Malazan Book of the Fallen

Remove this Banner Ad

Could do with reading something else after the current book Midnight Tides. That'll be halfway mark. Series hasn't quite swept me up as I'd hope by this point. Big things happen then feels slow for 80-100 pages. Slow maybe isn't the right word, because you can sense things building incrementally for the next big moment. Each book has been like this. If I could get into a pattern of reading an hour a day that'd help.

Last edited:

Bonehunters done.
Good book
Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach volume one done. Bit of dark humour in those stories.

On to Reaper's Gale

Bonehunters done.
Good book
Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach volume one done. Bit of dark humour in those stories.

On to Reaper's Gale

You read fast or spend a lot of free time reading (something I'd like to do but at home the TV screen usually wins).

Reaper's Gale took a long time to get through, life got in the way but I finished it last night and was a bit devo

Trull getting murdered just because was a real downer, the but she's carrying his child didn't help, bloody stage 4 restrictions is not the time I want to be losing a favourite character, not that dying necessarily means much in this series

Going to read Return of the Crimson Guard next before diving into Toll of the Hounds

162 pages into Gardens of the Moon. Am definitely understanding the difficulty in the sheer volume of names, locations and information thrown at you; but I am finding myself very engaged in the characters and situations so far. The lore and world-building seem pretty massive and I don't have the greatest memory... I might need a notepad!

162 pages into Gardens of the Moon. Am definitely understanding the difficulty in the sheer volume of names, locations and information thrown at you; but I am finding myself very engaged in the characters and situations so far. The lore and world-building seem pretty massive and I don't have the greatest memory... I might need a notepad!

In case you haven't noticed, there is a glossary at the end! One of the reasons I don't like reading the Malazan books on my kindle is the need to flip to the Dramatis Personae section at the front and the glossary at the back, to help with keeping track of everything.

In case you haven't noticed, there is a glossary at the end! One of the reasons I don't like reading the Malazan books on my kindle is the need to flip to the Dramatis Personae section at the front and the glossary at the back, to help with keeping track of everything.

I unfortunately have it on kindle as I couldn’t get a decent hard copy for a couple weeks and I don’t like waiting 😂

How effed am I without the glossary?

I unfortunately have it on kindle as I couldn’t get a decent hard copy for a couple weeks and I don’t like waiting 😂

Depends how much you want to know beyond the narrative up front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're not effed at all. It's just useful in circumstances where, say, some sorcerer is casting using the Warren of Rashan, and you go "hang on is Rashan shadow or darkness?". It's also useful in keeping track of the Deck of Dragons and who's who in the pantheon of the gods/ascendants.

Last edited:
Finished Midnight Tides. It was very long. Surprised it took me 7 months to finish but a lot has happened in my life and the world since January. Themes of irrevocable change and mentionings of deserted city streets probably hit harder than author intended back when he wrote it. Putting aside the present times, Midnight Tides seems like a commentary on British imperialism, American exceptionalism and of course capitalism.

To anyone that has read all the books in the Malazan universe, what is the reading order you'd recommend?

On the wiki it says that Erikson and Esslemont recommend this order, which includes the other books rather than the main 10:
  1. Gardens of the Moon
  2. Deadhouse Gates
  3. Memories of Ice
  4. House of Chains
  5. Midnight Tides
  6. Night of Knives
  7. The Bonehunters
  8. The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, Volume 1
  9. Reaper's Gale
  10. Return of the Crimson Guard
  11. Toll the Hounds
  12. Dust of Dreams
  13. Stonewielder
  14. The Crippled God
  15. Orb Sceptre Throne
  16. Blood and Bone
  17. Assail
  18. Forge of Darkness
  19. Fall of Light
  20. Dancer’s Lament
  21. The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, Volume 2
  22. Deadhouse Landing
  23. Kellanved's Reach
Or should I just go with the main 10 then catch up on the others afterwards?
I think it's worth reading in that order.
Night of Knives fills in some back story and gives some more detail on characters that pop up elsewhere. It's set prior to the main series.
Return of the Crimson Guard has some big details for certain Characters and is set during the main series timeline.

I was told that if I was going to give up; that I should at least read GoTM and DG in full...

Well I have read GoTM and DG now... and not for one single page did I have a thought of giving this series up.

Holy, holy, holy jeebus. This is literally the series I’ve been searching for. I plan to read the entire series over lockdown and pretty much do nothing else 😂

50 pages into Memories of Ice and it’s clear that he’s hitting his straps as a writer here. The payoff of even quite small situations is something I haven’t felt done particularly well since Asoiaf.

The amount of characters and plot threads I’m interested in now just from the first two books alone is insane.

Finished Memories of Ice and have just finished the first book of House Of Chains.

What a beautifully thought out story. So fleshed out, so multi dimensional and tightly woven!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back