Making your Senior debut

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys,

So tomorrow I am making my long awaited senior football unofficial debut in the reserves for a Trial match. Been training with the club for 3 years now, anyway on Wednesday at training the coach gave me the nod of approval and will be starting in the forward pocket but has given me the role of roving the forward line (I can run all day).

Anyone got any tips for making a senior debut or got any stories to share of your debut?

Hi guys,

So tomorrow I am making my long awaited senior football unofficial debut in the reserves for a Trial match. Been training with the club for 3 years now, anyway on Wednesday at training the coach gave me the nod of approval and will be starting in the forward pocket but has given me the role of roving the forward line (I can run all day).

Anyone got any tips for making a senior debut or got any stories to share of your debut?
Work hard, do team things.

My story is short.

Was 17 at the time, couldn't get enough players for our U18 side even though we won the premiership 2 years running, we had a very good reserves team, played a few great matches and played a few games at the end of the season for the seniors.

Very different, much higher intensity, level of skill, etc... Just remember to play your role the way the coach wants you too because they normally have strict guidelines of what they want you to do and what they don't want you to do. Stick to your fundamental skills and don't stray or try to take the game on as the level of skill (for me) was sort of beyond mine at the time. Try to play conservatively, no cheeky get-tackled-on-the-boundary-do-a-cool-handball-over-the-line-and-play-on sort of thing, get around the team if times are getting tough, play hard and put your body on the line but not that you get injured.

As a half-forward get around the stoppages, lead hard, really push yourself at contests. Good luck.

Thanks guys, so basically got a game in reserves today, got a goal playing from a free kick playing centre. Did a few decent link up plays earlier. I feel I went hard at the contest. Hopefully done enough to get a run in seniors in the near future.

Shouldn't have even played today, I was ommited completely but a few guys didn't show so was called up for reserves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back