Malthouse wants round 1 scrapped

Remove this Banner Ad

No one was concerned about Hawkins v Reid, even with the limp, until Hawkins tore us to shreds.

They were by the end of the first quarter. Its called making in game moves and adjusting for the situation.

No one was concerned pre game because they thought Reid was right to go, enough to be selected for a gf. By the end of the 1st quarter it was very evident he should not of been out there and it was allowing Hawkins to kill us.

They were by the end of the first quarter. Its called making in game moves and adjusting for the situation.

No one was concerned pre game because they thought Reid was right to go, enough to be selected for a gf. By the end of the 1st quarter it was very evident he should not of been out there and it was allowing Hawkins to kill us.
That's how I saw it, watching it live.

Could be wrong, but my memory doesnt have Hawkins coming into it until the third quarter. Agree that a move should have been made when Hawkins started to torch Reid, but MM tended to back the player in and give him a chance to make amends for a couple of contests lost. It was a strength and a weakness.

Could be wrong, but my memory doesnt have Hawkins coming into it until the third quarter. Agree that a move should have been made when Hawkins started to torch Reid, but MM tended to back the player in and give him a chance to make amends for a couple of contests lost. It was a strength and a weakness.
There’s a difference between making amends for a lost contest and keeping a clearly lame player out there, particularly when you have a better match up for him playing on a small forward...

There’s a difference between making amends for a lost contest and keeping a clearly lame player out there, particularly when you have a better match up for him playing on a small forward...
Turns out it should have been changed quicker, but argument is that Tazz was the best match up for both Hawkins and Johnson - you're way underselling Stevie J by describing him as a small forward. Choosing to put Taz on the more dangerous option wasn't as stupid as it's described.

Turns out it should have been changed quicker, but argument is that Tazz was the best match up for both Hawkins and Johnson - you're way underselling Stevie J by describing him as a small forward. Choosing to put Taz on the more dangerous option wasn't as stupid as it's described.
In an iteration of our backline where we don’t have all of O’Brien, Maxwell and Toovey as options sure but the fact remains we had plenty of appropriate match ups for him that could do the job as good if not better than Tarrant (maybe not Maxwell). I think we’ll agree to disagree but that selection and retention of that match up was headstrong and stupid of him.

It didn’t help having Alex Fasolo as the sub. He was never likely as a first year player to be able to make a meaningful contribution.

If we had had a legitimate bench option to come on then Malthouse might have been more comfortable taking Reid off .... Goldsack for example.....

In an iteration of our backline where we don’t have all of O’Brien, Maxwell and Toovey as options sure but the fact remains we had plenty of appropriate match ups for him that could do the job as good if not better than Tarrant (maybe not Maxwell). I think we’ll agree to disagree but that selection and retention of that match up was headstrong and stupid of him.

I have no doubt that Malthouse had a stinker. But I refuse to acknowledge that his mistakes had anything to do with what was going on behind the scenes at the club. Or even more ridiculous, implications I have read over the years that somehow he decided to deliberately sabotage the club....

I have no doubt that Malthouse had a stinker. But I refuse to acknowledge that his mistakes had anything to do with what was going on behind the scenes at the club. Or even more ridiculous, implications I have read over the years that somehow he decided to deliberately sabotage the club....

Agreed this deliberate sabotage argument is laughable to the extreme. Just think it through. Had the Pies under Malthouse gone back to back, and they got very close, think how awkward it would have been for McGuire and Pert to actually facilitate the coaching handover.

If supporters thought that Malthouse was deliberately sabotaging the club, then he deserves an academy award for his acting performance after the siren at the end of the 2011 PF. Or was Malthouse that skilled at the art of sabotage that he was able to conjure a result in the GF whereby the Pies were only 7 points down at 3 quarter time before going on to lose. Maybe he and Chris Scott met before the game and Malthouse proposed that he would tank the game buts let's keep it tight until the end. That's plausible.

Agreed this deliberate sabotage argument is laughable to the extreme. Just think it through. Had the Pies under Malthouse gone back to back, and they got very close, think how awkward it would have been for McGuire and Pert to actually facilitate the coaching handover.

If supporters thought that Malthouse was deliberately sabotaging the club, then he deserves an academy award for his acting performance after the siren at the end of the 2011 PF. Or was Malthouse that skilled at the art of sabotage that he was able to conjure a result in the GF whereby the Pies were only 7 points down at 3 quarter time before going on to lose. Maybe he and Chris Scott met before the game and Malthouse proposed that he would tank the game buts let's keep it tight until the end. That's plausible.
Wow what an Einstein !!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Help your club?

You don't have a club.

Just your ego.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back