Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
Who would you take out of the 2:

Mal Michael:
238 Games
3 x Premiership Player
Rising Star Nominee
1 x Harry Collier Trophy (best 1st year player Collingwood)
5.28 1%ers per game
9.76 disposals per game
3.57 marks per game (0.61 contested per game)

Josh Gibson:
215 Games
3 x Premiership Player
2 x Club BnF (both in premiership years)
1 x All Australian
1 x Golden Fist Winner
7.51 1%ers per game
17.4 disposals per game
5.12 marks per game (0.48 contested per game)

Who would you take over their career?

Gibbo. Not least because until Brian Lake arrived he held our backline together with minimal support, typically playing on guys far taller & heavier than himself.

Had he taken more marks and fewer spoils he'd be mentioned in the same breath as Scarlett & Rance, both of whom played in more attacking fashion with far stronger defensive units around them that allowed it. Once Lake arrived, Gibbo also became a more attacking weapon when he had the luxury of Briiiiiiiiiian locking down the opposition's #1 gorilla forward in the goalsquare but was closing in on 30 by that stage and didn't change his game to the extent that marking rather than punching became his default option.

So by all means you can argue he deserves to be placed one tier below the absolute best key defenders of his era (of whom Lake is one) but I think still has Mal Michael covered, who was a fantastic player himself.

Different eras.

No doubt Gibson is the superior athlete but I though Mal Michael was a better shut-down key defender.

Far different players

Mal was the big hulk of a full back who'd take the big boys out of the goalsquare and do it well

Gibson was the accomplished allround defender who could attack/rebound/intercept or shut down, could play tall or medium too

If I were picking a team and wanted a key defender I'd probably lean towards Mal here though due to his bigger size in taking the big full forwards, if I wanted an allround sidekick type of defender who'd take the number 2 or 3 forward then Josh absolutely there

Always rated Gibson highly. Hate hawthorn but like him, he was my favourite player from the Hawks.
Ultra consistent, very underrated. Would take him.
Mal Michael was great though.

Back