Scandal Malthouse leaves Mo Hope disgusted

Remove this Banner Ad

Mo lost the battle as soon as she was busted on her phone, more than once.
Just another self entitled millenial. YAWN.
Totally agree. She is blatantly disrespectful being on her phone when her attention should be on the event which I’m sure she was paid to attend.

To storm out (probably an excuse anyway to leave) sets a terrible example for my daughters who are taught to have a voice and stand up for what they believe in.

She would have gained a lot more respect being mature and putting her views across in disagreeing with MM. more powerful than running off and jumping on her phone again.

Just gives credence to what Brooke said about womens being more vulnerable to injury especially ACLs.
Wonder when Mo will apologise and admit that Mick was just considering the female athletes well being.

'Tis a curious sight I see off in the distance ... methinks it is a herd of swine flying in a backwards direction over what appears to be a lake of frozen flame!

Theres nothing likeable about Mo Hope.

That’s very harsh.

She’s a very sweet person who has a lovely backstory who got wheeled out by the AFL / Collingwood every five minutes who mounted her up on a pedestal of human virtuousness in front of the media.

On field expectations were sky-high and her form was hot and cold.

She has clearly struggled with the high profile she was given ...

... on the footy field anyway. She’s probably not doing too bad with establishing a profile.

Plenty of people end up earning a good living in the media even if some folks don’t think they’re likeable (see Newman, see Barrett, see Caro)

She seems to be one happy to call out others but not accept some heat coming back at her.

Even before she was recruited in the AFLW she has been a very vocal advocate for making the game exactly the same as the men’s game. Same ball. Same numbers. Same rules. It is a touchstone issue for her.

(That doesn’t justify her response though)

That wont earn you any respect.

If Malthouse said something she didnt like on a public panel, it has much more impact if she stays there and publicly challenges his comments.

You reckon? “Mo storms out of speaking engagement with Malthouse” appears to have had pretty big impact?

Instead she runs off and throws the coward attack of a keyboard warrior on social media. Not great for the club that invited her to be a speaking guest either.

Yeah, +1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont even insult my intelligence by putting this wanna be spud female footballer in the media.

I get it, she is a lesbian, with a hit mrs and was a pin up of the female game at its inauguration. Unfortunately for hera nd the media she is a pea heart spud, who has shown to be a level below the AFL womens players.

Is that the same pea heart spud who kicked five goals and was clear BOG in the 2016 All Stars game playing against your mob?

That’s very harsh.

She’s a very sweet person who has a lovely backstory who got wheeled out by the AFL / Collingwood every five minutes who mounted her up on a pedestal of human virtuousness in front of the media.

On field expectations were sky-high and her form was hot and cold.

She has clearly struggled with the high profile she was given ...

... on the footy field anyway. She’s probably not doing too bad with establishing a profile.

Plenty of people end up earning a good living in the media even if some folks don’t think they’re likeable (see Newman, see Barrett, see Caro)
Newman is a w***er, but played 300 games. Caro and Barrett are unlikable, but rightly or wrongly have been high achievers in their field.

Do not for one second compare any of them to Mo Hope, it is embarrassing!

You reckon? “Mo storms out of speaking engagement with Malthouse” appears to have had pretty big impact?

She's made the wrong impact though imo. If she was genuinely aggrieved with Mathouse, then she had the perfect opportunity to challenge him publicly and address the issue like an adult.

By storming out, leaving the club that wanted her as a guest speaker stranded and attacking Malthouse on social media, the impact has been: "Mo is a sook" - that's the narrative she created with her actions.

No problems with her taking issue with Malthouse, but she did it in a cowardly way.

Even before she was recruited in the AFLW she has been a very vocal advocate for making the game exactly the same as the men’s game. Same ball. Same numbers. Same rules. It is a touchstone issue for her.

Didn't they reduce the distance for a mark to be paid from 15m to 10m for AFLW only? What does she think about that?

That’s very harsh.

"I cannot believe what this disgrace of a man just said while on stage in front of so many kids and my partner. It's sickening."

Yeah, so very sweet.

Like my 5 y.o. grandson having a tantrum.

Except this lady ain't a 5 y.o.

Didn't they reduce the distance for a mark to be paid from 15m to 10m for AFLW only? What does she think about that?
As shes a vocal advocate for making the game the exact same, You probably answered your own question, What a redunant post

"I cannot believe what this disgrace of a man just said while on stage in front of so many kids and my partner. It's sickening."

Yeah, so very sweet.

Like my 5 y.o. grandson having a tantrum.

Except this lady ain't a 5 y.o.

Fair point.

One of the things that I reckon is very enjoyable about the women’s game is that the players seem like real people. Mary plays CHF and is a butcher. Jill plays FF and is a baker. Peta plays ruck and is a candlestick maker.

The women have rounded personalities that make them interesting beyond being a footy player ...

... maybe the men’s game was like that once upon a time, but these days you never see a player talk about anything that hasn’t been coached by a media trainer and stripped of all personality. Consider how strange Harry O’Brien’s behaviour was. Brodie Grundy likes street art ... these are the most interesting things we can say about our male footy players.

When Mo Hope was recruited by Collingwood - sure, she had kicked > 100 goals the previous session at St Kilda Sharks ....

... but she was also primary caregiver to her disabled sister. She was from a very large family. She ran her own business that she would get out of bed at 4am for. She used her AFLW earnings to buy a home for her Mum. She always handled herself very well in interviews. Yeah, she had some strong opinions about things but she only ever said good things about people ... IIRC she described Ed when she met him as “a very beautiful man”.

She was very exposed on social media and general media exposure and she copped the full brunt of it. You see a small microcosm of it on here: “Mo Hopeless” “Mo No Hope” are common taunts. A few years of that and it’s hardly surprising that a sweet person would turn not-so-sweet.

Fair point.

One of the things that I reckon is very enjoyable about the women’s game is that the players seem like real people. Mary plays CHF and is a butcher. Jill plays FF and is a baker. Peta plays ruck and is a candlestick maker.

The women have rounded personalities that make them interesting beyond being a footy player ...

... maybe the men’s game was like that once upon a time, but these days you never see a player talk about anything that hasn’t been coached by a media trainer and stripped of all personality. Consider how strange Harry O’Brien’s behaviour was. Brodie Grundy likes street art ... these are the most interesting things we can say about our male footy players.

When Mo Hope was recruited by Collingwood - sure, she had kicked > 100 goals the previous session at St Kilda Sharks ....

... but she was also primary caregiver to her disabled sister. She was from a very large family. She ran her own business that she would get out of bed at 4am for. She used her AFLW earnings to buy a home for her Mum. She always handled herself very well in interviews. Yeah, she had some strong opinions about things but she only ever said good things about people ... IIRC she described Ed when she met him as “a very beautiful man”.

She was very exposed on social media and general media exposure and she copped the full brunt of it. You see a small microcosm of it on here: “Mo Hopeless” “Mo No Hope” are common taunts. A few years of that and it’s hardly surprising that a sweet person would turn not-so-sweet.

Whether 'sweet persons' remain sweet as we grow older is a test of character under what the poet calls the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Then we grow up. TBH, I don't care about the social narrative. I watch footballers to kick goals. If they are axe murderers/orphans/saints - I don't care. Four Corners and bleeding hearts don't do it for me.

I mean, Darren Millane would these days have his own talk show, annointed by the Pope. He was not a 'rounded person' but busted his chops, broken bones, for the 'Pies.

Bugger 'rounded personalities'. They are there to play footy - not attend a dinner party.

Sure, Mo has been used, she hasn't realized the downside, and like Icarus, has been burnt.

But character and pedigree show out under pressure.

Take-out - social media is the work of the Devil.

Fair point.

I think you're overthinking it all.

She chose to put herself in the public eye. More so than just about every other AFLW player. Which is perfectly fine, but that comes with greater scrutiny of actions, both on and off field. She would have known that, and it can bring great benefits. The earnings you speak of for instance (she probably got paid for being on this panel). Also, people listen to what you say, but that also invites criticism.

In this case - act like a petulant child, get called out for it. If that's not something she ever wanted, then she probably should have made different choices a couple of years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back