Cancelled
Jul 16, 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers
I think you're overthinking it all.

She chose to put herself in the public eye. More so than just about every other AFLW player. Which is perfectly fine, but that comes with greater scrutiny of actions, both on and off field. She would have known that, and it can bring great benefits. The earnings you speak of for instance (she probably got paid for being on this panel). Also, people listen to what you say, but that also invites criticism.

In this case - act like a petulant child, get called out for it. If that's not something she ever wanted, then she probably should have made different choices a couple of years ago.
She chose to put herself in the public eye.

You nailed it right there, bud.

Whether 'sweet persons' remain sweet as we grow older is a test of character under what the poet calls the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Then we grow up.

To quote the famous philosopher Paul Hogan ...

Being poor and anonymous is normal
Being rich and famous is alright
Being rich and anonymous is much better
But being poor and famous, well, that just sucks.

I’ve never been one to subscribe to the sentiment that footy players are fair game for pillorying because they get paid a lot lot of money. But when AFLW marquee players are getting $18K and being mercilesslly hammered, well, that’s another league of bad.

TBH, I don't care about the social narrative. I watch footballers to kick goals. If they are axe murderers/orphans/saints - I don't care. Four Corners and bleeding hearts don't do it for me.

I mean, Darren Millane would these days have his own talk show, annointed by the Pope. He was not a 'rounded person' but busted his chops, broken bones, for the 'Pies.

Bugger 'rounded personalities'. They are there to play footy - not attend a dinner party.

I’d go further than that and say that they are not there to play footy either.

They’re there to represent us fans. Do you see much difference between the fans of AFL and soccer and NFL and baseball etc, etc? Of course not, the game doesn’t matter. If footy didn’t exist we’d be represented by and just as happily identify with teams of a different sport.

And is it really just winning games of sport that we care about? Ask an Essendon supporter if it is worth winning “whatever it takes” ... and they’ll provide clues that there is more to it than just winning.

Consider of-field antics like Ed’s ‘Ape-gate’ - why should we care? If all we care about is the footy and how damn good our footy team is, why should we care if the club President sticks his foot in his mouth? It’s because everybody from the club President to the rookie listed player represents us. When they do stupid things - whether on field or off field - then it reflects badly on us.

When they do good things - whether on field or off field - then it reflects well on us.

That’s what sponsors seem to think too.

Sure, Mo has been used, she hasn't realized the downside, and like Icarus, has been burnt.

Sure, but she probably could have received better support by people who were wiser and knew better.

But character and pedigree show out under pressure.

On field or off field? Do you care how she responds to pressure off field?

Sure, people do care, she wouldn’t have any media profile if people didn’t.

Take-out - social media is the work of the Devil.

+1

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
To quote the famous philosopher Paul Hogan ...

Being poor and anonymous is normal
Being rich and famous is alright
Being rich and anonymous is much better
But being poor and famous, well, that just sucks.

I’ve never been one to subscribe to the sentiment that footy players are fair game for pillorying because they get paid a lot lot of money. But when AFLW marquee players are getting $18K and being mercilesslly hammered, well, that’s another league of bad.

I’d go further than that and say that they are not there to play footy either.

They’re there to represent us fans. Do you see much difference between the fans of AFL and soccer and NFL and baseball etc, etc? Of course not, the game doesn’t matter. If footy didn’t exist we’d be represented by and just as happily identify with teams of a different sport.

And is it really just winning games of sport that we care about? Ask an Essendon supporter if it is worth winning “whatever it takes” ... and they’ll provide clues that there is more to it than just winning.

Consider of-field antics like Ed’s ‘Ape-gate’ - why should we care? If all we care about is the footy and how damn good our footy team is, why should we care if the club President sticks his foot in his mouth? It’s because everybody from the club President to the rookie listed player represents us. When they do stupid things - whether on field or off field - then it reflects badly on us.

When they do good things - whether on field or off field - then it reflects well on us.

That’s what sponsors seem to think too.

Sure, but she probably could have received better support by people who were wiser and knew better.

On field or off field? Do you care how she responds to pressure off field?

Sure, people do care, she wouldn’t have any media profile if people didn’t.

+1
While off-field is titillating, some of the time, on-field is really all that matters. IMO the only reason most of us chat about off-field is because a game only goes for a couple of hours and we need to talk about it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, even in the off season. Do I care that someone looks after their sick grandmother, drives a Bugatti Veyron or flies to the moon in their normal time? No, but sometimes I'll buy into the conversation through boredom (or whatever). People who don't play football do the same things.

"The game doesn't matter". Quote of the year, for the wrong reason.

"The game doesn't matter". Quote of the year, for the wrong reason.

It depends on the definition of “game”.

A game of Richmond v Collingwood? ... yes of course that does matter.

The collective game of AFL, the game that has rules about holding the ball and a goal = six points? If we didn’t have that game then we’d be forming tribes around a different game.

“The game doesn’t matter”, it’s the competitive pursuit between teams that represent tribes that matters.

sprockets

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
It depends on the definition of “game”.

A game of Richmond v Collingwood? ... yes of course that does matter.

The collective game of AFL, the game that has rules about holding the ball and a goal = six points? If we didn’t have that game then we’d be forming tribes around a different game.

“The game doesn’t matter”, it’s the competitive pursuit between teams that represent tribes that matters.
You're overthinking it.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Does she have to comment publicly on every single rule differently? Doesnt a blanket "i believe there should be no difference" not good enough for you?

Apparently the rule was rejected (in fact it was the only proposed rule change that was rejected), so it's a moot point. But 18m goal squares, free kick against for last touch out of bounds etc are on the cards for the AFLW. Malthouse said the game should be modified for women; looks as though the AFL agrees.

You're overthinking it.

I’m pulling on your thread of “on-field is all that really matters” ...

... a ball hasn’t been bounced in quite a while, and yet the tension between Collingwood and Brisbane over the last week feels as strong as a gameday.

Some of the biggest media names in the game - Barrett and Wilson - it’s rare they comment on anything that happens between the opening bounce and the final whistle of a game. Yeah, we love to hate them, but we all still click on their links and comment on stories.

Add Cal Twomey as someone who is somehow able to eke out a living as an AFL media person without having anything to do with what happens between the first bounce and the final siren.

When Ed sticks his foot in his mouth, it somehow becomes big news associated with Collingwood despite it having nothing to do with your “on-field is all that really matters”.

The main game is being played between tribes in the stands and around the water coolers and on social media. The footy on the field, and the machinations of trade and draft periods, and the scandals and the scuttlebutt are all just a means to an end.

sprockets

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I’m pulling on your thread of “on-field is all that really matters” ...

... a ball hasn’t been bounced in quite a while, and yet the tension between Collingwood and Brisbane over the last week feels as strong as a gameday.

Some of the biggest media names in the game - Barrett and Wilson - it’s rare they comment on anything that happens between the opening bounce and the final whistle of a game. Yeah, we love to hate them, but we all still click on their links and comment on stories.

Add Cal Twomey as someone who is somehow able to eke out a living as an AFL media person without having anything to do with what happens between the first bounce and the final siren.

When Ed sticks his foot in his mouth, it somehow becomes big news associated with Collingwood despite it having nothing to do with your “on-field is all that really matters”.

The main game is being played between tribes in the stands and around the water coolers and on social media. The footy on the field, and the machinations of trade and draft periods, and the scandals and the scuttlebutt are all just a means to an end.
Look, you said, "The game doesn't matter"... Take away the game and what do you have left? Zip.

Look, you said, "The game doesn't matter"... Take away Replace the game with another game like soccer or NFL or baseball instead and what do you have left? Pretty much the same thing.Zip

EFA

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Stop with the analysing, nit-picking every word, phrase etc. It's not a complicated matter, no need to make it more so.

Bottom line is that Mo was extraordinarily rude and bad mannered to the people who hired her and paid to see her....Her handling of the comments Mick made was pathetic. She was way out of line and showed no class at all......and yet she was offended? Give me a break.

She owes everyone in that room an apology.

FastLane

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2012
club tropicana
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
#TEAMWHAM
Hahaha, not even close!
go and look at their instagram pics form the races last weke- I swear i thought it was the same perosn.

Big hat,floppy fringe, pants that look like they shrunk in the wash, sunnies, tatts.

It's uncanny- both left pies for north
both have hot GF's
both are ordinary footballers

go and look at their instagram pics form the races last weke- I swear i thought it was the same perosn.

Big hat,floppy fringe, pants that look like they shrunk in the wash, sunnies, tatts.

It's uncanny- both left pies for north
both have hot GF's

Haha, all fair enough.

both are ordinary footballers

Both had unrealized potential.

Williams had a damn good period (2015 IIRC) but the wheels fell off after that.

Mo Hope did very well in the VWFL, All stars, Bulldogs v Melbourne games (BOG in the 2016 All Stars game) but her AFLW form has been patchy ranging from damn good (late 2018 season) to being dropped on form (early 2018 season).

DrEvil_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mo's barking up the wrong tree. Old Mick is just saying out loud what the campaigner Gill is doing, AFLW is set up as a micky mouse joke of a league.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Haha, all fair enough.

Both had unrealized potential.

Williams had a damn good period (2015 IIRC) but the wheels fell off after that.

Mo Hope did very well in the VWFL, All stars, Bulldogs v Melbourne games (BOG in the 2016 All Stars game) but her AFLW form has been patchy ranging from damn good (late 2018 season) to being dropped on form (early 2018 season).

Mo is a victim of the women’s game improving in quality while she hasn’t.

Just gives credence to what Brooke said about womens being more vulnerable to injury especially ACLs.
Wonder when Mo will apologise and admit that Mick was just considering the female athletes well being.

To be completely fair, it doesn't.

Malthouse seemed to be "suggesting" that women should see reduced contact, what with no bumping and tackling but not to the ground. ACL injuries are not sustained as a result of tackling, but rather usually from a poor landing on a single leg, or a bad pivot.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Fwiw AFLW players are more than twice as likely to suffer a (reported) concussion causing a missed game than the men which would support Mick’s argument.

Across multiple codes the proportion of non-contact ACLs is about 75%

dzussy

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
She still getting mileage off this ???
9/11 didn't get this much.
Society has lost the friggin plot, that probably explains that sh!t Blind Date show too.

gambino125

Debutant
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fwiw AFLW players are more than twice as likely to suffer a (reported) concussion causing a missed game than the men which would support Mick’s argument.

Across multiple codes the proportion of non-contact ACLs is about 75%
I'm starting to see studies but that women across multiple sports internationally experience anywhere between 5 to 10 times the ACL injuries. Current studies done on mice suggest it may be testosterone that helps men have them at a lower rate. Early days, but nonetheless, would suggest Mick was right.

gambino125

Debutant
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm starting to see studies but that women across multiple sports internationally experience anywhere between 5 to 10 times the ACL injuries. Current studies done on mice suggest it may be testosterone that helps men have them at a lower rate. Early days, but nonetheless, would suggest Mick was right.
To be completely fair, it doesn't.

Malthouse seemed to be "suggesting" that women should see reduced contact, what with no bumping and tackling but not to the ground. ACL injuries are not sustained as a result of tackling, but rather usually from a poor landing on a single leg, or a bad pivot.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs

There would be a lot of factors that add up to give that gap.
Hormonal
Absolute strength levels
anatomical structure (shape of pelvis, femoral torsion etc)
Sociological (do women engage in as much strength training as men due to fear of becoming bulky etc)

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Not sure why studies are required. Women's bodies are different to a mens. Women cannot build up the same strength as a man. It is impossible. If you have a weak man, a woman could be stronger than him, but if a man and woman both train at the same level for same amount of time, the man will be stronger and the man will eventually reach a point that the woman cannot get to, no matter what she does. A ligament is not a muscle, but ligaments are just another part of the body that requires strengthening, especially if you are using that part of the body at an elite capacity. Male football players train all year to play football. AFLW players would need to do a significant amount more training than an AFL male player, to strengthen their body to a level even close to a man. Playing AFLW for 2 months of the year and spending the rest of the time playing Basketball or Hockey as a lot of AFLW players do, is not great physical prep for a sport such as Football where these injuries are common.

gambino125

Debutant
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There would be a lot of factors that add up to give that gap.
Hormonal
Absolute strength levels
anatomical structure (shape of pelvis, femoral torsion etc)
Sociological (do women engage in as much strength training as men due to fear of becoming bulky etc)
Yep absolutely, just leading with what i read off the top of me head. Testosterone allows for strength building. Anatomical structure absolutely that was another one that has been bandied around. The women also just wont' have the sheer number of years experience building up their bodies.

gambino125

Debutant
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure why studies are required. Women's bodies are different to a mens. Women cannot build up the same strength as a man. It is impossible. If you have a weak man, a woman could be stronger than him, but if a man and woman both train at the same level for same amount of time, the man will be stronger and the man will eventually reach a point that the woman cannot get to, no matter what she does. A ligament is not a muscle, but ligaments are just another part of the body that requires strengthening, especially if you are using that part of the body at an elite capacity. Male football players train all year to play football. AFLW players would need to do a significant amount more training than an AFL male player, to strengthen their body to a level even close to a man. Playing AFLW for 2 months of the year and spending the rest of the time playing Basketball or Hockey as a lot of AFLW players do, is not great physical prep for a sport such as Football where these injuries are common.
Yes, why be scientific about anything. Yet you proceed to attempt to be authoritative with generalised statements that anyone whose been around football would already know.

Back