Discussion Maligned designs you like (and opposite)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure why they don't just amend their constitution and invert the colours.
Personally I don't think you will get agreement on the situation and I dont think the powers at be would see the inverse as an essendon jumper. Hopefully ua can do some magic that the club likes and we will get a well designed clash kit.

i don't mind this one in theory but the execution is pretty bad in a few ways.
-the kangaroo is on the stomach rather than higher up on the chest, when you've got a design element that draws the eye in the middle of the jumper you don't want it to be that far down
-the curved line separating the stripes from the kangaroo isn't pronounced enough of a curve, it just looks like an awkward line in the middle of the jumper that's too high to be a hoop and too low to be a yoke
-there aren't stripes under the line on the back, so the back looks really empty
-the line doesn't match up on the front and the back. this is the biggest issue because it looks like they didn't even think through how the jumper would actually look stitched together.

my revised version:
NMFCKitRooPanel@4x.png

Remember the Puma milk jumper?
How could anyone forget?
I think red, yellow and black can work. The Pura milk jumper was just straight early 2000s hideousness. A more conservative approach to the yellow would look sweet. They really should have worn yellow to commemorate WW1 in some aspect, seeing as the club replaced white with yellow in support of our Belgian allies during the war.

Haven't we debunked the constitution thing?

(e) The uniform for the AFL Premiership Season must consist of a black jumper or guernsey with a red sash, red and black socks and white or black shorts. Such uniform must be worn at all matches subject to the rules and directions of the AFL.

That’s the constitution. We have to wear red on black unless directed to by the AFL, basically, as they do with clashes.

I like the red sash as it’s the single enduring symbol of the club. It’s never changed and I think we should stick with it. The only change I’d make is to give the clash jumper proper black outlines on the sash.

I also wouldn’t even mind the same design on white. I reckon a red sash on white looks really good, I remember when the Swans wore it. It’d be a cool third kit for occasional use I think, maybe away against St Kilda and Melbourne. White jumper, red sash, black outlines.

Just not *in silver!

(e) The uniform for the AFL Premiership Season must consist of a black jumper or guernsey with a red sash, red and black socks and white or black shorts. Such uniform must be worn at all matches subject to the rules and directions of the AFL.

That’s the constitution. We have to wear red on black unless directed to by the AFL, basically, as they do with clashes.

I like the red sash as it’s the single enduring symbol of the club. It’s never changed and I think we should stick with it. The only change I’d make is to give the clash jumper proper black outlines on the sash.

I also wouldn’t even mind the same design on white. I reckon a red sash on white looks really good, I remember when the Swans wore it. It’d be a cool third kit for occasional use I think, maybe away against St Kilda and Melbourne. White jumper, red sash, black outlines.

Just not fu**in silver!
Ah that's right

What about a bright red jumper and a darkN deep red sash?

The constitution says black with a red sash, not a red sash on black. The black outline just makes sense because it allows the sash to be seen and originally it just added some black to the grey jumper.

That part of the constitution becomes impossible to uphold because wearing our home jumper is deemed to be against the rules against certain clubs when playing away. So theoretically, Essendon can wear any design as a clash jumper.

Old image (originally from Call Me Cake according to google) but for merch $ opportunities etc I’d be fine with a third kit for a couple of games per season because as Sydney showed, it’s a great design.

images

Imagine the ferals would go nuts though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would really like to see Essendon adopt a double sash for a clash jumper.
It would be unique to the league, it would keep the red sash and it would incorporate a black sash.
View attachment 906436
Not a bad design. I think as long as it has black around the red sash it will be allowed.

Actually quite liked Melbourne's 2014 clash jumper, maybe if the navy side panels we dropped it would look better but it's probably the best white-based clash they could have.
View attachment 900386
The idea wasn't bad but I was never a fan of the big side panels. I made my own version of it with a thick navy chevron below the yoke along with some navy cuffs to add a bit more blue.

Melbourne White Clash Full Kit.jpg

Another one that’d look great on white I think
I'm not big on white, I actually prefer grey to keep the colours different from St. Kilda.
I think grey would have worked if we just used a light shade, the mid grey was very dreary.

Essendon White Clash Full Kit.jpg
Essendon Silver Clash Full Kit.jpg

I would like to keep the sash unbroken but it looks a lot cleaner and the numbers are a lot more legible like this.

I'm not big on white, I actually prefer grey to keep the colours different from St. Kilda.
I think grey would have worked if we just used a light shade, the mid grey was very dreary.

View attachment 906593
View attachment 906596

I would like to keep the sash unbroken but it looks a lot cleaner and the numbers are a lot more legible like this.

Prefer the white personally... I look at that and I think Essendon, not St Kilda. But yeah, if grey would have to be very light grey.

Perhaps the sash could be unbroken if the numbers had a white / grey outline. Dunno if that’d work.

Why doesn't Essendon just invert its colours, but in the middle of the black sash, have the thinnest of thin red lines running all the way through. Technically that would then be a red sash with a black background. Constitution adhered to!

There doesn't have to be a red sash according to the constitution. All the constitution says is we have to wear a red sash on black unless directed to by the AFL.

The AFL has directed us to have a clash jumper that isn't black.

The red sash is something the club has chosen to stick with and I reckon it works well. I like having a single enduring link across everything. But even within that, there's a heap they can do. They've already done the grey with red sash, and the red with red sash. We could certainly do something like the designs from LeeARM above, they look great.

I don't think a plain black sash on red would necessarily look that great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back