Review Malcolm Blight - Last Touch Rule, Interchange Cut, 20m Goal Square

Remove this Banner Ad

There is nothing wrong with the game. It far exceeds anything else in this country. That is fact. What are these people trying to achieve? People saying football is too complicated for overseas markets forget that these markets are used to sports with little contact.(soccer). Which has no where near the physicality of our game.

And I have taken newbies to see the AFL and they have thouroughly enjoyed it.

It is a tough game to follow. That is more to do with the quality of umpiring and interpretation. I think we have far too many rules that are open to interpretation. Ruck infringements are a negative for me. Too many times the whistle blows in front of goal and no one knows why. 2 big lumbering dinosaurs with little athleticism can’t get out of each other’s way and a team is penalised because the ump saw something in that shemozzle that no one else saw. Other than that the game itself should be touched.

If these guys want to make the quality of the contest better then cut the number of teams to improve the quality of the fixture. Far too many poor quality teams tanking and trying to tag the opposition.

WTF is wrong with the 3rd man up at the ruck contest anyway?
Not sure.
I think it had something to do with a ruckman hindering slightly the other ruckman or get him into a position where his mate could come in 3rd-man-up and use him as a step-ladder for the tap. Not fair.
I don't mind the designated ruckman, 2-ruckmen-only rule.
Commentators made a big deal last week when Diverflog nominated himself as a ruckman --- his tagger didn't hear it and Diverflog made a big show of being kept out of the contest by running into his blocker from behind with his arms raised, pleading for the free, which he got. Cost Melb a goal, which I don't care about. Both teams can gagf.
Such incidents are as rare as rocking horse doodoo and I don't see what the fuss is about. o_O
Umpires and players get HtB/ HtM/ throw interpretations wrong much more often than that.

I was at a Taipans game with the kids.
The last 80 seconds of the game took over ten minutes. I’m not kidding. It was bazaar.
Yeah, isn't it loopy? :huh:
I like the game itself, but the stop-start change-teams (defensive/offensive) breaks make the game flow much more slowly than ours. Makes for plenty of time to get snacks/drinks/go toilet, though.;)

Pay some throws...
Also as an extension, just start umpiring the rules they already have properly. Anyone ever noticed how drastically different 15m is when you're running with the ball without bouncing compared to when you kick it? And how a 15m kick is a different length in the backline compared to the forward line.

My thoughts on 3rd man up in the ruck, no problem with the current rules and nominating, but add some common sense and clean it up a bit.

Let the players nominate, if they don't, and there is a recognised ruck at the contest or someone standing next to the nominated opposition ruckman or someone like a Wines who has done it during the day, have the umpire nominate someone, the most likely person. This stops the only one person contesting the ruck contest thing.

Also, when the umpire is declaring who is contesting the ball up, let's use proper names, watching the Patrick Dangerfield ruck controversy on the weekend, the umpire just casually and quickly declares "Paddy" has nominated. If you're tagging Dangerfield, you are probably not listening for a "Paddy" at the ball up.

If the umpire loudly declared "Patrick Dangerfield" had nominated and used a bit of that theatre they love by pointing at him, the situation wouldn't have happened.

A small thing, but it's just another grey area we can avoid. Why are umpires using nicknames when officiating and talking to everyone else.

Also as an extension, just start umpiring the rules they already have properly. Anyone ever noticed how drastically different 15m is when you're running with the ball without bouncing compared to when you kick it? And how a 15m kick is a different length in the backline compared to the forward line.

You could probably eliminate the 15 m kick. Does it really matter that much. There not overly consistent with it anyway and running with the ball, instead of 15m make it every 5/6 steps or whatever is roughly 15 m on average. It’s easier to count steps than guess distance when adjudicating from different angles.

- Officiate HTB/dropping the ball properly to firstly give the guy going for the footy some slack...until he's had prior opportunity, then the benefit of the doubt goes to the tackler. Way too many incorrect disposals let go under the guise of 'it spilled out in the tackle'.

- Last clear disposal out of bounds free kick is a good one

- Reduce playing numbers to 16 on field

It would look like NRL.
I’m just interested to know what the player’s mindset would be if they knew they could break from the pack without having to bounce.

Would that encourage players to try and break from a pack instead of flick it around by hand passing?

- Officiate HTB/dropping the ball properly to firstly give the guy going for the footy some slack...until he's had prior opportunity, then the benefit of the doubt goes to the tackler. Way too many incorrect disposals let go under the guise of 'it spilled out in the tackle'.

- Last clear disposal out of bounds free kick is a good one

- Reduce playing numbers to 16 on field
Perfect!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

16 on field eh? A huge change. That would be interesting.

it would make epic defensive floods. Cos you could never rebound.
Much bigger slingshots.
Reduce big impacts.
Reduce tackling.
Bring more speed into the game.
Favour big marking and long kicking players.
Favour fitter players.
Reduce player disparity -- height, weight, fitness, speed, agility.
Normalize on field behaviour.
Increase scoring disparity - bigger blowouts.

Just, dunno.

That’s because I likes to start with one extra in defence, I can’t wait until that’s stopped

Remove this Banner Ad

Back