male sports keeping female affiliates afloat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Female sport is boring. Futurama all ready covered this. Nobody watches sport to see good fundamentals, we want to see agro men spill blood in the name of the club or country they represent.

this.... its the same as the equal pay premise, why are the males being punished for bringing in the revenue, and lifting the game

Men are not being punished, no one is calling for the men to reduce their match payments and the men in question would earn way more from their club sides than they would when playing in internationals

They could play all day and Serena would be lucky to take a single game off Tomic.

Anyone in the top 1000 would have a field day with her.

The under 17's US boys soccer team beat the national women's team 8-2 in 2012 as well.

There's no contest.

Nah Serena would win a game or two, would she beat the world number 1000 on the ATP, maybe yes, without seeing that player I suspect he would have some weakness that Serena could take advantage of then add with her serve and power.

Considering the Women's soccer side plays the same length of time as the men then yes they should be paid the same when representing the national team, this debate is about the world cup and differences in pay rates and they are unjustly large differences, this debate isn't about the respective local leagues as pay rates vary from league to league.

Simple who are the majority of people coming to watch? soccer fans flock to see the Blokes play in fact most attendies couldn't even name a single female player at the world cup.

You act like they are on an even footing, this is nonsense, the money the sponsorship the accolades its all about the male tournament.
Nobody could give a s**t if the women played or not, hell you'd be hard pressed to find one who could tell you which country won the womens world cup without googling it. (do you even know?)

The Womens league is nothing more then a warm up act, Lead Zeppelin doesn't split the gate with some house band from newcastle, just because they play on the same stage.

There are many reasons why women's sport is behind men's in terms of popularity and sponsorship.

Women's roles in sport haven't always been equal to men's. Women playing certain competitive sports was often frowned upon and actively discouraged.

Women's football (that's soccer to you and that is what I'll be speaking about) in the early 20th Century was hugely popular in England. A game played on Boxing Day in Liverpool in 1920 drew a crowd of 53,000.

Women were banned from playing football on grounds affiliated with the English FA in 1921 because "football damaged women's bodies" or some such guff. It was widely seen as simple jealousy that women's football was more popular than the men's game.

Tennis is one sport where women have been actively encouraged to play over a very long period of time, and women tennis players are able to play the sport professionally and earn a very good living from it. This is no coincidence.

What the women footballers are asking for is a leg-up to get the game to a level where women can actually play it full time. This is what will improve the standard, which in turn will improve the quality, then the ratings and the participation of other young girls and so on and so forth. Men have had a 40 or 50 year head start in this and the women want the process sped up a bit, which can be achieved by putting money into the sport. And football doesn't lack money.

Unfortunately, a lot of people on this thread and in society think that 'equality' is something that, once said, automatically exists. It doesn't. It takes generations to change attitudes towards these things. It took men decades to build sports to the levels they are now and they certainly didn't have any women deliberately blocking their paths or demanding they wear more revealing clothes to improve the spectacle.

Men can sit back and let women's sport struggle on and throw criticism at their lack of professionalism, or they can give women a hand up and welcome them to a lifestyle and opportunities women haven't had access to, simply because they were women living in a man's world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_football_in_England

Men are not being punished, no one is calling for the men to reduce their match payments and the men in question would earn way more from their club sides than they would when playing in internationals

If you increased match payments to women you would be taking them from the male players. Since all the money comes from the people who go to watch the men play.

Men can sit back and let women's sport struggle on and throw criticism at their lack of professionalism

We are not saying they lack professionalism, we are saying they lack ability.

People watch sport to see the best of the best. That naturally excludes women, who are not the best at any sport.

We are not saying they lack professionalism, we are saying they lack ability.

People watch sport to see the best of the best. That naturally excludes women, who are not the best at any sport.

not true women excel at many sports, things like curling sailing and roman wrestling, gymnastics see's the go toe to toe with men and they are very competitive. Bowling and equestrian they often beat men.

but generally they can't match it with men at most ball sports because they demand a lot of running, and brute strength. men are generally bigger and stronger then women this is where the advantage comes from.

There's no need to sexist about it, there's many sports women are great at, in fact women are THE BEST when it comes to acrobatic flying, best stunt pilots in the world are women and this is because they are generally better at handling negative G-forces. But things like soccer and footy don't fall into that category.

not true women excel at many sports, things like curling sailing and roman wrestling, gymnastics see's the go toe to toe with men and they are very competitive. Bowling and equestrian they often beat men.

but generally they can't match it with men at most ball sports because they demand a lot of running, and brute strength. men are generally bigger and stronger then women this is where the advantage comes from.

There's no need to sexist about it, there's many sports women are great at, in fact women are THE BEST when it comes to acrobatic flying, best stunt pilots in the world are women and this is because they are generally better at handling negative G-forces. But things like soccer and footy don't fall into that category.

And I'm sure in those sports they make just as much as the men do.

But in the sports people actually care about and pay money to watch, they aren't nearly as good as men and therefore don't get paid nearly as much.

Soccer ? Arent they well known for ripping the kids to prop up levels higher up, where the money goes yo european backpackers anyway ?

Dont get me started on FIFA. Thers plenty to fix in soccer before the female pay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I'm sure in those sports they make just as much as the men do.

But in the sports people actually care about and pay money to watch, they aren't nearly as good as men and therefore don't get paid nearly as much.

Yes, it's quite simple isn't it? People want to watch the best athletes, and in many top line sports, they just happen to be male. That's life, get over it. No point in white men complaining that black men get more opportunities in the NBA. It's just the way it is. No different to how attractive people have advantages over un-attractive ones in the entertainment industry. Unless someone waves a magic wand and endows females with more athletic ability, it's the way it's going to stay. Political correctness has nothing to do with it.

Seriously. Ask anyone in motor racing and they'll tell you. Formula 1 is the be all and end all. Sure, the others are entertaining but any driver, in any league would give their right testicle or tit to race F1. It's the pinnacle of the sport. Fact.
Between the avatar and the Pauly voice in my head this s**t owns.

Unfortunately, a lot of people on this thread and in society think that 'equality' is something that, once said, automatically exists. It doesn't. It takes generations to change attitudes towards these things. It took men decades to build sports to the levels they are now and they certainly didn't have any women deliberately blocking their paths or demanding they wear more revealing clothes to improve the spectacle.
No, they were quite happy with the way the shorts already were.

Women's AFL shouldn't even be in the conversation. A typical boy's under 17 school team would easily account for the All Australian women's team.

These are apparently the best female players in the country, nobody can kick it over 30 meters.

I'm sure I remember the state game curtain raiser before the Fremantle Richmond game having them hoof it 40 odd.

pretty daft and unnecessary thread, in my opinion. seems to just be a lot of black-slapping amongst the fellas going on, based on the apparently superior physical acumen of a select band of elite athletes in a few sports.

Female sport is boring. Futurama all ready covered this. Nobody watches sport to see good fundamentals, we want to see agro men spill blood in the name of the club or country they represent.

i dont - sounds horrible.

NETBALLDiamonds players are paid $200 each day they are on national duty. Captain contracted by Netball Australia for $10,000 and vice-captain $5000. Average wage is $200 a day when on national duty.

ANZ CHAMPIONSHIPAverage wage: $21,800
Minimum wage: $12,500
Maximum wage: $115,00, Irene van Dyk

Reminds me of the Howzat mini series. Either netball is crying out for a benefactor and visionary like Kerry Packer did for Australian cricket in the 70s or netball is already realizing it's commercial worth. In the age of cable and internet streaming where every "sport" from bass fishing to monster truck rallies are being exploited commercially, I would suggest it is more of the later. This not a gender issue but a popularity one.

I have faith the the on-field AFL Women's product is shithouse. I can go and watch better games of mens amateurs or in any state league around the country. It's all about the dollars in every single sport in the world. The more you bring in the more you get paid. The exception is tennis and it's only at the high end. Also it's a load of shite, they shouldn't get paid the same amount as the men in major tournaments as they don't spend the same amount of time on court.
I love watching women's AFL.

There are many reasons why women's sport is behind men's in terms of popularity and sponsorship.

Women's roles in sport haven't always been equal to men's. Women playing certain competitive sports was often frowned upon and actively discouraged.

What the women footballers are asking for is a leg-up to get the game to a level where women can actually play it full time. This is what will improve the standard, which in turn will improve the quality, then the ratings and the participation of other young girls and so on and so forth. Men have had a 40 or 50 year head start in this and the women want the process sped up a bit, which can be achieved by putting money into the sport. And football doesn't lack money.

Men can sit back and let women's sport struggle on and throw criticism at their lack of professionalism, or they can give women a hand up and welcome them to a lifestyle and opportunities women haven't had access to, simply because they were women living in a man's world.

it took years, generations for football (soccer) to become the powerhouse it is today, the same with cricket, and AFL, hell the NBA has grown dramatically since the early 80', and it hasn't happened overnight.

the FPA have said that the Matildas will be receiving a pay increase post the world cup, and its on the back of good, groundbreaking performances. you don't get a pay rise because "hey they're getting more", you earn it, and they have.

i ask you, in a world where women are seeking equality, and to be graded on their performances, not their gender, what kind of message does it send, for the mens game to "chop out" cash to the women's game, because they can't afford to get what they want on their own?

not a step in the right direction for gender equality and feminine independence if you ask me.

not mention they don't even compete with the men. Basically they want the best pay with out competing against the best. even that WAFL exhibition match was s**t house.

I mean seriously? the biggest baddest woman to ever play the game is Lou Wotton she would be killed by being hit she's big and bad, for a girl and thats it. she was also slower then buses in George street during peak hour. No where near AFL standard, and she deserves the same pay as sandi or goldstein?
i don't even think she could compete with Pikey.
Women's AFL shouldn't even be in the conversation. A typical boy's under 17 school team would easily account for the All Australian women's team.
No-one is proposing women play against men.

By this logic, only heavyweight boxing is ever worth watching.

To suggest that an evenly-matched contest, whether it be between women, kids, one-legged Martians, whatever, is not compelling watching, purely because there are bigger and faster competitors elsewhere in the world of sport, is just stupid.

Personally I'd prefer to see money go to promoting sexual equality in sport rather than going to fat, overpaid slobs like Sepp Blatter, Andrew Demetriou, etc.

Don't tell me . . . a white, LNP supporting male started this thread?

Personally I'd prefer to see money go to promoting sexual equality in sport rather than going to fat, overpaid slobs like Sepp Blatter, Andrew Demetriou, etc.

Don't tell me . . . a white, LNP supporting male started this thread?
wrong
but id also like to see the money go there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back