Man Cave chrome cast vs Foxtel vs Imparja/channel 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2006
Far West SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Panthers, Double Blues
In need of advice as the family have had enough of my Jenkins caused rants and my strange new declaration of love for the Berg - I have been banished to the shed and need your counselling and advice...
I currently have Foxtel to watch games as I live in regional SA and do not get Adelaide channels. I am looking at purchasing a new smart TV for the cave to watch games. The shed is about 20 metres from the house {WIFI signal} so can I somehow access Foxtel without running more cables or should I try Foxtel Go? Or are there other options?
Also does Foxtel Go have the racing channels?

I haven't actually been banished to Winterfell but have been cleaning up the shed.
Thanks in advance from a slightly tech dummie.

In need of advice as the family have had enough of my Jenkins caused rants and my strange new declaration of love for the Berg - I have been banished to the shed and need your counselling and advice...
I currently have Foxtel to watch games as I live in regional SA and do not get Adelaide channels. I am looking at purchasing a new smart TV for the cave to watch games. The shed is about 20 metres from the house {WIFI signal} so can I somehow access Foxtel without running more cables or should I try Foxtel Go? Or are there other options?

I haven't actually been banished to Winterfell but have been cleaning up the shed.

You have access to Foxtel on the web with your account, I think it’s watch.foxtel.com.au. If you have a spare laptop or PC laying about with HDMI then hook that up and just play from the computer. I do this all the time while camping. As for WiFI, if you don’t get a strong signal you could purchase a booster or given the distance look at running some Ethernet from house to shed from the modem. Don’t bother buying another foxtel box, waste of money. If you only watch sport in the shed then get an apple tv and load up Kayo, I just ditched Foxtel to use Apple TV, Kayo and Netflix and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have access to Foxtel on the web with your account, I think it’s watch.foxtel.com.au. If you have a spare laptop or PC laying about with HDMI then hook that up and just play from the computer. I do this all the time while camping. As for WiFI, if you don’t get a strong signal you could purchase a booster or given the distance look at running some Ethernet from house to shed from the modem. Don’t bother buying another foxtel box, waste of money. If you only watch sport in the shed then get an apple tv and load up Kayo, I just ditched Foxtel to use Apple TV, Kayo and Netflix and love it.

So I was going to just get another TV from Kogan will that work? And I just need the Apple TV HD device?

you just need wifi coverage, a powerpoint and a spare hdmi port on the TV for apple TV.

If you go the Kayo route, just be aware it uses a lot of data so you need a reasonably fast broadband connection and you will chew through your allowance if you have one. I think Kayo uses 6-8gb/hr and you might need abut 10mb/s for a smooth stream.

I just took my MacBook out to the shed and lost the WIFI signal so I doubt it is going to be strong enough to use that option without some form of "booster".

if you're shed is on the same power circuit as your house, you may be able to run ethernet over powerline adaptors. That's how I'm running Kayo on my two Nvidia Shield TVs as I thought the wifi may be too flaky.

I just took my MacBook out to the shed and lost the WIFI signal so I doubt it is going to be strong enough to use that option without some form of "booster".
Maybe look in to a wifi extender. They supposedly relay the signal, rather than boost it.

The one I use works pretty well, though it’s all inside. Modem is in the office (near the front of the house) and I get s**t wifi at the other end of the house. Plug the extender in half way, problem solved.

if you're shed is on the same power circuit as your house, you may be able to run ethernet over powerline adaptors. That's how I'm running Kayo on my two Nvidia Shield TVs as I thought the wifi may be too flaky.

Ethernet over power is not bad but results may vary based on the age of the circuits and if you are using other electrical devices on the same circuit. Max speed is half the max NBN speed but should be plenty for Foxtel or Kayo.

you just need wifi coverage, a powerpoint and a spare hdmi port on the TV for apple TV.

If you go the Kayo route, just be aware it uses a lot of data so you need a reasonably fast broadband connection and you will chew through your allowance if you have one. I think Kayo uses 6-8gb/hr and you might need abut 10mb/s for a smooth stream.

Wasn’t aware of the data usage, on an unlimited plan so never checked. It’s brilliant though, love the multi split, have two footy games and the rugby on at the same time, not sure the missus likes it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh no.

It looks like you will have to go down the pub and watch the footy :)

Yeah not too keen on that, always full of Power supporters - wanting to multi task and have the footy on whilst I make and break some stuff -also the my 18 year old wants to have a place to hang with his mates!

Chromecast with foxtel go as long as wifi is working. Chromecast 50 bucks. Just remembered you need to be on unlimited plan to get Chromecast streaming from memory. Otherwise hook up a laptop using wifi using hdmi cable to connect to tv.

Chromecast with foxtel go as long as wifi is working. Chromecast 50 bucks. Just remembered you need to be on unlimited plan to get Chromecast streaming from memory. Otherwise hook up a laptop using wifi using hdmi cable to connect to tv.

Pretty sure you have to add multi room to use chromecast.

The other option is to use something like
Hdmi over cat6
this that sits under you main tv, it splits the hdmi signal from your foxtel box and sends it via cat6 cable (cheap) to another tv, also sends your ir (remote) signal so you can change channels as if you had the foxtel box in front of you.
Not suitable if you want to watch something different to the rest of your family.
I have this set up to my bedroom and it’s like having a second box without paying for it.

Pretty sure you have to add multi room to use chromecast.

Your right. It just hit me. I would either just pay the 25 for multi or connect a laptop for free. Depends how much time in there.

Last edited:
The Foxtel Now box - $99 from JB - works really well.

Your right. It just hit me. I would either just pay the 25 for multi or connect a laptop for free. Depends how much time in there.

While chromecast is cheap I think it’s better to get an appletv for the extra $200 but understand that can be a big investment for some.

The other option is to use something like
Hdmi over cat6
this that sits under you main tv, it splits the hdmi signal from your foxtel box and sends it via cat6 cable (cheap) to another tv, also sends your ir (remote) signal so you can change channels as if you had the foxtel box in front of you.
Not suitable if you want to watch something different to the rest of your family.
I have this set up to my bedroom and it’s like having a second box without paying for it.

Haha if he is still yelling too loud at Jenkins in the back shed the wife can turn off the box inside lol

While chromecast is cheap I think it’s better to get an appletv for the extra $200 but understand that can be a big investment for some.

If budget is not a factor would go 4k with multiroom. The 4k afl matches look insane. You also get formula 1, cricket , rugby, barcelona, real madrid matches plus a myriad of other 4k sports, concerts, doco's, movies. Obviously need a 4k tv and need at least basic and sports. Fox show around 2 afl matches per weekend in 4k. Hopefully that will increase to 5 next year. The Masters Amen Corner 4k Coverage recently was off the chain. 4k sport is a game changer and will likely save foxtel from bankruptcy. Also think the future of sports viewing will be VR where the viewer will be out on the field with the players. Would be pretty cool.

Last edited:
If budget is not a factor would go 4k with multiroom. The 4k afl matches look insane. You also get formula 1, cricket , rugby, barcelona, real madrid matches plus a myriad of other 4k sports, concerts, doco's, movies. Obviously need a 4k tv and need at least basic and sports. Fox show around 2 afl matches per weekend in 4k. Hopefully that will increase to 5 next year. The Masters Amen Corner 4k Coverage recently was off the chain. 4k sport is a game changer and will likely save foxtel from bankruptcy. Also think the future of sports viewing will be VR where the viewer will be out on the field with the players. Would be pretty cool.

Haven’t upgraded the TV in a while, must admit the Kayo HD is pretty good given it’s a foxtel or 7HD feed. Have the occasional (one or two this season) minor glitch where it will drop back to SD for a second or two, with time they will sort that s**t out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back