FTA-TV Making a Murderer - SPOILERS

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched the guilty verdict episode. Made no semse the not guilty to the ome charge.

But what is bullshit is in his case the prosecution says she wasnt killed in his room.. hence no sign of it, yet same guy straight up in Dasseys case says she was killed in his room. And yet they cannot take the total change of 'facts' in to account. The system is a farce.

Just watched the guilty verdict episode. Made no semse the not guilty to the ome charge.

But what is bullshit is in his case the prosecution says she wasnt killed in his room.. hence no sign of it, yet same guy straight up in Dasseys case says she was killed in his room. And yet they cannot take the total change of 'facts' in to account. The system is a farce.
They intentionally didn't bring Dassey's evidence into the Avery case because it would get torn apart (because it isn't real) - they only used it to leak the story to the public (Kratz' interview) so that the state's potential jurors were corrupted with the Prosecutions story.

The law is weird in that you can run two sepparate trials on the same murder on completely different facts and they can't really cross-refernce.

Generally, where the Prosecution is honest, and they believe two people comitted a crime jointly they will be jointly prosecuted in the same trial. This didn't happen in this case with the State having two sepparate trials with Brendan's based solely of the confession.

I am reluctant to don the tin foil but something is a play here.

Basically this.

After watching season 1 I was conflicted as to Avery's guilt (as he's clearly a POS who's done plenty of wrong over the journey) but fairly certain that if Dassey was involved at all, it was only in some minor manner. All that aside though
the actions of police, prosecutors, original defence attorneys & most of the judiciary was just appalling. They were going to lock them up no matter what.

Season 2 didn't really change much for me. Yes, they most likely have been framed & yes plenty was thrown up to cloud the whole thing further but will either of them see the outside of prison any time soon? Fat chance. There's more going on than we have or are ever likely to see.

If the US Supreme Court had agreed to look at Dassey's case, I might be more inclined to think that most of what we were shown in season 2 had some real weight to it. If, as we have been lead to believe by the shows producers, Dassey has been clearly wronged I suspect the Supreme Court would also have picked up on that. But they didnt & by the end of S2 I was left feeling that we really wernt getting a fairly balanced account, that it had been blown up to suck us in. Or maybe not. Again, I'm left feeling conflicted but very empathic towards the poor families on both sides. & then there's the victim who sometimes feels like a footnote in all of this.

Really hope there's no season 3 but of course there will be.

Last edited:

hmmm...

Why the Midterms Were Good News For Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey

A new governor and attorney general in Wisconsin mean that the ‘Making a Murderer’ subjects could have better chance for clemency .

The midterm election results are in, and in addition to winning control of the House of Representatives, Democratic candidates managed to unseat Republican incumbents in other key positions — including “the top two elected officials most determined to keep [Steven Avery] and [Brendan Dassey] convicted.”

That’s how defense attorney Jerry Buting described Wisconsin’s now former Governor Scott Walker and Attorney General Brad Schimel, who both lost their respective bids for reelection to their democratic challengers. Walker was defeated by Tony Evers, while Schimel will be replaced by Josh Kaul; in addition to the many potential policy changes that could accompany the shift in power, Evers and Kaul also offer the state’s two most high-profile prisoners fresh hope of overturning their convictions for the 2005 murder of Teresa Halbach.

Avery and Dassey were tried separately for Halbach’s murder, and their respective appeals are at very different stages — Avery, who is represented by attorney Kathleen Zellner, is at the beginning of his first attempt at appealing his conviction and life sentence, while Dassey exhausted his appeal chances earlier this year.

Making a Murderer’s second season, which was released by Netflix last month, documented the Dassey family’s joy when Federal District Court Judge William Duffin ruled that the then-16 year old’s confession in 2006 was coerced, overturned his conviction and ordered his immediate release from prison. That never happened, because then-AG Schimel not only appealed Duffin’s decision to vacate the conviction, but his office successfully convinced the Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit to block Dassey’s release in the interim. Dassey’s attorneys, Laura Nirider and Steven Drizin, achieved a second victory when the 7th Circuit’s three judge panel denied the state’s appeal, but Schimel’s office only dug in its heels, and it was all downhill from there. The state was granted an en banc hearing — meaning all the judges of the court were present — which rendered the panel’s decision moot, the entire 7th Circuit ultimately ruled against him and reinstated his conviction. Dassey’s last shot was to convince the Supreme Court of the United States to take his case under consideration, but they declined.

Supreme Court’s refusal to hear Dassey’s case marked the end of the road for his federal appeals. The most damning piece of evidence against him, his confession — really, the only evidence the prosecution ever had — has ultimately been deemed admissible and he won’t be able to seek relief by arguing otherwise again. His best hope of getting relief through the court system now really depends on Zellner and her work on the Avery case, specifically the new and withheld evidence she says she has uncovered.

Avery clearly has an opportunity to benefit from a changing of the guard in the AG’s Office; Schimel doubled and tripled down on the validity of Dassey’s conviction and won, and thus far, his office’s response to Avery’s appeal was similarly resistant to reconsidering the evidence in the case. At the very least, how Attorney General-elect Kaul will choose to wield his power won’t be quite so predictable.

“The Attorney General can tell the Department of Justice whether to fight a particular case or not, or whether to concede in certain areas or not,” Avery’s trial attorney, Jerry Buting, tells Rolling Stone. “So for instance, the allegations of deliberately withheld exculpatory evidence by the prosecution in the Avery case — [which] I think it would apply to [Dassey] as well — if the new Attorney General decided that the evidence seems to support that kind of a claim, he could direct his lieutenants, so to speak, enter into some sort of agreement that, yeah, this is a violation, now what’s the remedy? Kaul can order that a transparent review be done of their files and the special prosecutor’s files, as well as a reinvestigation of the case.”

Kaul does have one thing tying him to the Avery and Dassey case — his mother, the late Peg Lautenschlager, was the Attorney General of Wisconsin when Avery was exonerated in his first wrongful conviction in 2003, and a few years later, members of her office assisted in the investigation and prosecution of both Avery and Dassey for Halbach’s murder.

“I’m sure she was a very influential person in his life,” Buting says of Kaul and Lautenschlager “but that doesn’t mean that he isn’t his own person. I’m sure that the Attorney General-elect will listen to anybody who wants to present their side to him. Whether it will result in exoneration or release from prison, that’s that’s a whole different question. … it’s too early to handicap what could happen.”

One thing is certain — the change in leadership in the Governor’s office is a big deal for any prisoner who applies for clemency in the form of a pardon or commuted sentence. That’s something the soon-to-be former Governor made clear he would never consider — in the Avery/Dassey cases or any other.

“To me, the only people who are seeking pardons are people who have been guilty of a crime and I have a hard time undermining the actions of a jury and of a court,” Walker told the Associated Press in 2013.

Walker was supposed to make appointments to a state advisory board to review pardons, but he eschewed the process altogether, and during his nearly eight years in office, he has not considered a single pardon, despite receiving thousands of applications.

“The only governor in our history to do that,” Buting notes.

While Governor-elect Evers hasn’t publicly expressed any opinion on the Avery/Dassey case, he’s certainly more of a progressive on criminal justice issues than Walker, including the need to reduce over-incarceration. While Avery and Dassey’s attorneys would have to apply to be considered, the fact that Evers isn’t opposed to granting clemency is good news.

Time will tell what kind of impact Kaul and Ever may have on Avery and Dassey in the months and years to come, but Kathleen Zellner, Avery’s current attorney, tells Rolling Stone she is “guardedly optimistic.”

“It would be a refreshing change if the newly elected governor and attorney general did not make pronouncements about the two cases for political gain, as their predecessors did, without taking the time to evaluate all of the evidence or lack thereof.”

Up to ep 5 of the new season and bloody hell it’s a grind. I know they’ve got less material to work with but then why not cut it down to 6 episodes?

Does it get better the last few eps?

I'm up to episode 4 and have to agree, it's all a bit stretched out. Just watching for the parts where they talk about the a tual case and evidence.

However, if their plan was to hit me right in the feels every time they show Avery's mum...damn them, because it's working. Poor woman.

Up to ep 5 of the new season and bloody hell it’s a grind. I know they’ve got less material to work with but then why not cut it down to 6 episodes?

Does it get better the last few eps?

Last 2-3 eps are great IMO. But I didn't feel the grind you are so maybe you won't enjoy it as I did.

Went from the first season thinking he wasn't guilty to the second season thinking he is. just can't imagine lightning can strike twice....

Last 2-3 eps are great IMO. But I didn't feel the grind you are so maybe you won't enjoy it as I did.

Yeah, the last 3 episodes are great as they hit on some pretty compelling evidence and most damning...the prosecution's failure to transparently disclose the evidence.

The most likely scenario is still that he did it and that rules were clearly broken to ensure he went away. But with the facts laid out as they are by the end of this season there's no way a jury could have found him guilty beyond reasonable doubt had they been able to see everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looked soo frail when he was moving around in his garage. I wouldn't donate money to Steven or Brendan (still reckon they are dodgy on some level), but would happily contribute to a gofundme for Alan and Dolores Avery.

I was expecting one of them to pass such was the focus on their health

They are both simple folk caught up in a whirlwind

Last 2-3 eps were better, especially that last one. That phone call was epic.

Such a tragic story. They’re all suffering. Barb has her brother and son in jail and the prime alternate suspects are another son and husband. Damn...I’d be staggered if it’s anyone else bar maybe the ex.

Kathleen is brilliant, and i like the way she started piecing together the potentially true timeline and location of events. The cadaver dogs bee-lining to the quarry. The coroner being sidelined. Just so much fishy stuff.

I know it’s a biased lens we’re seeing it thru but I do think they’ve stitched Avery up after he tried to sue them. Brendan’s confession was disgusting too like one of those judges said.

Has anybody else been following the case the last month or so, really interested to see what comes out about the battery in the RAV that has supposedly been linked back to MCSO and AC or someone close to him. A retired investigator on reddit did some digging then sent the info to zellner who traced the battery back to a individual.

Still have my doubts anything will ever come from it all, think they will get shutdown at every turn no matter what evidence they present or disprove. If that judge hamilton can watch BD's confession and come to a conclusion that he is being uncooperative and lying then they can twist anything around to get the result they want.

Has anybody else been following the case the last month or so, really interested to see what comes out about the battery in the RAV that has supposedly been linked back to MCSO and AC or someone close to him. A retired investigator on reddit did some digging then sent the info to zellner who traced the battery back to a individual.

Still have my doubts anything will ever come from it all, think they will get shutdown at every turn no matter what evidence they present or disprove. If that judge hamilton can watch BD's confession and come to a conclusion that he is being uncooperative and lying then they can twist anything around to get the result they want.
Do you have a link to this? Have been trying to track down where it originated from

Do you have a link to this? Have been trying to track down where it originated from

Search for "casefilesreviewer reddit". He normally posts in the ticktockmanitowok or stevenaverycase subs.

This was the the first one he posted about it but think he edited it

This is another topic he started

Edit: Not sure if the links are suitable the way they are or should i remove them.

Last edited:
Search for "casefilesreviewer reddit". He normally posts in the ticktockmanitowok or stevenaverycase subs.

This was the the first one he posted about it but think he edited it

This is another topic he started

Edit: Not sure if the links are suitable the way they are or should i remove them.

So what's he saying, the murderer replaced the battery in Teresas car?

Brendan’s Series 2 lawyers are doing a speaking tour of Australian capital cities in March
Seems a bit weird to be cashing in on these types of appearances, when your main claim to fame is unsuccessfully defending a client (harsh I know).

I could understand book deals and speaking tours if they had succeeded in overturning Dassey's conviction.

Seems a bit weird to be cashing in on these types of appearances, when your main claim to fame is unsuccessfully defending a client (harsh I know).

I could understand book deals and speaking tours if they had succeeded in overturning Dassey's conviction.

Yes it is a moral dilemma as well going to be entertained on the misfortune of Brendan...but then I would like to think that whatever is made goes towards his next Legal move or towards their legal organisation that helps other jueviniles in a legal mess.

There is opportunity for Q&A from audiences so maybe this elephant in the room might be addressed or addressed by them in their lecture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back