Malthouse will be coaching elsewhere

Remove this Banner Ad

Can I ask a couple of sincere questions of Collingwood supporters?

1- Do you believe Mick Malthouse is happy about this handover arrangement? ie. do you sense satisfaction or unease/tension about it?

2- Do you believe he has a good relationship with Nathan Buckley? How would you describe his feelings towards him from what you've seen?

3 - Do you believe Mick will see out his contract with Collingwood?

1. Probably not, but he has had 11 years.More than fair and on huge coin too.If he wins the flag this year he can go out on top as a club legend

2. Seems professional enough to me, Thats all that matters

3. No but he might wait a year until 2013 to take over another team. Wouldn't be surprised to see him coaching carlton next year either. A contract isn't worth anything to coaches anymore.The other factor though is how much Mick enjoys the media. He might make a move to the box next year leaving him to keep his contract with us.Toss a coin

If you win the flag this year and Malthouse coaches somewhere else next year then you guys would have ****ed this up big time. It's inconceivable a coach who has just won you two premierships would not be retained again in favour of an untried coach. Eddies cleverness may bite him on the arse.

I wonder whether that would really happen.

Why would you 86 the best coach in the game, coming off back to back (say) premierships? just because of a stupid deal with an untried assistant coach?

I think Buckley will move on at that point, as I can't see that you would try and shift mick sideways when he wants to keep coaching.

but in any case, Mick has continually made it clear he wants to keep coaching and I think he will be a head coach in 2012. I think it will probably be at Collingwood.

but if he leaves, Hawthorn anyone?

Hmm... There's ridiculous extrapolation and wild speculation on one hand, and Mick Malthouse and his manager both repeatedly saying that he will stay, saying that "the contract will prevail" on the other hand...

It's tough - Both positions are equally valid :rolleyes:

you're surprised that they are not publicly saying they intend to break their contract?

shocking :eek: :p

1. For the most part. When he signed it, it was 10 years without success. He may have a few doubts now but he's arrogant and won't be thinking that he made the mistake by signing the contract.

this frustrates me as its completely untrue to suggest that Mick had no success in 10 years.

he took over a spoon winning team, 2 rebuilds, back to back grand finals, a stack of preliminary finals etc

he had a lot of success in those 10 years.

Eddie won't allow a public fallout with Collingwood's greatest coach since McHale.

Malthouse is our fourth greatest coach behind McHale (8 flags) Kyne (2 flags) and Matthews ( 1 flag but it didnt take him ten years). Probably fifth or sixth if Bob Rose ( 3 losing GF's) and Tom Hafey (4 losing GF's) had had an ounce of luck.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Up until we won the flag last year Collingwood were considered the butt of jokes for hanging on to an unsuccessful coach for so long.

Malthouse is our fourth greatest coach behind McHale (8 flags) Kyne (2 flags) and Matthews ( 1 flag but it didnt take him ten years). Probably fifth or sixth if Bob Rose ( 3 losing GF's) and Tom Hafey (4 losing GF's) had had an ounce of luck.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Up until we won the flag last year Collingwood were considered the butt of jokes for hanging on to an unsuccessful coach for so long.

the last paragraph is vintage delusion straight from your top draw Timmy. you've out done yourself. :thumbsu:

If we go back to back this year, for his own sake, Buckley should voluntarily offer to postpone his appointment as head coach for at least another 12 months. If the Pies do take the flag this year and Buckley takes over for 2012, no matter what Collingwood do in his first year, No credit will go to Nathan.

2012 Scenario #1: Collingwood fail to win a 3rd flag in a row, The media will crucify Nathan, as surely Malthouse would have won it with this young and talented list.

2012 Scenario #2: Collingwood completes the three-peat, Everybody in the business will point to Mick Malthouse's list and game plan as the reason whilst discounting Nathan Buckley's role in the 2012 Premiership, saying that anybody could have taken this well drilled side to the premiership dais.
It is virtually impossible to go four in a row in today's game, so when Nathan's Collingwood doesn't come close to the 2013 flag, it will be pointed out, that it was entirely his fault and that Collingwood made a massive mistake by replacing Mick.

I don't like the idea of replacing the coach that just took us to a premiership with a rookie. I'll hate the idea even more if Collingwood win it again this year. But what's to say if Malthouse was given another year in 2012 that the team would again be successful? It's possible that what Collingwood will need next year is fresh ideas and new blood leading them. It's working for Geelong.

If we go back to back this year, for his own sake, Buckley should voluntarily offer to postpone his appointment as head coach for at least another 12 months. If the Pies do take the flag this year and Buckley takes over for 2012, no matter what Collingwood do in his first year, No credit will go to Nathan.

2012 Scenario #1: Collingwood fail to win a 3rd flag in a row, The media will crucify Nathan, as surely Malthouse would have won it with this young and talented list.

2012 Scenario #2: Collingwood completes the three-peat, Everybody in the business will point to Mick Malthouse's list and game plan as the reason whilst discounting Nathan Buckley's role in the 2012 Premiership, saying that anybody could have taken this well drilled side to the premiership dais.
It is virtually impossible to go four in a row in today's game, so when Nathan's Collingwood doesn't come close to the 2013 flag, it will be pointed out, that it was entirely his fault and that Collingwood made a massive mistake by replacing Mick.

I don't like the idea of replacing the coach that just took us to a premiership with a rookie. I'll hate the idea even more if Collingwood win it again this year. But what's to say if Malthouse was given another year in 2012 that the team would again be successful? It's possible that what Collingwood will need next year is fresh ideas and new blood leading them. It's working for Geelong.
Ahhh a voice of reason for a change. . . .

Up until October last year many of you. . . . people. . . . were calling Malthouse a fossil and a hack. :rolleyes:

Now because it suits your purpose - after months of berating Pies fans for daring to talk of back to back premierships you are now ranting about it and using it for an excuse to attack Buckley. :(

Sad, just plain sad. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the last paragraph is vintage delusion straight from your top draw Timmy. you've out done yourself. :thumbsu:

The delusion is coming from yourself CM.

Timmy is actually correct. You may have had a different opinion but the general consensus was that Collingwood were fools to have kept Malthouse for a decade without any silverware, playing a boring boundary hugging game plan, didn't know how to develop superstars, didn't know how to develop "great" teams etc. Even Kevin Sheedy last year wrote an article that summed up all of the points I just mentioned.

The fact is, if Malthouse had not won the 2010 premiership and then failed to do so again in 2011, he'd be on footy's scrap pile of expired used-by date coaches.

Whilst it is fascinating and intriguing as to how Collingwood's plan will play out it has already delivered on it's goal.

Melbourne are the perfect fit for Malthouse. Raw young list that has talent but their improvement appears to have stalled this year.

Malthouse would also like the appeal of a team that hasn't tasted premiership for 47 years.

Brings me to Buckley. Why would you want to take over a team that is at the top of their game, won a premiership and will replace one of the all time great coaches. Strange decision - thought you would want to develop your own list. But then again that sums up Buckley.

Yep, there's logic to that argument, for sure. I'm sentimental and would like to see Bailey take Melbourne to the next level, but I doubt anyone would refuse Malthouse if he was available.

It would appeal to Malthouse's ego, too, to take Melbourne to the top for the first time since Norm Smith. It would probably also see him coach the most games ever. He would inherit a pretty good list and a club in good shape.

Having said that, I'm not sure we could afford him.

Timmy is actually correct. You may have had a different opinion but the general consensus was that Collingwood were fools to have kept Malthouse for a decade without any silverware, playing a boring boundary hugging game plan, didn't know how to develop superstars, didn't know how to develop "great" teams etc. Even Kevin Sheedy last year wrote an article that summed up all of the points I just mentioned.

The fact is, if Malthouse had not won the 2010 premiership and then failed to do so again in 2011, he'd be on footy's scrap pile of expired used-by date coaches.

Whilst it is fascinating and intriguing as to how Collingwood's plan will play out it has already delivered on it's goal.

ah look every club, like every village has its unique members that much i dont dispute. but because special cases like you and timmy believe such nonsense doesn't make it true.

Timmy is actually correct. You may have had a different opinion but the general consensus was that Collingwood were fools to have kept Malthouse for a decade without any silverware.

Exactly, it wasnt MY opinion but general opinion.

Personally I was a Malthouse supporter all the way along, but until we started playing decent football somewhere in the middle of 2010, opposition fans couldnt help themselves but troll about the fact that Malthouse had been at the club for ten years without success.

ah look every club, like every village has its unique members that much i dont dispute. but because special cases like you and timmy believe such nonsense doesn't make it true.

There a million references on Bigfooty to Malthouse being the longest serving failed coach in history and a gameplan that will never win a premiership, etc etc etc.

I hate to have to agree with Timmy (trust me this hurts plenty) but he is right in that there was a lot of anti Mick sentiments being posted by Pies supporters before the 2010 season and in fact, even through the first half of 2010. Many Pies supporters gave MM a caning due to the boundary hugging gameplan and lack of "success". I would argue that with the list MM has had over the years at Collingwood he has been successful but that wasn't the view of many (maybe even majority) of Pies supporters.

And opposition fans too.

Now suddenly he seems to have leap-frogged Rose, Hafey, Matthews and Kyne and is now Collingwoods second greatest ever coach.

From boiled lollies to chocolates in an instant!

And while I agree with what your saying (even purely because I was always an admirer or Malthouse), and while the thread has also gone into this direction - this is not why the thread was started.

This is about Mick's comments, which many have already concurred that the most logical assumption is - his looking for a future outside of Victoria Park.

Modern AFL footy, a coach is only as good as the weakest supporting link.

Obviously Eddie Everywhere has been very successful in providing the best possible support for his main man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back