male sports keeping female affiliates afloat.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why don't you guys go get a business loan and mortgage your houses and start up a professional women's footy league if it's such compelling viewing ? Pay them the same as the men, with your money.

I'm sure you could get a $1.25bil deal from TV, and huge crowds. You'd make heaps right ?

Sep 25, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Part of it what the FFA choose to pay the players out of their pool of $ (which, yes mostly comes from the men). But the vast difference in pay scale is not defendable (men $66k each for reaching semis of Asian cup vs women $2k for semis of World cup if SEN is correct). Particularly when for most of the men they don't really need this money (earning much more via club football) while the women have (because their club football doesn't yet really pay) to put on hold careers etc. Part of the argument is needs based, and I can't say that the men's teamhas need. Also if men's team does well at national level,it will inflate the value of individual players who can get it back via club football.

Tough t***ies as the saying goes..

If women as a gender can't generate their own fan bases to the same level of male viewership of male leagues (be it AFL/Soccer/Tennis/Cricket/Basketball/Hockey) this is their responsibility -- While I like when the AFL tries to promote a womens game when they don't even have to, I bemoan the idea that women can't do it on their own they need men to step in and balance the scales...

It might just ultimately be the reality of the difference in the sexes. I think personally it does come down to biology and more women feeling compelled to see men compete in sport than men feel compelled to watch women. You gotta be some kind of SJW/feminist to say its all equally compelling, or prefer women.

I actually really enjoy watching both sexes in the Olympics but this is more down to the competitors being Australian and the curiosity of how our Athletes in general stack up against other nations worldwide.

Either way, its down to supply/demand in the leagues and the free market of economics is deciding it all. Not sexism or any nonsense issues like discrimination.

Psi-Roos

All Australian
Jul 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The best players of every sport are men, which is why mens' sports get all the exposure.

I beg to differ. I think Serena Williams at the height of her power could have stuck with the big boys. Also Layne Beachley.

Volleyball is well supported in both mens and womens as well.

Apr 5, 2015
The future
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AC Milan, Arsenal, North Adelaide
The issue is that these are professionals
$1500-$3000 for a month of full time work is laughable, particularly given they have day jobs they've taken leave from
That pay is pretty low but let's not forget that they are CHOOSING to go to the Women's World Cup, no one is forcing them. They are doing it to represent their nation on the world stage.

I'm sure you could find male & female athletes in other sports that have to pay their own way to represent their nation overseas as their chosen sports doesn't have the financial backing.

Wasn't there stories about Australian bob sled teams having to borrow equipment etc?

slimdusty4

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
ManU, UNC, Knicks, NYRangers, Yanks
I beg to differ. I think Serena Williams at the height of her power could have stuck with the big boys. Also Layne Beachley.

Volleyball is well supported in both mens and womens as well.
her and her sister got flogged by a euro trash bloke ranked 203

outabounds

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 21, 2009
Lygon Street
AFL Club
Carlton
There are only a few sport where woment enjoy equal status, Swimming and Tennis come to mind. the politically correct are trumpeting the inequality of it all but as many have said- it comes down to cold commercial realities.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
Women's AFL shouldn't even be in the conversation. A typical boy's under 17 school team would easily account for the All Australian women's team.

These are apparently the best female players in the country, nobody can kick it over 30 meters.

I really enjoyed that. Thanks for that.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
This question is actually much more vexed than this. I think it's great that women get coverage to encourage more participation by women in sport generally. If you daughter is sporty she is more likely to resilient, drug free and less reliant on a sexual partner for sense of worth. So it's great.

However, should there be seperate leagues for women? If it is to be truly professional why should their be genderised leagues? Could you imagine the uproar if there was a 100m race at the olympics for people without West African background?

Oneiros

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, San Jose Sharks
I love this constant, "Oh, people only want to see the best athletes going at it," like we can't see the teams you're barracking for.

TigerBlood87

Team Captain
Apr 5, 2011
Darwin
AFL Club
Richmond
FWIW I reckon Serena Williams would beat the crap out of Bernard Tomic, and just about all the male players outside the top five, on the world's professional tennis circuit.
If no one has responded to this yet...

During the 1998 Australian Open, sisters Serena and Venus Williams boasted that they could beat any man ranked outside the world's top 200. The challenge was accepted by Karsten Braasch, a German player ranked No 203 (his highest ranking was No 38). Before the matches, Braasch played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2. Serena said afterwards "I didn't know it would be that hard. I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's tour and he got to them easily."

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning

During the 1998 Australian Open, sisters Serena and Venus Williams boasted that they could beat any man ranked outside the world's top 200. The challenge was accepted by Karsten Braasch, a German player ranked No 203 (his highest ranking was No 38). Before the matches, Braasch played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2. Serena said afterwards "I didn't know it would be that hard. I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's tour and he got to them easily."
Amazing.

slimdusty4

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
ManU, UNC, Knicks, NYRangers, Yanks

its been covered at least a dozen times, but if someone is going to bring it up, someone should put the truth out there again

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
If the Matilda's aren't receiving hefty bonuses for progressing through major tournaments like this, they should be.

That said, I agree that sportspeople should for the most part be paid based on the revenue they generate.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To be fair, most pro women's golfers would beat Tiger right now.

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
Why don't you guys go get a business loan and mortgage your houses and start up a professional women's footy league if it's such compelling viewing ? Pay them the same as the men, with your money.

I'm sure you could get a $1.25bil deal from TV, and huge crowds. You'd make heaps right ?

I don't think anyone is arguing for equal pay at local league level, the issue is at pay rates at national level playing in the world cup which is managed by the one governing body. I think people are overlooking that the world cup is run by FIFA, rather than a Women's FIFA and a Men's FIFA

Dec 18, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
If the Matilda's aren't receiving hefty bonuses for progressing through major tournaments like this, they should be.

That said, I agree that sportspeople should for the most part be paid based on the revenue they generate.

Noting that you are a Collingwood supporter, then the case could be made that as Collingwood has Victoria's largest membership then it should have the biggest salary cap, I'm sure Eddie would like it but the powers to be at the AFL think otherwise.

Dec 18, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
There are only a few sport where woment enjoy equal status, Swimming and Tennis come to mind. the politically correct are trumpeting the inequality of it all but as many have said- it comes down to cold commercial realities.

Someone this morning on channel nine claimed that Hockey players are paid the same at national level, Hockey is an interesting case study as both the men and women are amongst the best in the world yet the local state based leagues whilst pretty competitive are mostly watched by family and friends.

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
Noting that you are a Collingwood supporter, then the case could be made that as Collingwood has Victoria's largest membership then it should have the biggest salary cap, I'm sure Eddie would like it but the powers to be at the AFL think otherwise.

Well that would be nice, but I'm thinking more in terms of leagues as a whole, e.g. the NBA generates $X per year, so the players are entitled to Y% of that.

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
i guess an obvious analogy would be the umpires. how often do you read on these pages about wanting to see full-time professional umpires, and this getting their skills up to scratch. surely it follows that women paid more will have better skills, then creating a better product. you can't acknowledge better pay produces professionalism, then complain that no-one wants to see their lack of skill so they don't deserve money. the argument is a fallacy.
in reality it's a niche product trying to create artificial demand, regardless of skill level. we're at saturation with the men.

in any case, i'd like to think women's afl would simply provide a different type of contest, rather than a less than optimum one. our footy tastes have grown accustomed to well drained, undercover stadiums. there are plenty of people who get upset at a game when not all possessions are delivered lace out. i kind of wish people could learn to appreciate the contest that still exists in a shitty skilled game.

(also not just saying that because of any carlton shitty skill)

That pay is pretty low but let's not forget that they are CHOOSING to go to the Women's World Cup, no one is forcing them. They are doing it to represent their nation on the world stage.

I'm sure you could find male & female athletes in other sports that have to pay their own way to represent their nation overseas as their chosen sports doesn't have the financial backing.

Wasn't there stories about Australian bob sled teams having to borrow equipment etc?
But the financial support given to male soccer players is disproportionate greater for athletes who are on good coin already. I prefer funding support to those who can't make a living representing our country.

La Dolce Vita

Club Legend
May 31, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
First thing the majority of women should learn is what Equality actually means

Its fairly evident from these ignorant articles that they have no idea

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

As has already been discussed a number of times, she got her ass handed to her by the #203 ranked man, after he'd had a couple of beers.

Back