Malthouse: What changes can we expect?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing this will be good for Kane Lucas.
I'm hoping Gibbs can play a similar role to Swan.

1. High focus on boundary line play. Lots of blocking/shepherding/borderline illegal tactics off the ball.
2. All teams just follow the cluster*-follow-the-football structure, so no changes here. We don't have the personnel to win 1v1 marking contests so it'll just be what to do with the onballers and who is more damaging in certain field positions.
3. Gibbs moved, yarran experimented with, walker solidified somewhere other than a random dice roll, more midfield rotations through the forward line, 1 main ruck option and a part-timer, no more 3 witches hats.
4. The personnel who actually give a s**t. Thanks for your services Garlett. Mick is friends with nobody and will demand a bunch of footballers who are there to play instead of having a kick with mates.
5. Lucas, Thornton (if he had stayed), Ellard, Joseph. There was nothing wrong with these players from a potential point of view.

• No boundary line butt slapping.
  • No calmness when the players are playing heartless footy... he'll rocket them.
  • Take no shyte attitude... Mick's way or the highway.
  • Supporters supporting the coach.
  • Players respecting him because of his aura..
  • We'll either set the groundwork for success or else it'll be a failure...

I think there's several guys on Carlton's list who are loaded with potential but have never put it together/got the right role to deliver the goods. A change of coach *may* be the trigger for them.

One thing I think is a given is that half-arsed efforts and laziness will be met with a serious dressing down, rather than "better luck next time" buddiness. Which is a good thing.

I'm expecting more of a focus on slower, more deliberate ball use. I really hated the idea of playing this style with the team we had, but since Casboult came in and showed he can take a contested mark I'm a lot more optimistic about it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players who don't put in finding themselves in the magoos. Those who do a Yaz in the magoos find themselves staying there. 1AW being told where he is playing whether he likes it or not, and it will be as our nasty defender - last game on Milne was his best for the year. Someone (not Gibbs) playing the Maxwell role, not sure we have that person but maybe Laidler if he recovers.

No more everywhere men

Flexibility is great but Walker, Robinson, Gibbs, Russell, Armfield and more all got thrown around to every part of the ground this year with varied results. Get these guys in consistent solid roles where they play week in week out, get to know the guys they will be playing with and gel with them and we'll be better off

No more everywhere men

Flexibility is great but Walker, Robinson, Gibbs, Russell, Armfield and more all got thrown around to every part of the ground this year with varied results. Get these guys in consistent solid roles where they play week in week out, get to know the guys they will be playing with and gel with them and we'll be better off
Actually i remember a conversation on radio about Carlton (can't remember who exactly) but one of the things they were talking about was that Carlton's predictability was one of their downfalls. Mentioned how it was easier to prepare against us because you knew exactly where players would line up on most occasions. Our forwards are all mainly one dimensional and don't play much else. Same with a lot of our mids.

Take Collingwood for example. Blair, Sidebottom, Beams, Swan, Wellingham etc can all rotate seamlessly through forwardline and midfield at any time, but with Betts and Garlett their defenders could prepare to stick with them 95% of the day at home in our forwardline.

What they were saying i tended to go along with, we have quite a few one trick ponies.

Actually i remember a conversation on radio about Carlton (can't remember who exactly) but one of the things they were talking about was that Carlton's predictability was one of their downfalls. Mentioned how it was easier to prepare against us because you knew exactly where players would line up on most occasions. Our forwards are all mainly one dimensional and don't play much else. Same with a lot of our mids.

Take Collingwood for example. Blair, Sidebottom, Beams, Swan, Wellingham etc can all rotate seamlessly through forwardline and midfield at any time, but with Betts and Garlett their defenders could prepare to stick with them 95% of the day at home in our forwardline.

What they were saying i tended to go along with, we have quite a few one trick ponies.

Firstly I disagree. Both Betts and Garlett spent significant time upfield this year. Garlett won 6 clearances in a game playing as a wingman/mid.

Secondly, you miss my point. At Collingwood under Mick the midfield was fluid through HFF to HBF, but each player had a role in the game plan. Thomas was the reciever and set up off the back of stoppages to get the dish out, Sidebottom/Beams pushed up from HFF into the midfield then spread hard back into the fifty to creat a multitude of options. Guys like Wellingham and Swan were midfielders who got goals through the spread and out of good stoppage play not because they played significant time in the 50.

Also Beams and Blair hardly played in the middle under Mick, but Didak did both.

One thing I'd really like to see is more players who are backed in to go from 50, have a few blokes who can roost it yet no one has the go ahead

For starters, under Malthouse I'd expect Carlton to smash the likes of Gold Coast & Port Adelaide.
He'll lift the standards and players will run through walls for him. It will be a big shock for those players who want to cruise through under the pretence of being an AFL footballer. Weak, half ar$ed efforts will not be tolerated. It will be an expectation that everyone gets onboard to win a premiership. Hairstyles from Ciccone's will be discouraged.

There'll be unicorns frolicking amongst the fairy-floss trees, and the rivers will run with chocolate. Either that, or it'll rain beer and strippers.
Sounds like Gibbs will be right at home if it's the former

Sorry :oops: I do like you Bryce

Actually the main change will be a bit of artwork on the bodies as per Swan, Cloke and Beams. Besides a little bit on 2E we are a bit colourless. If only Bootsma had arms instead of chopsticks he would at least look the part.

I expect a hard nosed approach to discipline and team game plans and the unveiling of new look B Gibbs in a feature role on the field and a massive turn around, we are about to see the real Gibbs now elevate his game to a level that we know he can on a consistent basis.

Ohh i also forgot, i expect Travis Cloke in navy Blue next year as well! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back