given a chance at half back. Has all the tools to play the role, would need to improve his focus but has the physical attributes to play it and do well.
  • Outside McGrath, we have no lock down defenders, would like to see what is in the draft or if we do look internally for this to develop at the lower level.
  • Reading the back 6 (7), getting Ben McKay significantly improves how we read on paper, frees up Ridley to both distribute as well as intercept. If Baldwin comes on further then we have the option to move McKay to CHB and slot Kaine in at FB and not lose much.

On paper

Backline; Andrew McGrath - Ben McKay - Jordan Ridley
Halfback; Mason Redman - Jayden Laverde - Nick Hind
7th def; ; Dyson Heppell

did similar post for the back line so he's my forward line for round 1, 2024 with what we know to be incoming

Small forward 1- Jade Gresham (Tex, Alwyn, Menzies)

The more I think about it, the more I actually don't mind it. May be an upgrade on Snelling or could push out Guelfi with Stringer playing more I50. At his best could kick 30 goals as a small fwd is a decent result.

Key forward 1 - Peter Wright (Ruckman)

Self explanatory, leads the line, in his peak. Still kicked 19 goals from 10 games.

Smalll forward 2 - Kyle Langford (Matt Guelfi)

Not so much a small forward but we not what he can do inside 50. Hopefully he can back up his break out campaign in 2024. Genuine star now.

Half forward 1 - Jake Stringer (****)

Not sure if he does start here but still one of our most impactful going inside 50. IF he can play 15 games that'd be a huge. I like him and want him to succeed in our last push for finals before he does retire. Turning 30 in April

Key Forward 2 - Harry Jones* (****)

Who the f knows. Harry Jones should be first choice but simply can't stay on the park and when on the park, not coming on as much as he should be.

Half Forward 2 - Archie Perkins (resting mid)

Incumbent and started showing good signs. Had a sneaky good year af 15.3 possessions and 0.8 goals a game. 3.6 I50's need to be turned into more goals (dump kicks, ****!).

7th fwd / resting mid - Raffle this with Hobbs, Caldwell, Tsatas who could all play this role

Notes
  • No kids under 22 developing apart from Perkins as a medium marking fwd flanker.
  • Lots of small fwds in reserve now (Tex, Davey, Davey, Menzie)
  • Resting mids are starting to pad out as options fwd (Hobbs, Caldwell, Tsatas, Perkins, Stringer)
  • No young key forward depth.
  • We do like to play two rucks so unsure how we start on paper without unbalancing the side.
  • Need more marking power out of our smalls. Only Guelfi as a genuine aerially threat such is my preference of him over Menzies, Tex, Davey x 2.

On Paper

Forward line; Jade Gresham - Peter Wright - Kyle Langford
Half forward line; Jake Stringer - Harry Jones - Archie Perkins
7th fwd; resting mid

did similar post for the back line so he's my forward line for round 1, 2024 with what we know to be incoming

Small forward 1- Jade Gresham (Tex, Alwyn, Menzies)

The more I think about it, the more I actually don't mind it. May be an upgrade on Snelling or could push out Guelfi with Stringer playing more I50. At his best could kick 30 goals as a small fwd is a decent result.

Key forward 1 - Peter Wright (Ruckman)

Self explanatory, leads the line, in his peak. Still kicked 19 goals from 10 games.

Smalll forward 2 - Kyle Langford (Matt Guelfi)

Not so much a small forward but we not what he can do inside 50. Hopefully he can back up his break out campaign in 2024. Genuine star now.

Half forward 1 - Jake Stringer (****)

Not sure if he does start here but still one of our most impactful going inside 50. IF he can play 15 games that'd be a huge. I like him and want him to succeed in our last push for finals before he does retire. Turning 30 in April

Key Forward 2 - Harry Jones* (****)

Who the f knows. Harry Jones should be first choice but simply can't stay on the park and when on the park, not coming on as much as he should be.

Half Forward 2 - Archie Perkins (resting mid)

Incumbent and started showing good signs. Had a sneaky good year af 15.3 possessions and 0.8 goals a game. 3.6 I50's need to be turned into more goals (dump kicks, ****!).

7th fwd / resting mid - Raffle this with Hobbs, Caldwell, Tsatas who could all play this role

Notes
  • No kids under 22 developing apart from Perkins as a medium marking fwd flanker.
  • Lots of small fwds in reserve now (Tex, Davey, Davey, Menzie)
  • Resting mids are starting to pad out as options fwd (Hobbs, Caldwell, Tsatas, Perkins, Stringer)
  • No young key forward depth.
  • We do like to play two rucks so unsure how we start on paper without unbalancing the side.
  • Need more marking power out of our smalls. Only Guelfi as a genuine aerially threat such is my preference of him over Menzies, Tex, Davey x 2.

On Paper

Forward line; Jade Gresham - Peter Wright - Kyle Langford
Half forward line; Jake Stringer - Harry Jones - Archie Perkins
7th fwd; resting mid
That's way too big and slow.

Small defender 1 - Andrew McGrath (****?)

Get us more kickers and his deficiencies will be hidden away better but the lack of these ensures McGrath needs to run and carry. Let him do what he does best and that is shut down the best small forwards in the competition.

Key defender 1 - Ben Mckay (Lewis Hayes)

Am excited about this acquisition now, a genuine KPP who can stand the Oscar Allens, the Tom Hawkins who have rag dolled us for years. May not be a top, top key back but a huge (size wise) upgrade on what we have. IF we can improve the midfield and team defence then we may see him as a top echelon defender. Already (Apparently) and exceptional interceptor.

Small defender 2- Jordan Ridley (Kaine Baldwin)

I like him in a bak pocket, allows him to read the ball and intercept alongside McKay and distribute from the last line with good decision making and sublime skills. Hard to believe he is only 24 and played a mere 85 games. 1 goal?! HOLY CRAP

Running defender 1 - Mason Redman (Dyson Heppel)

A real break through year for Mason building on that promise he'd shown the previous 18 months. Putting it all together and now entering his prime. Back it up and he will be on his way to joining the elite. A huge key to us moving forward.

Key defender 2 - Jayden Laverde (Kaine Baldwin/Zac Reid)

Unpopular opinion but feel Laverde is the incumbent second key defender and therefor gets 1st crack at CHB. Baldwin nipping at his heels is good and McKay possible to move out to CHB. Finally getting some continuity for Laverde. Could we see a positional change and shift him back fwd in 2024?

Running defender 2 - Nic Hind (Sam Durham? / ****)

Similar to Laverde, he is the incumbent unless someone comes from the clouds over pre season. Finding another running defender needs to be a priority with Redman, Hind with Heppell as depth.

7th defender / bench option - Dyson Heppell (Sam Durham?)

I think Heppell is given first opportunity, did have a decent year despite the howlers people focus on. Finding a second replacement for this position is a must this off season. If it comes from within or not but needs to happen.

Notes
  • Finding one, or ideally two small defenders needs to happen. Runners who can kick should be a priority via the draft as we have none under 21 on the list now that Massimo has requested a trade.
  • I really like the idea of Durham being given a chance at half back. Has all the tools to play the role, would need to improve his focus but has the physical attributes to play it and do well.
  • Outside McGrath, we have no lock down defenders, would like to see what is in the draft or if we do look internally for this to develop at the lower level.
  • Reading the back 6 (7), getting Ben McKay significantly improves how we read on paper, frees up Ridley to both distribute as well as intercept. If Baldwin comes on further then we have the option to move McKay to CHB and slot Kaine in at FB and not lose much.

On paper

Backline; Andrew McGrath - Ben McKay - Jordan Ridley
Halfback; Mason Redman - Jayden Laverde - Nick Hind
7th def; ; Dyson Heppell
Yeah, the sooner Kaine Baldwin is in that 6 the better.

His ability to distribute is clear now. Should be CHB alongside Ridley. McKay at FB for me. Duursma and Cox competing for the Heppell role. Durham stays on a wing, unless he and Duursma become part of a rotation.

I get the sense Nik Cox could end up as trade bait by the end of '24 if he doesn't lift.

One thing I thought was interesting about the GF is both brisbane and Collingwood tended to have their Tall defenders on the Small Forwards just by guarding deep space and their taller forwards higher up the ground as wing/marking options.

If Essendon were to do something similar I wonder what that would look like

CHF Caldwell Wright Stringer
FF Gresham Langford Perkins

Think one of Caldwell/Hobbs is staying as a small HF.

Moving forward with what we know who is coming in over the off season and outgoing.

Wingman 1 - Nic Martin (Elijah Tsatas cause we do dumb s**t)

Genuine star, undersold outside Essenond but one of the best distributors in the league. A goal a game and the metres gained is immeasurable

Centre - Zac Merret (Ben Hobbs)

Star, Captain, enough said

Winman 2 - Sam Durham (Id like to look for a defensive wing this off season)

This is where we see conjecture. I liked what he did this year and has all the tools to make it across half back. If tried there (HBF) then we open up a spot for that defensive wing role he should occupy.

Ruck 1 - Sam Draper (Todd Goldstein, Nick Bryan)

Draper holds the #1 mantle but Goldstein is an absolute gun. With doubts over Draper, Goldy comes into calculations for round 1. I just hope Bryan continues to develop and confirms the #2 role.

Rover - Darcy Parish (Ben Hobbs)

Still one of the best midfielders when he is fit and going. Depth building with the kids too is a huge positive.

Ruck Rover - Will Setterfield (Jye Caldwell)

Real 50:50 between Setterfield and Caldwell as both are on par with Jye having much more upside. Depth building but would like another defensive minded youngsters to come in to develop.

AFL depth - Jye Caldwell, Ben Hobbs, Elijah Tsatas

All names who should be in the AFL side round 1. Just need to pad out the depth with kids.

Notes;
  • Need to improve the depth in kids we have developing.
  • With everyone fit someone will be in the VFL we expect to be in the AFL side.
  • Would like more marking power as has been discussed ad nauseam. Running power and 2 - way running also needs to improve.
  • Outside Setterfield we have no (defensive) midfielders above 187cm so would like to add another (George Stevens please)
  • kicking also appears to be an issue across this group. Only Merret and Martin I would consider good kicks (both close to elite) which should also come into our discussion about draftees.
  • We have an abundance of kids and an abundance of guys who we know about, the improvement comes from the next group and the fitness of the established guys.
  • Do not expect Shiel to be at the club next year

On paper;

Centre; Nic Martin - Zac Merret - Sam Durham
Rucks; Sam Draper - Darcy Parish - Will Setterfield
Bench; Ben Hobbs, Jye Caldwell

Yeah, the sooner Kaine Baldwin is in that 6 the better.

His ability to distribute is clear now. Should be CHB alongside Ridley. McKay at FB for me. Duursma and Cox competing for the Heppell role. Durham stays on a wing, unless he and Duursma become part of a rotation.

I get the sense Nik Cox could end up as trade bait by the end of '24 if he doesn't lift.
I genuinely don't know what NiK Cox becomes hence why I haven't settled him in any of my posts on any of our lines. Certainly agree he could be on the move. We just need to unlock said potential he has

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I genuinely don't know what NiK Cox becomes hence why I haven't settled him in any of my posts on any of our lines. Certainly agree he could be on the move. We just need to unlock said potential he has
I think we got glimpses of his best as a backman. He looked uncomfortable and lazy as a forward and a bit lost as a winger. He also seems to be a bit self-entitled?

Does anyone know, is Cox a bit sulky? Or am I just perceiving and imagining?

I was critical of Carlton 18 months ago about the make up of there best 22 and we are heading in a similar path. The top end is as good as any (Cripps, Weitering, McKay, Docherty) but then falls away really quickly but have a huge amount of kids with potential.

We are in a similar boat albeit in areas not as crucial (Merret, Parish, Ridley) but we fall away badly in our 'rating' of players. The improvement that should come from within is what will help us rise up the ladder quickly.

I have done our lines and could not fit in all the 2020 draftees so should Reid and Cox come into calculations that really does elevate us from possible top 8 to competing for top 4 as run of the mill Cox and Reid compared to developed Cox and Reid is immeasurable. Throw in Tsatas, Hobbs, get games into the mosquito fleet we are assembling inside 50 and the potential in this team is there. We just need the development at this club to stand up and do there job.

Moving forward with what we know who is coming in over the off season and outgoing.

Wingman 1 - Nic Martin (Elijah Tsatas cause we do dumb s**t)

Genuine star, undersold outside Essenond but one of the best distributors in the league. A goal a game and the metres gained is immeasurable

Centre - Zac Merret (Ben Hobbs)

Star, Captain, enough said

Winman 2 - Sam Durham (Id like to look for a defensive wing this off season)

This is where we see conjecture. I liked what he did this year and has all the tools to make it across half back. If tried there (HBF) then we open up a spot for that defensive wing role he should occupy.

Ruck 1 - Sam Draper (Todd Goldstein, Nick Bryan)

Draper holds the #1 mantle but Goldstein is an absolute gun. With doubts over Draper, Goldy comes into calculations for round 1. I just hope Bryan continues to develop and confirms the #2 role.

Rover - Darcy Parish (Ben Hobbs)

Still one of the best midfielders when he is fit and going. Depth building with the kids too is a huge positive.

Ruck Rover - Will Setterfield (Jye Caldwell)

Real 50:50 between Setterfield and Caldwell as both are on par with Jye having much more upside. Depth building but would like another defensive minded youngsters to come in to develop.

AFL depth - Jye Caldwell, Ben Hobbs, Elijah Tsatas

All names who should be in the AFL side round 1. Just need to pad out the depth with kids.

Notes;
  • Need to improve the depth in kids we have developing.
  • With everyone fit someone will be in the VFL we expect to be in the AFL side.
  • Would like more marking power as has been discussed ad nauseam. Running power and 2 - way running also needs to improve.
  • Outside Setterfield we have no (defensive) midfielders above 187cm so would like to add another (George Stevens please)
  • kicking also appears to be an issue across this group. Only Merret and Martin I would consider good kicks (both close to elite) which should also come into our discussion about draftees.
  • We have an abundance of kids and an abundance of guys who we know about, the improvement comes from the next group and the fitness of the established guys.
  • Do not expect Shiel to be at the club next year

On paper;

Centre; Nic Martin - Zac Merret - Sam Durham
Rucks; Sam Draper - Darcy Parish - Will Setterfield
Bench; Ben Hobbs, Jye Caldwell
Tsatas really needs to come on over the next couple of years. We're currently one-paced and that's slow to sluggish. We need his pace and we need him to lower the eyes and sharpen his kicking.

Definitely need another tall mid. The squeeze is on in the backline and I'm still keen to see Laverde given an opportunity to develop there over the summer. Not in any hurry. If we don't get one, so be it; a 2024 off-season priority.

2 big forwards with Langford and Stringer being support.
And Perkins also being a medium. And Gresham as a slow flanker.

Listening to Cooney in trade radio, he’s lost it. His ideal starting forward line is:
Hobbs Jones Langford
Stringer Wright Gresham

If we are lamenting our forward pressure currently watch it blowout with that!

I see a world where Gresham plays as a small forward not that flanker he was at St.Kilda
He's still slow. Like that forward line would easily be the slowest of any team in the AFL, plus we're likely to play two rucks.

Means Stringer misses then as Langford probably over taken him.

Seems like there will be a lot of competition/uncomfortable conversations this season.

Stringer can play mid/HF I could see him coming off the bench and Scott using him at HF when Langford is playing FF while Wright rests and as the medium forward when Langford rests

I do trust stringer a lot as the player kicking I50 just a question of his tank/durability

2 big forwards with Langford and Stringer being support.
Too slow but that is the issue. It is like the midfield. The mix is wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back