Prediction Malthouse could be bang on the money here.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019: GWS beat Richmond @ Sydney, Richmond beat GWS @ Melbourne (home teams win - grand final home team wins)
2018: WC beat Collingwood @ Melbourne, WC beat Collingwood @ Perth (WC win everywhere and win gf away as well)
2017: Adelaide beat Richmond @ Adelaide (home teams win - grand final home team wins)
2016: Bulldogs beat Sydney @ Sydney (Bulldogs won away and at home - exception to rule)
2015: Hawthorn beat WC @ Perth, WC beat Hawthorn @ Perth (WC split with Hawthorn at home then lost grand final away)
2014: Sydney beat Hawthorn @ Sydney, Hawthorn beat Sydney @ Melbourne (home teams win - grand final home team wins)
2013: Hawthorn beat Fremantle @ Tasmania (home team wins again in grand final)
2012: Sydney beat Hawthorn @ Tasmania, Hawthorn beats Sydney @ Sydney (Sydney wins away grand final like the other results earlier in the year away team wins)

Every year a trend was followed other than 2016 and possibly 2015
When you compare a game in R3 to the GF you’re going to see different results, surely you understand this.

Correct, the point of the thread is MM's proposal not whiny victim based opinions, take it to a relevant thread.

Right now seems WA are not going to be hosting the GF, if any footy at all. Might not have any crowds at all anywhere.

"... whiny victim based opinions"

Should read, fact based opinions.

Sadly, I think you're right about WA missing out on hosting games. Chairman / Commandant McGowan has fixed that.

Frankly, I couldn't care less now as the season is absolutely shot. Whoever wins the GF (inc the asterisk that will go with it) will not have achieved a whole lot in my view. In fact, just give it to the Pies - they are overdue one.

Televised games with no crowds - absolute yawn fest. One of my great pleasures in life (when the WCE are winning at a Vic ground) is the sight of miserable looking Vic supporters sitting in the stands - truly beautiful sight. Absolutely delicious.

However it works - it will just be an 'asterisked' season - sadly.

In fact, I reckon the interstate clubs should have a choice about whether they want to play or not. If, it's all played in Vic, then we should just let the Vic clubs play out the remainder of the season.
Fewer clubs competing means they can put together a less stressful fixture. Positives all round. :westcoast:

Take out Geelong who have no inherent advantage playing at the MCG and it is not equal.
Nah nah nah, stop being so reasonable. We CHOSE to play games at the MCG, you know, so that Richmond and Collingwood members can get value on their 16 game memberships (yes you read that correctly) and so that Hawthorn can get enough replacement home games to sell an 11 game MCG membership to their Melbourne members, double dipping on that sweet sweet tasmanian government teet.

:rolleyes:

"... whiny victim based opinions"

Should read, fact based opinions.

Sadly, I think you're right about WA missing out on hosting games. Chairman / Commandant McGowan has fixed that.

Frankly, I couldn't care less now as the season is absolutely shot. Whoever wins the GF (inc the asterisk that will go with it) will not have achieved a whole lot in my view. In fact, just give it to the Pies - they are overdue one.

Televised games with no crowds - absolute yawn fest. One of my great pleasures in life (when the WCE are winning at a Vic ground) is the sight of miserable looking Vic supporters sitting in the stands - truly beautiful sight. Absolutely delicious.

However it works - it will just be an 'asterisked' season - sadly.

In fact, I reckon the interstate clubs should have a choice about whether they want to play or not. If, it's all played in Vic, then we should just let the Vic clubs play out the remainder of the season.
Fewer clubs competing means they can put together a less stressful fixture. Positives all round. :westcoast:

I'll leave your emotive comments about your inferiority complex about vic out of it, it's just bait and not thread relevant.

IF Freo and wc (and non vic) had that choice, they'd play. For starters they're gonna wanna a slice of the pie, whatever ever amount of $ is made out those games. Secondly and just as important it'd be bad PR if they didn't.

As far as an asterisk season goes, well that all depends on ones view on any season. Look at Richmonds premiership win, certainly a lot on here who view that as *, a lot on here who view any vic club flag as *. Why bother if one perceives it as not a level playing field, and has a chip on the shoulder about it? I say stfu and follow something else if it bothers one that much.

Fact of life it's not a completely equitable comp so every season has an *, this season looks likely to be a 17 round season - everyone plays each team once, all on the eastern seaboard. Seems even more level than normal, Non vic teams get more MCG exposure - bonus!

You can * it all you want, but instead of being miserable just enjoy it I say. Who knows by October we might be back to crowds and normal! Highly unlikely but one can hope.

Nah nah nah, stop being so reasonable. We CHOSE to play games at the MCG, you know, so that Richmond and Collingwood members can get value on their 16 game memberships (yes you read that correctly) and so that Hawthorn can get enough replacement home games to sell an 11 game MCG membership to their Melbourne members, double dipping on that sweet sweet tasmanian government teet.

:rolleyes:
Not sure how that works considering the last 3 seasons we've been fixtured 9, 9 and 8 games at the G all up.

Correct, the point of the thread is MM's proposal not whiny victim based opinions, take it to a relevant thread.

Strange how social isolation has put Mick back on the right track.

GF proposal and now giving China a kicking.

WOW, can almost forgive him for going home to coach the Wobbles. Almost.

You raise a really interesting point.

I’m not against clubs having a choice on whether they participate in the 2020 season.

Of course if they didn’t participate, I wouldn’t expect the AFL to be giving them any financial assistance this year; nor any monies from the equalisation fund for 2020. I’d also expect that there would not be any payments handed to these clubs to players to pay them, leaving the players to work it out with the clubs on an income for them as they have taken away their opportunity to play. At the very least there is a $25m outlay for a club right there.

I expect those in charge at clubs would have already thought the implications of your idea through and dismissed it quite early.

However, to your point, it may make some supporters happy to make such a stand.

I'll leave your emotive comments about your inferiority complex about vic out of it, it's just bait and not thread relevant.

IF Freo and wc (and non vic) had that choice, they'd play. For starters they're gonna wanna a slice of the pie, whatever ever amount of $ is made out those games. Secondly and just as important it'd be bad PR if they didn't.

As far as an asterisk season goes, well that all depends on ones view on any season. Look at Richmonds premiership win, certainly a lot on here who view that as *, a lot on here who view any vic club flag as *. Why bother if one perceives it as not a level playing field, and has a chip on the shoulder about it? I say stfu and follow something else if it bothers one that much.

Fact of life it's not a completely equitable comp so every season has an *, this season looks likely to be a 17 round season - everyone plays each team once, all on the eastern seaboard. Seems even more level than normal, Non vic teams get more MCG exposure - bonus!

You can * it all you want, but instead of being miserable just enjoy it I say. Who knows by October we might be back to crowds and normal! Highly unlikely but one can hope.

Oh good God - duplicity personified.

You state, "I'll leave your emotive comments ... out of it"

And then you go on to note, "... I say stfu and follow something else if it bothers one that much." And that's not emotive ... is it?

Geez ... no room for alternative opinions allowed in your world ... do you live and work on your own ... by any chance? Looks like the double standards are not the sole domain of the AFL hierarchy!

Fact - 2020 will be an asterisked season. The winner of the GF will be ... oh who really cares ...?

"... just enjoy it I say"

Enjoy ... what ... exactly?

Oh good God - duplicity personified.

You state, "I'll leave your emotive comments ... out of it"

And then you go on to note, "... I say stfu and follow something else if it bothers one that much." And that's not emotive ... is it?

Geez ... no room for alternative opinions allowed in your world ... do you live and work on your own ... by any chance? Looks like the double standards are not the sole domain of the AFL hierarchy!

Fact - 2020 will be an asterisked season. The winner of the GF will be ... oh who really cares ...?

"... just enjoy it I say"

Enjoy ... what ... exactly?

1/ No it's not emotive, it's advisory not to be.

2/ Where did I state there's no room for opinions other than mine? Just asking for relevance.

3/ No I work FIFO even in cv times, yes I live alone - Not sure of the relevance or your point of those two questions.

4/ Fact, going by your logic, every season in every single league around has an asterisk

5/ Enjoy whatever footy we get, or enjoy your misery, your choice. I'll enjoy the footy like others.

1/ No it's not emotive, it's advisory not to be.

2/ Where did I state there's no room for opinions other than mine? Just asking for relevance.

3/ No I work FIFO even in cv times, yes I live alone - Not sure of the relevance or your point of those two questions.

4/ Fact, going by your logic, every season in every single league around has an asterisk

5/ Enjoy whatever footy we get, or enjoy your misery, your choice. I'll enjoy the footy like others.

"Where did I state there's no room for opinions other than mine?"

Well at the risk of debating you on a simple point - would you not classify "stfu" as emotive? And telling someone to "stfu" basically says to the other person to not say anything and ... well ... "stfu"

Put simply, telling someone to "stfu" renders them unable to offer an opinion because you have told them to "stfu". Under that logic we only get to hear your opinion.

Not sure I can make that point any simpler!

And I might sound cranky about because I pay a touch over $9,000 per year for my six seats at Optus. If I can't go to the footy then there's little point to it in my opinion.

I get that you don't like my anti Vic sentiment.

Lastly, I wouldn't tell you to "stfu" - if for no other reason than it is simply bad manners.

Thanks. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Where did I state there's no room for opinions other than mine?"

Well at the risk of debating you on a simple point - would you not classify "stfu" as emotive? And telling someone to "stfu" basically says to the other person to not say anything and ... well ... "stfu"

Put simply, telling someone to "stfu" renders them unable to offer an opinion because you have told them to "stfu". Under that logic we only get to hear your opinion.

Not sure I can make that point any simpler!

And I might sound cranky about because I pay a touch over $9,000 per year for my six seats at Optus. If I can't go to the footy then there's little point to it in my opinion.

I get that you don't like my anti Vic sentiment.

Lastly, I wouldn't tell you to "stfu" - if for no other reason than it is simply bad manners.

Thanks. :)

That doesn't mean there's no room for others opinions, I don't have control to mute them, and would be hypocritical for an attempt to do so.

Just merely advising if you don't like something you don't have to, but painfully following something you don't like is averse to common sense.

That's what I meant by stfu - apologies probably worded it wrong and agree it's a little blunt.

McGowans restrictions relaxation measures (which I missed but was told by the neighbor) gives me confidence that maybe just maybe by October we might have a crowd at Optus so I can dream about attending a GF.:)

That doesn't mean there's no room for others opinions, I don't have control to mute them, and would be hypocritical for an attempt to do so.

Just merely advising if you don't like something you don't have to, but painfully following something you don't like is averse to common sense.

That's what I meant by stfu - apologies probably worded it wrong and agree it's a little blunt.

McGowans restrictions relaxation measures (which I missed but was told by the neighbor) gives me confidence that maybe just maybe by October we might have a crowd at Optus so I can dream about attending a GF.:)

"McGowans restrictions relaxation measures (which I missed but was told by the neighbor) gives me confidence that maybe just maybe by October we might have a crowd at Optus so I can dream about attending a GF.:)"

Now that would make me (and many others no doubt) feel better about the world - friggin Chairman McGowan needs to realise that he can't hold back the tide forever. :)

"McGowans restrictions relaxation measures (which I missed but was told by the neighbor) gives me confidence that maybe just maybe by October we might have a crowd at Optus so I can dream about attending a GF.:)"

Now that would make me (and many others no doubt) feel better about the world - friggin Chairman McGowan needs to realise that he can't hold back the tide forever. :)

No he can't and by looking at things he won't. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back